HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

*Finally* a use for the 11t cog!

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Andy M-S

6/2/21 9:01 AM

*Finally* a use for the 11t cog!

Over the weekend, I converted my bike to a 1x9. I went from a 46/30 x 12-25 9-speed setup to a 42 x 11-36. It looks a little weird not to have a front derailer on there, and sometimes the jumps between shifts are a little off from what I would consider ideal, but the range! everything from 42/11 (3.82) to 42/36 (1.17) on one hand.

Previously, I had messed around with this using just the 30 and the existing cassette, so my range was 30/13 (2.31) to 30/25 (1.2).

I think this is going to be fun...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

6/2/21 10:38 AM

You’ll like it

I have a 1x11 on my Checkpoint (gravel bike) and love it. I wanted mine to be D2R2 worthy, so I have a 38 with 11-42. With that setup, when I couldn’t get into the 11 for awhile due to a bent hanger, I really missed it! Couldn’t care less about the gaps.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/2/21 11:12 AM

Riding solo or with others geared with holes also no big gig...

Road ride with closer ratio-ed riders... Not so much..

I still have a few 2x with a seldom, but not never, used 28t.

28/40, 28\42,

Andy M-S

6/4/21 6:53 AM

Yeah!

I'm really enjoying the 1x9 experience. This weekend, I expect that I will remove the left shifter pod from my handlebars and neaten things up a little but, overall, it's really a rather nice way to go.

I expect there are much lighter cassettes than the one I bought; it's pretty clear that the bike is heavier now, but since a few grams doesn't matter for the kind of riding I do (if it did, I would diet), I'm not terribly worried.

Other changes coming to the bike--the stem that I bought is quite high (even bottomed out in the head tube), which troubles me from a purely aesthetic point of view. I will likely flip the handlebars over and cut the stem about 1.5"-2" to see if things look a little better that way. My hands will be at (nearly) the same place--a little more forward, but not much.

Final thing: Sprung Brooks saddles seem to have a tendency to creeeeak, I'm going to be looking into lubricating the metal/metal points of contact. Creaky as the saddle may be, however, it makes the upright position a whole lot more comfortable.

Sparky

6/9/21 10:17 AM

What cassette did you decide for the 1x launch?

Not many ways around these 34+ cassette weights it seems. I do have a XTR 11-40 that is impressively light for what it is. Used for 75.00, new on them I am too cheap for.

I do have a few Sunrace 36-42 upper end that are reasonable considering... And not too pricey either.

Andy M-S

6/10/21 5:10 AM

I paid $20 plus shipping for a Microshift 11-36. Clearly hefty, but cheap!

Wheels

7/1/21 3:38 PM

Huh?

53 x 11 was my cruising gear when I rode mega miles. (Kidding). But I did spin it out twice going 60 mph down a mountain pass road in Utah.

Wheels

Reply to topic    

dan emery

7/1/21 5:15 PM

Right

Yeah Wheels, I’m sure you powered over the rollers in the ol’ 53-11. ..😅.

I don’t think I ever used a 53-11, but I did spin out a 53-12 once in the sprint at a race at Lake Wiinnepasaukee. The finish rolled down the hill to the Lake followed by about 200m flat. My weight was an advantage. I won the sprint but unfortunately I guy had broken away so I didn’t win the race.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

7/2/21 9:15 AM

Spun

quote:
I did spin it out twice going 60 mph down a mountain pass road in Utah.

By the time you get to about 35 mph you are faster in a tight tuck than you can pedal because sitting up to pedal increases your aero drag so much. Simple physics.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

7/2/21 11:03 AM

No FIghting Dog

I have no canine in this fracass since my chainring is a 42. I do think that for my age, 42x11 is about all I'm ever going to need.

As Kerry points out, there are ways to get faster, I just have to find the right hill.

Wheels

7/2/21 1:20 PM

quote:
By the time you get to about 35 mph you are faster in a tight tuck than you can pedal because sitting up to pedal increases your aero drag so much. Simple physics.

Sorry Kerry, disagree. Mountain road was 8% (North Ogden Pass) and had a few twists and turns at the top and only about 4000 ft or so or relatively straight downhill section before sweeping left back into North Ogden. Coasted down that road section many times and could never get about 45-50 in full tuck. One day decided to pedal as fast as I could from the top in a semi-tuck to see how fast I could go. Probably around 110 - 120 pedal rpm max (maybe not full spin out but I couldn't make the bike go faster) Max pedaled, dropped into a tuck for about 20 seconds, saw 60 on the computer, felt the bike start to shimmy and immediately started to sit up which slowed me down to 45 before the brakes had any measurable effect.

Scariest and possibly the most stupid thing I have done on a bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/2/21 1:29 PM

The reason I disagree also is based solely on the now illegal super tuck, more so that pros were pedaling while in it. In my minds eye anyway. ;)

KerryIrons

7/4/21 3:08 PM

Doing the math

quote:
could never get about 45-50 in full tuck. One day decided to pedal as fast as I could from the top in a semi-tuck to see how fast I could go. Probably around 110 - 120 pedal rpm max

You can't beat the math. 120 rpm in a 53/11 is about 45 mph. If you pedaled up to 60 mph, you were doing 160 rpm. I have no idea whether this is within your capabilities, but no way were you going 60 mph at 120 rpm. Do the math yourself and report back.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/4/21 5:16 PM

Yeah but, he is running 36" rims... ;)

dan emery

7/4/21 5:31 PM

Except that

What he said was he maxed out pedaling and then dropped into a tuck.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

7/5/21 8:32 PM

quote:
Except that

What he said was he maxed out pedaling and then dropped into a tuck.

Yeah, but if max speed on that descent in a tuck is 45-50, pedalling up to that speed and then getting into a tuck isn't going to get you any faster...

Speaking of 36" rims, for anyone who has a GCN+ subscription, have a look at the video "Reinventing The Wheel" - 6'8" ex-pro Conor Dunne has a custom frame built around that wheel size to finally get a bike that fits him.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/5/21 10:18 PM

I have seen 6'6" and 6'8" claims..

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -