HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Sub 5hr century

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

8/6/23 12:25 PM

Sub 5hr century

Been waiting to try this for a couple weeks and today was the the day. Snuck in just under the 5hr mark, hit 100mi at 4:53:35. Last hour sucked hard because of the heat, got up to ~90F by the end. Went though 8 large bottles (carb and electrolyte mix) over the ride and I needed every one. Pretty chuffed about getting this done. I think a sub 4 hr century will be a long time coming... ;)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/6/23 2:15 PM

That's pretty good. I did 4:16 in 2000 dead flat mostly.

Best ever was 180 miler to Wildwood Crest 5-6 of us would do. I was the the pappi @ 43, next oldest was 35.

#hasbeen. 10 hours flat of rolling time. 18.1 avg.

Rob, that pretty impressive, how many days recovery since the rocket ride?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

8/6/23 3:36 PM

No way i could have ever done a 5 hour century even riding in a group. Thats impressive Rob.

RCoapman

8/6/23 4:59 PM

quote:
how many days recovery since the rocket ride?

One, yesterday, and not planned...it just happened. Tried to ride lightly Th/Fr but multiple times I found myself jamming close to threshold. I just love to push the pedals hard.

But I needed yesterday off, honestly, legs were still pretty sore. I'm not very good at acknowledging my own limitations...hence my several blow ups on that previous ride.

quote:
I did 4:16 in 2000 dead flat mostly.

That's flying...I had about 2k elevation gain, mostly small rollers and a lot of flat...just a couple spots you'd call 'sort of climby'.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/7/23 12:04 AM

Them was the days for me, legs 27.5" at the thigh. I look like twiggy anymore... @ the legs anyway. ;O

I though myself reasonable fast until late 50s, but honestly I am talking in standards we are discussing.

So still deadly to some, and to others like me 20+ years ago... not so much. On the good days 1000 miles into the season.

I have muscle imbalances a tennis ball or Hypersphere in the a.m. helps with. But my right hip, well lets say time to go to the hip guy for an x-ray.

Since the deep ball rolls in the a.m. I only feel it in the right. Before I felt it in both. Your brain decides that hurts and fire the muscles differently.

I so do not want a new hip... Elaine's got two already, from being pulled out by the leg breach her surgeon thinks... And she got first one @ 56, second @ 59. So totally bionic pelvis 2 years now. It is so nice to see her able to hike and walk without pain. And we are walking some on vaca. Edinburgh has some real gain getting up to the Castle area, steps, steps and more steps. I also noticed the rise here on stairs is quite a bit more aggressive than US. Even the escalators.

RCoapman

8/7/23 7:47 AM

lol, yeah...my legs are finally filling out again.

Imbalance- I'm actually going back to the fitter next week to sort out a chronic power imbalance that is driving me bonkers. It was worse when I first started riding with pedal-based meters last year but has settled into 57%L/43%R on nearly every ride. After hard efforts my L leg is always 3x more sore than my R.

This doesn't make sense as I'm massively R dominant in every system. My R leg is definitely stronger so, medical concerns aside, I'm wondering if I've developed a leg length discrepancy that is causing me to waste watts. I've lost about 3/4" in height since the last time I raced.

Yeah, been to that part of Edinburgh...the castle is definitely high up there. I was out of shape when I went there and felt it walking up that street.

Reply to topic    

LeeW

8/8/23 6:11 AM

Rob, that's an interesting issue with the apparent discrepancy. Keep the forum posted if the fitter has any observations.

First thing I would have wondered was if the sensors was inaccurate, but one leg getting more sore than the other would seem to vaguely confirm the readings.

If the fitter has no revelations, might be worthwhile trying a consultation with a good kinesiologist (sometimes hard to find) or a sports-medicine oriented chiropracter.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/8/23 8:33 AM

" I've lost about 3/4" in height since the last time I raced. "

This is mostly your discs between the vertebra, you bones loose density but a few mm on each disc shrinkage... I was 6' 1-1/4" @ 42. I am 6' 1/8 now.

You'll be 4' tall before you know it. ;)

RCoapman

8/8/23 9:06 AM

I'm also wondering if my patellar manisci or articular cartilage/acetabulum could have done the same thing. I have no apparent knee/hip issues (knocks on wooden skull) but if one side lost more tissue than the other that might account for length discrepancy.

Of course, I have no idea if this is new. I didn't have per-side power measurements 20 years ago. Maybe the SRM could have done it back then but the most I had was a power tap.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/8/23 9:27 AM

My inseam is same 34.250" it has been since about 22 yrs old. This tell me my shrinkage in is the discs, if I am correct...

My reach has changed about the same as my stack last 6ish years.

My 1st Strong [2000] is interesting to see my reach stack change.

588mm ETT, started out with 13CM stem and 123mm reach bars, 11CM saddle to bar drop.

Today, I have a 2CM machined sleve that presses into top of HT, and a 110 Stem with 80mm reach bars. There were progressions that started after 2006 tib/fib busted peg where I could hardly ride until 2009.

I thought I did not deserve to be a user posting here during that period.

There was no compact gearing really then. I cobbled an SLX triple on a narrow BB with the granny removed for a 32/46 IIRC. And I pulled the 13 cog and moved the spacer adding a 30t steel bail out cog on a 12-27 cassette. Only then I stayed on the bike.

My 39 ring with my climbing 27T hurt my knee way too much. I was able to stay on the bike after 3 failed seasons with old gearing with my new 32/30 low. ;)

Last edited by Sparky on 8/8/23 9:38 AM; edited 1 time in total

RCoapman

8/8/23 9:31 AM

Yes, that happens to all of us. Just speculating that if there is a leg length discrepancy what could have caused it if it's new

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/8/23 9:40 AM

Elaine said the knee cartridge, no. She's been in on Orthopedic surgeries for 25 years now. Lots of total knees and hips. I usually take he on her word. ;) Don't even have to google unless she sez she dunno..

She does 5-6 total hips a week. And they have 7 surgery rooms where she works. She can only be in one @ a time pretty much. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -