HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

UCI Worlds

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

9/19/22 1:57 AM

UCI Worlds

Arrived yesterday just in time to watch the elite mens TT. Good reactions from the winner, who looked as though he didn't really believe that he'd won.

Had a really nice ride today up one of the local passes to the highlands and back down another. At the foot of the pass I climbed there was a sign saying that the road was closed, but I saw a couple of cyclists coming the other way, so kept going. There was a landslip about half way up that had taken out about half the road, and locked gates both sides of this section, but I just lifted my bike over the gates. This meant that there was absolutely zero traffic on the climb, other than some other cyclists.

On the descent of the other (much busier) pass, I saw quite a few teams and riders out training. A bunch of a dozen or so Italians were just cresting the climb as I was about to start the descent, then shortly after I saw about half a dozen English riders climbing (though not together), then about half way down I saw Wout Van Aert followed by three of his teammates, then when I'd reached the bottom and was heading towards the coast, there was a bunch of Spanish riders heading the other way. And finally, as I was coming back into Wollongong along the Princes Hwy with a strong tailwind, sitting on 35-40kph and feeling pretty good, the same four Belgian jerseys came flying past going a good 20kph faster.

I just had a look, and WVA posted his ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/7831337905/overview. 50% further than my ride and 50% faster as well.

p.s. Had a look on Strava again the following day, and it looks like his ride yesterday was just a leg loosener. Today was 226km with 2800m of climbing at an average speed of 36kph: https://www.strava.com/activities/7836683874/overview .

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

9/23/22 4:47 AM

The junior men's RR was one of the best races I've seen in a long time, finished with a really great sprint. Worth trying to find some coverage of it.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

9/23/22 8:57 AM

Awesome that you got to see the races and ride some of the course. Though I think anyone comparing their rides to WVT, including the other pros and even just out of curiosity, is a recipe for depression. ;).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/23/22 9:47 AM

I hear that right, Juniors UCI gear restrictions getting lifted??

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

9/23/22 3:52 PM

Yes, junior gear restrictions are being done away with from next year. There seem to be two reasons:

1. It's getting increasingly difficult to find components for the restricted gearing - 52t chainrings and cassettes with a 14t small cog.

2. The medical evidence in support of restricted gearing isn't there.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/24/22 6:45 PM

OK, Nick... were you a lawyer by chance?

VDP arrested from Hotel indecent prior to competition apparently.

I think in US there would be a pile of law suites. Dunno squat about OZ law. Well don't really know much [@US]

Least of which VDP team suing the Hotel. That lack of security will have loss of revenue ramifications to VDP/team via a Pro like VDP not competing conceivably???

Nick Payne

9/26/22 4:40 AM

Re MvDP, I know no more about it than I've read in the media. He was originally due in court tomorrow, but apparently he has pleaded guilty to assault and was fined $1500.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/26/22 9:26 AM

Some Buzz:

"Mathieu van der Poel has been convicted in Australia for the confrontation with two girls in a hotel in Sydney. The judge fined him $1,000 for pushing one girl and $500 for the other girl."

"Van der Poel flies back home at 10 a.m. Dutch time. His lawyer says he will appeal against the ruling and hopes that the rider will be acquitted."

Sound like path to fastest plane home was chosen. Won't be over for a while. Some other info suggests there is video...

RCoapman

9/26/22 12:30 PM

30 years ago if you heard about a professional athlete in this situation it would look pretty sketchy.

But with entitled, clueless teenagers who have no respect for adults these days I'm inclined to have a lot more sympathy to the adults. I have no doubt they were being utter little shits.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

9/26/22 5:29 PM

Here are some photos I took during the week. The first half dozen are from walks/rides we did, the rest are rather spotty coverage of the racing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QSYESCwQah9YbFbK9

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/26/22 6:50 PM

Nice, thanks for sharing...

This end alright?

Brian Nystrom

9/27/22 10:13 AM

Rob was correct, it was a couple of unsupervised little shits:
https://www.bicycling.com/racing/a41387873/mathieu-van-der-poel-arrested-fined-in-australia-after-hotel-altercation/?source=nl&date=092722

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/27/22 10:29 AM

image from that page, look at the shadow on the tarmac. ;)

Some photo chopping?

Nick Payne

9/28/22 4:42 PM

Belgian humour:

Reply to topic    

dan emery

9/28/22 4:58 PM

Excellent

That’s great.

Although we don’t know all the facts of course, but based on what I’ve read, I wouldn’t convict VDP for shoving those little twerps.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/28/22 7:16 PM

Yeah, that's pretty good. Agree on the brats...

Brian Nystrom

9/29/22 5:01 AM

While I certainly sympathize with Van der Poel, as an adult, he should have known better. He should have called the hotel management rather than taking matters into his own hands. literally. It was a dumb and forgivable action, but it doesn't prevent him from being legally culpable.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/29/22 12:28 PM

Wrong team, could be apropos with some jersey photo chop txt editing? #toolazytodoit

Post from PL thread I posted the first pic in.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -