HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cool riding

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

12/4/21 4:37 PM

Cool riding

Anyone else enjoying riding in the nippy weather? Maybe because my summer was screwed up, I知 really liking riding in the 20s - 30s F this year, even in pretty brisk wind. Roads dry and sunny, riding is great. Have good winter kit, still love my mirror (other thread), and just got a great pair of Castelli winter gloves (I知 usually dissatisfied with winter riding gloves for one reason or another, but these are great). Think I値l keep to relatively clear roads this year (no studs) but otherwise, bring it on!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/4/21 5:16 PM

Woods maybe, hitting even 20 mph when its 35' is more than i can take for road bike...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

12/4/21 7:30 PM

I'm mostly Mt. Biking when morning temps are low 30's. We haven't seen anything below freezing yet (Long Island), but I'm good to 20 with the clothing Ive paid a lot of money for. If there's no snow, the local single track is wonderful to ride on, conditions this morning were exceptional. Snow closes us down.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

12/4/21 8:52 PM

Low 30s to mid 40s here, and the riding is very pleasant. This morning concluded with two errands傭agels and flan. Always fun to provide lunch post-ride.

Brian Nystrom

12/5/21 7:31 AM

I don't ride the road when there's any possibility of ice, which is a lesson I learned 40+ years ago. I don't really enjoy road riding when it's below 40 degrees anyway.

When it's cold and/or windy, I'll hit the woods on the gravel bike, hardtail, or fat bike, with studded tires if necessary (on the latter two). The lower speeds and shelter from the wind makes it much more pleasant. Once you figure out how to dress for it, riding in the cold, snow and ice is fun!

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/5/21 8:50 AM

No worries, Spark

I知 riding the Crosscheck on a rolling loop and commuting/errands, if I get anywhere near 20 mph it痴 on a downhill for maybe 5 seconds max.

I do a little bit of trail on my commute but mostly road.

As long as my feet, hands and ears are OK, I知 generally comfortable. Have a good hat with ear flaps, good booties and gloves. Single numbers, if I知 so inclined, probably pull out the down mittens (though I値l test the new gloves first) and think about face covering.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

12/5/21 9:44 AM

Cold enough for you?

Some of you may remember that I commuted year round in central Michigan for more than 30 years, so I know how to dress for the cold. That said, I don't find it fun, so my cutoff is around 40F as well. It seems like there is always something that is too cold and something that is too hot and sweaty no matter how much I experiment with clothing. I don't mind the rollers and it allows me to catch up on all my accumulated reading.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

12/6/21 8:10 AM

Winter Commute

I no longer commute by bike--more's the pity--but if I was commuting this time of year in a place that gets below freezing, I wold be riding studded tires. Saved my life once in Wisconsin.

Fortunately, this week in CT is going to see temps in the high 50sF.[/i]

greglepore

12/8/21 7:33 AM

40 for me. I'm usually on gravel at that point anyway. I am amazed at how good modern gear is, but old nagging injuries make cold riding no fun.
I've actually backed away from winter training a bit, and do more trail running etc. Still get on a bike or trainer a couple times a week, but don't feel the need to be religious about it.

Dan, I've not been over here for a while, and just read about your fall. Glad you seem to have recovered. It certainly gets harder to recover as we age.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -