HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

New MTB! Well more like new appropriation being a 1992

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

8/22/21 10:54 AM

New MTB! Well more like new appropriation being a 1992

Saw this locally and had to grab it. I had given my Last year of the Steel Stumpjumpers with SID shock along with a seldom used GT Karakorum to a friend/neighbor and wife for a huge favor repay. He cleared 1/4 acre briar and graded out my back lot for greyhound romapge while he had a machine here for some work behind his place.

This S-Works Steel Frame and steel Fork [wanted no shock], from original owner. Limited only racers and guys that worked at Spesh shop had access to buy them. He worked at LBS, and looks like it got ridden pretty sparingly with only a few paint scrapes even. Not too nice to not ride it. ;) And I intend to.

The Stumpy frame was Taiwan made tripe butted TrueTemper, nice in itself. But internet sez these were Made in Japan with quad butted Steel from my google festing.

The original booklet he provided states "Special Optimized Direct Drive Prestige main tubes, [quad butted ones] superlight chainstays. Fork:Direct Drive Tange bulge butted special frged tips.

Pro XC and Grease guard ports and indexed Suntour bar/thumb shifters etc. 7 speed. 20/32/42 chainset. Saddle alone got me a good bike drool going.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

8/22/21 11:34 AM

BTW, 1992 S-Works Catalog shows a CX bike with same frame build. Kill for that.. ;)

dfcas

8/22/21 12:06 PM

Is the stem factory drilled? They would make 4 or 5 stems out of that one today. 5cm is about average now.

Sparky

8/22/21 1:29 PM

Looks factory drilled...

Yeah, close look shows tigged sleeve and lips..

Last edited by Sparky on 8/22/21 4:49 PM; edited 1 time in total

Nick Payne

8/22/21 3:59 PM

I found that the bearings in my Suntour greaseguard hubs didn't last long - they were on my commute bike, and the bearings clapped out in about a year: got extremely rough. I pulled them and replaced them with normal bearings with LLU seals, and those lasted a lot longer.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/22/21 4:48 PM

Nick, musta been that southern Hemisphere gravity thingy.. ;)

Some light wrenching, 747s on, and a woods ride today. It is more lively than my 1995 StumpJumper was, noticeably.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -