HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Riding in Austin?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

5/1/22 3:18 PM

Riding in Austin?

A long shot, but wondering if anyone has ridden in or around Austin TX? I’m actually going to a conference there next week and have rented a bike for 3 days from Mellow Johnny’s! Hotel is on E. 4th, within a mile of the shop. I’ll probably be riding in the am for an hour or 2. Looks like quite a bit of green space nearby. Any ideas welcome. Yes I’m expecting Lance to set me up with the bike. :)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/1/22 4:02 PM

Hit Austin city limits site see if you can fit in anyone you might think you will like...

Can't help biking, other than to say google map it and use cycling overlay. Quick look seems off road might be better rental?

I've done well with a few CA riding spots via google maps cycling overlay seeking. Redding CA and Sacramento riding from this method worked out very well for me.

We were in SanDiego, and Sacramento last week with a Vegas jaunt. No cycling after much googling for it and rental seeking. Wife filled up the time between airports fully. I'd have got a few short rides maybe. Yada

>>Austin's concrete surface Walnut Creek Trail appears not too short, but I am just posgoogelating... But looks like 10 out 10 back for a short ride. There is another connector that is 11 miles, so you could map together a loop with 40+ miles maybe.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

5/2/22 9:13 AM

RWGPS

Check out RideWithGPS. A bunch of locals will have mapped rides. Just search rides within 25 miles of Austin and you will find lots of choices.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

5/7/22 10:11 AM

Thanks all

Won’t have to worry about packing tights, long sleeves, etc. - high freakin’ 90s.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/7/22 5:43 PM

Sunscreen? ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

5/15/22 11:21 AM

Good cycling city

Austin is a good cycling city. Didn’t get out of the city as I was pretty busy at the conference and had very early morning flights. But there was a very nice 10 mile mostly gravel loop around Lady Bird Lake just blocks from the hotel, in the heart of downtown. So I mostly rode there. Plus downtown there are various types of bike paths and lanes (and seemingly public electronic scooters everywhere). It was easy to ride or walk (or scoot) anywhere, encountered no hostility at all.

Rented a 58 Checkpoint at Mellow Johnny's, same bike I have except it was Ultegra. No problem, I have so many different shifting schemes anyway it’s easy to adapt…:). MJ’s is a good shop, rental very smooth.

Highs were mid-90s but I liked the weather. It was not humid. I rode mostly early morning, could ride 1 1/2 hour and barely sweat. Even at mid-day it was hot but not oppressive.

I’d like to go back and add some riding in Hill Country.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/15/22 4:16 PM

The heat and low humidity in the southwest is deceptive, as the reason you don't think you're sweating is that evaporates immediately and you never feel wet. You can get seriously dehydrated in short order without realizing it. Been there, done that.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

5/16/22 4:55 AM

Thanks Brian

Important to keep in mind. This trip I was riding mostly early when it wasn’t too hot, but I expect I lost more fluid than was apparent. I’ve also in the past dehydrated without realizing it - not pretty….

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

5/17/22 8:03 AM

The key thing is to check the humidity daily. When it's down below 20 percent - and particularly when it's below 10% - you can turn into a prune in a hurry! Even if it's not hot, you lose a lot of fluid through respiration.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

5/18/22 10:08 AM

Prunes

quote:
you can turn into a prune in a hurry

Looking in the mirror every morning over the past few decades, I would describe the prunification as being a slow but VERY steady process :)

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -