HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Scotland Trip concluded

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

8/21/23 7:00 AM

Scotland Trip concluded

We had no issues. No lost luggage [had GPS tracking], no flight bumps. None of the planned tour stuff went wrong, beyond some meet up place ambiguity resolved by phone last minute.

Caught entire or parts of 5 Worlds events.

Trains go fast, like 100 mph so travel between cities is expedient as he!!. We started in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, back to Edinburgh. With a few train jaunts to Sterling and Perth.

Used ubers, taxis, trams, Brit/Scotrail and buses here and there, opting for no rental car.

Watcher zero TV, a rule I made ahead of time. ;)

Our planned places density was too thick, but we only lost going to Skye while in Inverness. Well and the Falkirk Wheel, although we ripped by it @ speed. ;)

No jet lag going, lots on return. We pushed things when we hit the states. 14 hour layover in Newark we made lemon aide out of. Rented a car and shot north for pizza and confab with old friends. One drove down from Brewster to Washington Township for the meet.

I mention that as it most likely played a big part in the return fatigue. Flying same direction the planet rotates and using most lot of the lay over not sleeping. ;) Plan was sleep on the plane coming over the big pond. Only I never get much shut eye flying.

We got about 3-1/2 hours sleep before heading to the airport for the last leg home. But car drop at EWR tram, and hotel 1/2 mile from that. Smooth running, albeit butt dragging.. ;)

Among castle visits was Doune, Monty Python Holy grail filming location. Holyrood where QE was laid in state. Edinburgh Castle including seeing the Tatoo.

And of course too many 'Outlander' filming locations for my taste. but no you know who's. ;) Oh, and Roslyn Chapel was ultra cool. The highlands are some of the most beautiful country I've seen in my lifetime.

Camera worked out great, but no so much for the Worlds. I got a lot of shots of the back of folks hands holding up their phones for camera shots when it mattered most. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

8/21/23 8:54 AM

Big wheel keeps on turning

Too bad you missed a ride on the Falkirk Wheel. It's an engineering feat, though you have to wonder if it's economically justified. Did you see the Selkies?

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

8/21/23 8:55 AM

Sounds like a great trip, Bob! Glad you got to go. Roslyn chapel was pretty cool, but Glenkinche distillery is close by and was more tasty. ;)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/21/23 8:56 AM

Did you see the Selkies?

At night, while dreaming only.

I quit drinking in 2008. Else this trip woulda been augmented quite different like. And I was single malt guy. ;)

Sparky

8/26/23 7:21 AM

Wow, week later and sleep cycle still askew.

Each day I make it 30-45 later. 05:33 this morning..

KerryIrons

8/27/23 1:55 PM

Direct sunlight is the standard treatment to get you back on the right time.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -