HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Mirrors...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

4/5/22 2:28 PM

Mirrors...

I should probably start using one. What are the gotchas with helmet vs glasses mounted ones? Any recommendations?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/5/22 3:46 PM

Been using the mini 'cycle aware view point' for 20+ Years. Nate turned me on to it way back.

Never tried a helmet one, doubt I will ever try one.

I also wear contacts riding, and never had an issue with the contacts. You kinda gotta really look up to the left to see image in mirror.

I still use M Frames too, the heater lens neither curtails a good mounting spot for the mirror, and sit tight to the face so contacts don't get hurricaned out or anything. System that works I am not looking to alter frankly.

I have gone to CA gluing to the lens after 2 mirrors falling off when the adhesive failed, usually after a few years of sweat and cleanings.

I think the only way to see if you'll like them is to try one. 14.00 ish space bucks..

I added the Garmin Varia radar last year so get alerted to when to look in the mirror, instead of looking so much I hit something with my front tire ;O

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

4/5/22 3:52 PM

https://bicycletouringpro.com/cycleaware-viewpoint-sunglasses-bike-mirror/

dan emery

4/5/22 3:56 PM

FWIW

I didn’t use a mirror forever, and have never used a helmet or glasses mounted one, but I recently started using this and love it:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/handlebars/berthoud-standard-bar-end-mirror-mk-ii/

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/5/22 4:09 PM

I forgot about you having got and really liking that bar end mirror.

Andy M-S

4/6/22 3:24 AM

I've used both helmet and bar-mount mirrors. For a roadie position, I really like bar-mounted ones, and I've used several kinds, but with my 'new' upright position, which puts me considerably farther from the bars, a well-adjusted helmet mount suits me better. I've used a few of these also, and except for the tiny convex mirror that came as an add-on for the old Bell Metro helmet, they're all pretty good.

Brian Nystrom

4/6/22 6:14 AM

"Mirrors...

I should probably start using one."

Why?

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

4/6/22 9:16 AM

Why? Because I ride alone in an area with few, if any, decent shoulders on 55mph roads. I also live in an area that seems to still be very unfriendly, or at least completely indifferent, to cyclists. I did a 90min ride this weekend and got buzzed, deliberately or unintentionally is kind of immaterial tbh, a few times. Had one redneck go by screaming with their arm out the window...not sure if they were trying to make physical contact...and I've just barely started riding outside after many years. I literally had about 5 minor 'incidents' within an hour and a half and experience has decreased my trust in the average human being, especially drivers.

On my motorcycle, I see asshats talking/texting on cell phones all the bloody time but I have a better shot at braking or accelerating away from stupidity on a moto. My only real option on a bicycle is to dodge/veer out of the way and I probably won't see anything coming from behind, because looking back all the time sucks and I honestly don't do it anyway, without a mirror.

When I rode around here before I was a little too worried about looking cool despite the often antagonistic attitude of the locals but I guess I'm older and wiser now. Irrespective of how others perceive a mirror, if any of them even care, I want to get home without incident and a mirror seems like a low cost, low effort way to make that at least a little more likely.

And in full candor, hearing about Rick not long after coming back to the forum and cycling seems to have had an impact on me. Every time I hear a car behind me that thought comes up.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/6/22 9:46 AM

GUIs in cars=problem IME.

Mitigation for me is a given. Rob, you thinking about a Varia? So you and your mirror dont still get plowed down because you didn't happen to look at it when it mattered. ;)

Brian Nystrom

4/6/22 10:47 AM

Thanks for the details of your situation, Rob; it certainly sounds pretty bad. Fortunately, incidents with belligerent drivers have been pretty rare for me in recent years, either here in NH or down on the Cape. We do make it a point to avoid the busiest and highest speed roads as much as possible, which at least reduces our risk somewhat. I typically ride alone up here at home, but it doesn't change my behavior any.

Considering that I ride with a hydration pack - a major sin according to the roadie fashion police - whether a mirror looks cool on not isn't a concern. However, I really wonder if they actually do any good or if it's more of a psychological comfort. The radar thing just seems like expensive overkill, although some Cannondale bikes come equipped with from the factory it now.

The latest numbers I've seen indicate that only 5% of car-bike collisions involve the cyclist being hit from behind. It's not zero, but it does put the risk in perspective. Call me crazy, but for the areas I ride in most of the time, mirrors and such just seem unnecessary. Frankly, the idiots on multi-use paths are far more of a danger, on the rare occasions I ride on them.

That said, you should obviously do whatever you feel is appropriate. I'm certainly not questioning your judgement.

Reply to topic    

Tom Price

4/6/22 11:09 AM

Taillight?

I have never used a mirror, if I was still riding I would consider it. A few years ago I added a bright flashing taillight to my bike. I noticed a major increase in the berth that drivers gave me on the road. This change made me more a center of attention to distracted and braindead drivers. This probably does not affect agressive drivers but thankfully they are a small minority.

dan emery

4/6/22 11:41 AM

Mirror

I look at it more as protecting me from my own mistakes. I doubt I would see a distracted driver and have time and space to dodge (though maybe, I guess). But I ride on a busy road where I need to take a left in the middle of a block, and I have to see what's behind me before crossing the lane. If I look over my shoulder I sometimes veer to the left a bit which can be a bit hairy. I'd rather look down into the bar end mirror. I actually like to look in the mirror.

Last edited by dan emery on 4/6/22 12:05 PM; edited 2 times in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/6/22 11:44 AM

Before the varia i used for years a serfas high lumen light. It supposedly could be seen @ 1mile off at night @55 mph car.

The Varia chages its pattern upon a radar hit. Suppossed human brain noticing algorithm.

How it's efficacy is quantified, no idea...

Brian Nystrom

4/6/22 12:14 PM

Dan, I can see that being useful. For me, that type of situation occurs when turning into my driveway (I live on a busy street, unfortunately). It gets awkward when I have to slow to a crawl and check traffic in both directions. Are you actually able to judge the speed and distance of vehicles approaching from behind? That would be critical in my situation.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/6/22 12:27 PM

Judgmental

Actually i can judge speed and distance pretty well. With the mirror adjusted properly, I get a long view of the lane, and with a little experience i can judge distance and speed well enough to know whether I can pull over or not. With that little mirror adjusted properly, I can see cars way behind me.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/6/22 12:38 PM

Thanks!

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/7/22 3:39 AM

lights

On a related topic, I now have three taillights: my dynamo light on the fender, a superflash on my saddlebag, and an odd USB-rechargeable that was an impulse buy (COVID/Facebook) on the left rear fender mount. It senses movement and, so long as I'm rolling, blinks slowly, but when it senses deceleration, goes to a solid red. Sort of an automatic brake light. I've had drivers remark on it. Not bad for $30 or so.

Ibis99

5/1/22 6:28 PM

How about

how about a Garmin Varia

Sparky

5/1/22 7:54 PM

"how about a Garmin Varia"

Up thread we talked a bit about it.

Repeating myself, I use the varia to alert me to look in the mirror.

This way I can see in the tiny mirror the car as it turns me into Earl the Flat Cat. Anyone remember Earl?

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -