HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

RIP Stan Swaim

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Bob Dymond

7/1/22 9:07 AM

RIP Stan Swaim

A notable figure in the history of US bicycle racing is on his final ride. Stan and Wendy Cram held training sessions in Dorset Vermont in the mid-70s, one of which I attended. He was a truly remarkable individual.

https://vtdigger.org/obituary/stan-swaim-outdoorsman-hall-of-fame-cyclist-burke-mountain-cross-country-ski-area-creator/

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/1/22 3:06 PM

RIP indeed

I know Stan Swaim only by reputation, but that was, kind of, enough.

I recommend watching this film. At least watch the first minute or so, where the the introduction of Stan is maybe my favorite introduction of anyone anywhere. Good short interview in the second segment as well. And his mom looks just as cool.

I remember Mark Sullivan, the guy from Buffalo who breaks away. I was once in a bike shop the same time he was…:). And I watched Sigi Koch win a crit in Buffalo.

http://www.wielercafe.com/2012/02/film-review-race-for-yellow-jersey.html

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/1/22 3:38 PM

Stan was still racing back when I started and I saw him when the Raleigh team came to Boston-area races. He had legs like tree trunks and was just a beast on the bike.

I wasn't aware of his connection with Burke Mountain. I've only been there once in the summer to ride the Kingdom Trails. I don't think any of those were his handiwork.

RIP Stan.

Reply to topic    

Bob Dymond

7/3/22 12:45 PM

Dorset Training Group

Thanks, Dan for the film link and picture of Dorset Training Group. Memories of my week at Dorset are still quite vivid, as it was my initiation into the cult of bicycle racing as it existed at the time. I can't forget catching Dickey Dunn shaving his legs in his room. It was horrifying and fascinating, I clearly did not know what I was getting myself into.

I remember 80 mile training rides, with John Allis, Stan, and John Humphrey actually flying his bike over railroad tracks. Allis and Humphrey would go off the front with the more advanced riders, and Stan would hang back with me and the newbees. Cycling celebs would drop by occasionally, like this wild man from Maine who could've been a competent bronc rider at some rodeo.

We'd ride all morning, come back to eat, rest, fix our bikes then have either a crit or class session. One class involved a trip to Rutland's Green Mountain Schwinn Cyclery. The owner was a former aircraft toolmaker and built wheels for the US Tour of Britain team. He would Loktite and swage the nipples down onto the spokes. Absolutely bombproof. His wheels came back from that campaign perfectly true! We wouldn't get back til after midnight, but have to get up for the next day's training ride.

Stan Swaim was brutally honest when he wouldn't let me ride in a fast crit. He said I just didn't know how to ride a bike well enough. Later on, I would come to appreciate that advice, as I could have hurt myself and a lot of others. Nevertheless, it was a marvelous, unforgettable glimpse of the monastic world of 1970s bike racers.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/3/22 2:17 PM

Yeah, back then we used to love jumping railroad tracks and drafting trucks. Frankly, it's amazing we survived all of the stupid shit we did.

I remember one training ride with five teammates in Greenfield NH where we were coming down a hill at a pretty good clip, two-abrest, in the rain. As we entered a blind left-hander, we discovered that it was actually a quick left-right S-bend with train tracks in the middle that were standing 2-3" proud of the road surface! There was no time to brake, so the only option was to jump. Two-by-two, we all lofted our bikes over the tracks and dove into the right-hand bend on the other side. Once we were straightened out and coasting again, we all looked at each other wide-eyed and said "What the f--- just happened?!"

Needless to say, it took a while for the adrenaline rush to subside, but we got a good laugh out of it and were very impressed with ourselves!

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -