HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Garmin RTC715....

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

6/22/23 9:45 AM

Garmin RTC715....

Had a very close call getting buzzed by a jackass the other day. I was out of gears at ~45mph on a downhill, no shoulder, and d-bag goes by me within 6". Still pulling bits of chamois out of my nether regions.

Decided I need cameras. Settled on the Cycliq Fly 12 front camera. First ride was today and that seems pretty good but the Garmin is both great and terrible.

I bought the garmin knowing the app and file management was a complete dumpster fire, and it absolutely is. I'm not looking for an action camera so I don't need the app that often. But recording time and integrated radar sold me.

The great is the radar functionality esp with the integration with my Edge 830. I'm never surprised by cars anymore. I can get a sense of their relative speed and position (only fore/aft, nothing to tell if they are passing or about to squish me)

But this can be purchased as a separate unit with no light/camera. Even so, with the camera you can have the GPS coordinates, my speed, and the oncoming vehicle's speed shown on the video.

The light is....it's a light. It's a requirement for me to ride on the road and it works. Nothing extraordinary and nothing bad.

The bad is the camera. The resolution doesn't get me to the basic functionality we need in a camera- identification. The resolution isn't enough to read license plates. Now, if someone smashes into me I'm hoping that the extreme close up will get it readable but in the case of jackasses buzzing me it's not cutting it. Link below is an example. Even zooming in I could only sort 4/7 digits to about 60% confidence level. Not enough should I ever need to take this to court.

https://imgur.com/a/J5P6qZH

I may end up returning this and trying the cycliq rear with a separate radar unit. Given the $400 price tag the video is a huge disappointment

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/23/23 5:53 AM

While I fully understand the desire to gain at least the feeling of some level of control here, I don't see how radar or cameras would have made any difference in the situation you described. You were flying down a hill (nothing wrong with that) on a road with no shoulder (poor road design, not your fault), so what could you do if you knew someone was gong to come that close to you? Your only options would be to hold your line and hope for the best or go off the road and likely crash.

Sure, after the fact there might be some possibility of legal recourse if you were injured , but that's really about it. The likelihood of the cops going after someone for passing you too closely is pretty close to zero unless you could somehow show it was intentional (pretty unlikely). Worst case for them is that they get a traffic ticket, which wouldn't affect your outcome.

Close encounters with vehicles piss me off too, but I just don't see where radar would do anything other than divert my attention from the road - which is dangerous in itself - and make me anxious about approaching vehicles that I would normally just take in stride.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

6/23/23 6:20 AM

The biggest thing i noted in the close call was my surprise. I had a startle reaction, which at +45 made things even worse. The radar eliminates surprise and allows me to get over proactively, long before I hear the car if i hear it at all. Not that I'm always in the lane deliberately but i ride a lot of roads with almost no shoulder.

It's the elimination of surprise that really makes a difference for me and I notice no problems in paying attention to the road. I'm finding it super useful. Even if it's a placebo it's reducing my stress so it's effective in that way.

Fully agree that the camera may not do anything, but there is more of a chance than without.

Last edited by RCoapman on 6/23/23 8:33 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/23/23 7:58 AM

I used garmin varia and micro a mirror. I say used as I am not out near blunt skulls much any more. But if/when i do I use it.

I figured varia alerts made me look in mirror when it mattered. The distance it alerts is excellent.

But i needed to bluetooth connect to phone to get alerts loud enough to get alerted. To much ambiant noise outside to hear it on wrist unit, and even vibration alert on wrist lost in road buzz.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

6/23/23 8:32 AM

The Edge bike computer beeps loud enough that I hear it pretty clearly. Agree that wrist buzz is lost. I also have a Garmin Fenix watch and never feel alerts on it when I'm riding. Won't bother pairing it with varia.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/23/23 9:24 AM

I stuck the Garmin app with the most obnoxious alert tone in my Pixel Droid and stick in left pocket, side of best ear. ;)

It will show on display, Garmin or phone and display shows succession of of cars and their proximity to you and each other. It works very well. I have had bluetooth drops and had to re-pair now and again. But phone is pocket is a quick stop to repair. Usually once in a while and never twice on same jaunt FWIW.

I figured looking at my mirror constantly in trafficy situations raised front collision odds, so for me the varia is a look in the mirror alert. I still use those micro mirrors inside my Heater Lens for forever..

RCoapman

6/23/23 9:39 AM

I get the same on the edge, it shows a dot for each vehicle.

Last edited by RCoapman on 6/23/23 10:54 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/23/23 9:42 AM

I find that good, because you see 4-5 and know the window for covering your ars will be longer. Good data rolling IMO.

In my old fartdom, I confess to the get these devices off my lawn.

I just got a few luggage GPS trackers for Scotland trip. I want device dependence, not more.. yet another teather...

I like to keep it to a HRM on my bars, and honestly now that the Cardio Doc kicked me back to the GP and I am off any/all meds. I think I will ice that crap once I see my what my max is off cardio pills.

I felt like a 4 cylinder that lost a cylinder on that shit going up hills. Now my hips and knees just hurt doing it and zig/zaging up a really steep section yesterday..

Well am I supposed to be happy I still say things like "up a really steep section" at all? Or that I have a 66 year old friend that takes 15 seconds to get into a standing position from seated? ;)

I just wanna go roll outside in nice weather, which I am leaving to do right now, L8R...

RCoapman

6/23/23 10:59 AM

Definitely in the "get off my lawn" camp but the radar has been a surprisingly positive addition to my rides.

I hate that everything has an app, we are so dependent on our phones for basic functionality. Remember when phones were attached to the wall? Le sigh....

Wahoo is ridiculous and terrible with that, one app for the computer one app for the pedals, one app to bring them all and in t-e darkness bind them

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/23/23 2:56 PM

Remember when phones were attached to the wall? Le sigh....

I had my phone in the car awaiting the network to go live. With in 6 months I made a 20+ lb briefcase portable out of it with and alarm battery and magnetic antenna.

Talk about asking for it...

Brian Nystrom

6/23/23 6:34 PM

Rob, I hear what you're saying and I'm glad it all works for you.

I guess the "sonar receptors" on the sides of my head still function pretty well, as I'm almost never surprised by a motor vehicle. When I am, it's more likely to be a motorcycle than anything with four or more wheels.

I really think I'd have the opposite reaction to radar; it would just be an annoying distraction, rather than a comfort. "Different strokes"...or maybe "ignorance is bliss"? Heck, I don't know.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

6/24/23 2:16 PM

A constant trade-off. I ride with a few folks who have the Garmin radar and they are constantly calling out "car back" at just about the time I hear the vehicle. But I also ride with some folks whose hearing is not great and benefit from the radar.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/24/23 2:47 PM

I can see how in a group situation the radar might add an dynamic that wouldn't be good really, perhaps confusion or some ambiguity even.

My experience is strictly solo use FWIW.

Brian Nystrom

6/25/23 1:21 PM

I can't imagine that radar works reliably unless you're the last rider in line. For anyone with poor hearing, it makes a lot of sense.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

6/25/23 3:57 PM

I usually hear cars, emphasis on 'usually.' Head/side winds or wind from speed, see original post about being surprised by the car, means I do get surprised sometimes. If I'm hammering an interval and breathing hard, same thing. Just for that the radar makes sense to me.

Also it notifies me long before I can reasonably expect to hear any vehicle save for a down-shifting dumptruck.

Not trying to convince anyone, as you say 'different strokes', just saying that I do find it very useful. Surprisingly so.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

6/30/23 6:28 AM

I love my Varia. A gamechanger. One caution though- once or twice I've been caught out by a pickup with a trailer-you see the truck, and haaving seen one radar target you relax, but the trailer has yet to pass. Other than that, perfect.

RCoapman

6/30/23 9:27 AM

trailers- yup, happens on the regular where I ride

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/30/23 10:35 AM

I am lucky in that i have a few 45-50 mile paved bike trail rides, just crossings with out riding along with blunt skulls...

dan emery

6/30/23 2:43 PM

Still love my Berthoud mirror :)

BTW, how far back do you guys hear Tesla’s?

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

7/2/23 8:32 AM

Teslas on the road are no quieter than other sedans. It's only at very low speeds to electric vehicles present a hazard due to being quiet. Wind noise, tire noise, etc. is the same for a Tesla and a Camry.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/2/23 11:11 AM

My wife's Bolt make an intentional sound that is hard to miss. I believe aimed for pedestrian safety, not sure you'd hear it on a bike though...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -