HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

S-Works Collecting...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

9/21/21 6:11 PM

S-Works Collecting...

This pretty rare 1992 S-works MTB mostly original was more than I could bear to pass on. ;)

Quad Butted Made in Japan Frame.

-----
And this NIB/NOS 2014 claimed some extra cash from a few Ti frame sales..

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Craig

9/22/21 2:31 AM

Love that hardtail. I remember my friend buying the same thing but 2 years later in a deep maroon colour, and being jealous. I had a 94-ish S-Works FSR that was stolen from my apartment in University. It had the titanium bits carbon wrapped Mag21 fork thing, that twisty noodle of a titanium Specialized stem in 130mm, and Machine Tech brakes that did nothing but look pretty (and, boy, did they look pretty). My insurance from the stolen bike bought me the last steel Stumpjumper (in fire engine red!!! rare!!!) (apparently shipped to Canada by mistake) made in Japan and specced in full XT including first gen 747 pedals and those first generation v-brakes that developed a ton of play within weeks of buying them. I never noticed the brakes because I upgraded the stock rigid fork to an Amp linkage fork that developed a ton of play within weeks of buying them. It was a neat bike. I still own the Stumpy though the parts have changed and the Amp fork is long gone after being rebuilt three or four times. I often wonder what nefarious fate the FSR S-works experienced. Your mountain bike needs more purple. It's a beautiful bike that I'd ride in a second, even today.

The grey 2014 carpet fiber road bike does nothing for me. Have you got the year right? None of my "2014 s-works" googles show anything with disc brakes. I believe you, but I guess I don't believe you because I'm asking the question.

It's odd seeing both these bikes in the same post. The mountain bike represents everything I used to love about Specialized as a cycling pioneer. The road bike is everything I hate about Specialized as a marketing juggernaut. Zertz and that seatpost makes me ill. It's probably a great bike. I'll never know.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/22/21 8:59 AM

The Roubaix sold as a frame set. It is a quite bold metalic silver actually.
58 Specialized are one of the few off the peg frames that give me perfect fit. I usually have to size up with some compromise. That in itself is a win for me.

The MTB is legacy really, a super lively steel that is best offering of the day.

I had an 8R Sora new in 2014 that had the dead carbon feel, which i sold off pretty fast. Besides fit, the 11R has more lively feel, ride and response. The 30mm tubulars on carbon low profile rim is super nice feel too. So yeah, nicebike to roll.

What i was after and always wondered about when I had the complete bike/8R Sora level one. But these s-work frames then were $3800.00 as i recall. Buying the 8R on sale for $1400.00 and popping on a 7800 group I had was a tenable undertaking at the time.

The CG-R is viable McClaren tech that works way better than the ugly stick I agee it is visually...

Last edited by Sparky on 9/22/21 9:38 AM; edited 2 times in total

Sparky

9/22/21 9:17 AM

quote:
None of my "2014 s-works" googles show anything with disc brakes

https://www.specialized.com/is/en/s-works-roubaix-sl4-disc-frameset/p/50913?color=151468-50913

BTW, I've had a SL3 S-Works Tarmac for a while. This level Specialized are great rolling. And the 11R level carbon, like the HMX Scott Addict I rode for 5 seasons have a great feel to them. I got spoiled to it by that Addict. But perfect example of one up size that ultimately the fit was only OK for me.

This close up pic from eBay shows the SL4 colorway better. It lights up nice under a clear sky.

Here is the Tarmac. Again, my curiosity to see/feel/taste/smell when a used fuselage came up for a killer price a few years back got satisfied.

Sparky

9/22/21 9:35 AM

If interested, here are some links to close up shots of the 1992 MTB. Shows the XC-Pro stuff up close and grease ports etc.

http://coupekiss.host-ed.me//images/ttf/Temp/00a0a_83VmZPCJDBcz_0ak07K_600x450.jpg

http://coupekiss.host-ed.me//images/ttf/Temp/00c0c_7K41UjgJIjFz_0ak07K_1200x900.jpg

http://coupekiss.host-ed.me//images/ttf/Temp/00C0C_jknWq7W2bogz_0ak07K_1200x900.jpg

http://coupekiss.host-ed.me//images/ttf/Temp/00o0o_33aByjG5ECyz_0ak07K_1200x900.jpg

http://coupekiss.host-ed.me//images/ttf/Temp/01313_lKPbJh8GQY8z_07K0ak_1200x900.jpg

http://coupekiss.host-ed.me//images/ttf/Temp/00a0a_83VmZPCJDBcz_XCak07K_600x450.jpg

And I stuck some old Green Michelins on it.

The orig tire/tubes and rim tape not really ride-able, even though I did take it for a woods spin with them.

The rim tape strips literally fell out in 10s of pieces when I took the tires off. But tires held air somehow. ;)

Brian Nystrom

9/22/21 7:29 PM

Now that's a real stem!

Reply to topic    

dfcas

9/23/21 9:49 AM

The short stems they put on modern bikes with a 66^ head angle are cowardly.

Andy M-S

9/23/21 10:27 AM

Green Michelin Tires

I had a set of those greenies back in the oughts on a bike I had set up for early winter commuting. They were (IIRC) a trade I got from someone. Labeled for "cyclocross" use and looked spiffy.

However, my memory is that the uncoated fabric sidewalls came apart pretty easily, and the moderately lugged tread wore out very fast.

Do they still even make those?

Sparky

9/23/21 4:32 PM

"Do they still even make those?"

Doubt it, these been here for a long time. Next to the Klein death grips I'll try after I tear all the knobs off the Michelins. ;)

Brian Nystrom

9/24/21 8:37 AM

I think that consumers have finally realized that colored-tread tires just don't last long. Carbon black is a key ingredient in making tire treads and eliminating it results in poor performance.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/6/21 4:31 PM

Updated sneakers. Less cobble boots and more running sneaks. Not that it really matter riding solo, but some lower rolling mass by a bit.

Test rode up a climb with a good steep section I ride with the 30 cobble tires Sunday, will repeat with these tomorrow. ;) Once glue is mostly dry...

Also put a 4 pot Juintech caliper up front, and orig stem was too short.. Cockpit all set now.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -