HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Friday 13th ride

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

8/13/21 9:29 AM

Friday 13th ride

Not much of a believer in superstitions but it's fun to use the date for something. We're on our regular Friday ride today and I notice that my seat is low. Then I notice it is "quite low" and that I can change the angle by pushing on it with my thigh. I've never had a seat post bolt "come loose" before but I have the needed wrench so I plan to tighten it when we get to the point of the ride where some go on for a longer distance and I head home. Meanwhile another guy who planned to take the "short loop" with me is complaining that his right pedal feels funny. We stop and I get out my 4mm wrench, loosen the clamp bolt, bring the seat up to the right height, start tightening the clamp bolt and hear/feel a CRACK. As they say in Deutschland, SHEISSE! Broken clamp. The only saving grace is that I have a Thompson post with a bend, so the post can only drop so far. 17 miles from home but I can make it as a "low rider." The other guy is still complaining about his pedal feeling funny.

We ride about a mile and on a little incline I hear him saying something. We stop and his Ultegra right crank has split. It wasn't his pedal, it was the crank coming apart right from left. This is the second one of these I have seen in the past year and apparently it is well-publicized on bike forums. While I could ride home, he could not! I rode straight to a bike shop and got a new seat clamp. I hope he got a ride home. What are the chances of two such failures on the same ride? Friday the 13th!

Reply to topic    

dfcas

8/13/21 10:03 AM

I'm not riding today....

The real reson is its too hot.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

8/13/21 10:27 AM

Heat here... We are in another 3 day heat event. Not 116^ like last one, but just was forecast to be 103-108^. The hottest of the 3 day peaked @ 103^ giving us a little break VS what was forecast.

LeeW

8/13/21 11:21 AM

The guy could have ridden home one legged, right? 😳

I once had a pedal axle sheer clean off and a ride I rode home 6 miles doing one leg drills. There was about a one mile incline at 6-7% and thought my quad was to fall off. Lol

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

8/15/21 1:59 PM

Peg leg Peet

After the guy told me that he was OK and had somebody to call, I took off. 16 miles to go. Later I thought "I wonder if he could have done it one-legged?" And then I thought "If this had happened to me would I have done it one-legged?" We'll never know. And it would have been left-leg, which is my weaker leg.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

9/4/21 2:29 PM

Another one

And now yesterday I'm in a rotating pace line of about 10 folks and the people in front offer no warning. All of a sudden there are bikes going every which way and a bunch of water bottles on the road. I'm trying to dodge them when I hit the cause of the problem: one of those water line valve caps (6 in diameter metal cap) has been nit by a car tire and flipped, so the flange that is suppose to anchor it into the road is sticking up. Picture a cast iron round cake pan with the sides sticking straight up about 3 inches above the road surface. I hit it square on and DOUBLE pinch flat.

They all took off and it took me 20 minutes to get back on the road. I carry one spare tube so I had to use a Park instant patch on the second tube, and it was hard to find the snake bite because the air leaked out as fast as I could pump. I started balling up the inner tube and holding it while pumping and finally found the holes. Plus, in all the confusion somebody took one of my water bottles (the full one) that had ejected! Luckily they must have left theirs behind so at least I had water.

Only later in the ride did I start to get pi$$ed about how the riders on the front gave no warning even though they had a clear line of sight to the hazard. Sometimes I think people just don't know how to lead. Good riders would have easily spotted the problem and led the group right around the thing with hardly a word said. Annoying to say the least!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/4/21 3:44 PM

"I hit it square on and DOUBLE pinch flat"

But was it double snake bites each of your wheels?

I have only had one snake bit single wheel double pinch in all my road riding decades...

dan emery

9/4/21 3:53 PM

Bummer

Yes, obviously experienced riders signal obstructions and ride around them, and the signal passes down the line.

I don’t do pacelines anymore, except maybe in an event if I’m comfortable with the other riders. Once when I hadn’t ridden awhile I started a club “B” ride and after about 10 minutes in the pack I said “I’m out of here” and went to the front and stayed there. Riding in a paceline is a skill and lots don’t know how to do it - they stand and slip the rear wheel back on hills, brake without notice, etc.

I’m too old and life’s too short for that. Now get off my lawn too!

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

9/5/21 7:40 PM

Paceline Etiquette

When I started riding, there were a number of other novices, mostly men in their 40s. Over the years, their idea of becoming better riders was to ride faster. They got faster and stronger but not smarter or wiser. Group rides were more like bike polo than recreational.

I, on the other hand, know what I don't know, and ride accordingly--mostly solo these days, or with a friend or two.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

9/6/21 9:28 AM

Bites

quote:
But was it double snake bites each of your wheels?

Yup. And not little snake bite holes, but each about 2 mm long. They were big enough that I needed to use two patches on each tube - I wanted a patch centered on each hole.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -