HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Hitch mount racks

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

5/29/21 11:16 AM

Hitch mount racks

Never had one but I expect to get one. Need to carry at least 3 bikes. Don’t need to carry mountain or fat bikes. Have 2” receiver. Any thoughts on what models/styles work best? TIA

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/29/21 1:20 PM

I like the ones with the wheel loops. A lot carbon bikes do have hanging from the top tube warranty limits too.

Depending on rear access need, swing aways can be good.

But I think the 3x thing could make these a problem.

Mine was 2x and I have only 1 loop set on for a while, fast and easy to toss back on. [inside car when out on ride]

But since I got the Pacifica cavern, it sits unused. But for the Fit and Del Sol now gone it was a solution I liked. But quick take off and lock in car was the normal operation.

I took 3 steel square tubes off and replace with 6000 series [$26.00] alloy tubes to make it 16 lbs with one set of the steel loops. 9 lbs lighter then the steel x3 tubes.

This type I have: not seeing 3place versions googling though...

Swagman XTC2 Hitch Mount Bike Rack is same design as what I've been using

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

5/29/21 2:10 PM

STROMBER Platform Style 4 Bike Carrier has same design loops. Saw amazon

dfcas

5/30/21 4:08 PM

I use a steel hanging type Thule. Kinda wish I had sprung for the aluminum for the lighter weight since I remove it often. If you decide on a tray type I've always heard the the 1upusa rack is loved by the owners but its pretty pricey to get to 3 bikes.

dan emery

5/30/21 4:56 PM

Thanks

I got a Thule steel hanging rack that takes 4 bikes and swings so I can open the tailgate without taking the bike off. It says it’s OK for carbon bikes and mine are pretty beefy so I’m not concerned about that. I also liked that it was strictly for a 2” receiver as I read that some 1.25/2.0 models move around a bit in the 2.0.

A lot of racks, like bike parts generally, are unavailable so I figured when I found one I liked I should order it. All the 1ups say “sign up for the waitlist.” I didn’t see any Thule aluminum actually available. I’d probably rather steel for 3 bikes anyway though.

Haha it took me awhile to realize I actually had a receiver. I knew I paid for one, but it was behind a dust cover which was kind of non-obvious.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

5/30/21 7:12 PM

The 2 most recommended are 1UP USA and Kuat. I really like the 1UP design, not sure it'll handle 3 bikes.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/30/21 9:05 PM

quote:
Haha it took me awhile to realize I actually had a receiver. I knew I paid for one, but it was behind a dust cover which was kind of non-obvious.

Tesla Y? Howz that thing, not seen an update in a while.

The PHEV Van I really like. Get gas every 5-7 weeks, and not more than 10 gallons since Redding, CA trip.
I did not expect that, just was after the rebates.

Turns out we would have had to pay $9.00 federal, but got $7491.00 back instead. First full year SocSec for me without taking any taxes out...

Back to racks: I found the 16lb my wheel loop rack with the 6000 alloy tube in place was easier to toss in any out and on/off. And with the steel it was like 27 lb with one set loops. some of these steel 3-4x racks are pretty bulky and heavy. Good alloy plenty strong!. If I put 4 of my bikes on a rack it would be like 72 lbs most. Less if Elaine's 52CM was one. ;)

dan emery

5/31/21 7:44 AM

Model Y

I love the Y, does everything well, no problems, no maintenance. First road trip with recharging coming up, plenty of chargers even if rural Maine.

Getting solar install at the house in August, including Tesla battery.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/31/21 8:11 AM

My friend has an S and the Powerwall, it is cool tech.

Side note on the S, he is constantly scraping up rims with such low profile tires. What are they, 45 series or something. What is on the Y?

dan emery

5/31/21 1:34 PM

Tires

My Y has 255/45 R19. No problem with rims. Some S’s have 21 rims with 35s.

Reply to topic    

PLee

6/3/21 4:42 PM

Just saw this thread. I actually have a hitch rack that I haven't used in 12 years . . .

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/3/21 8:59 PM

I also have one I almost never use. 2" receiver 2x bike top tube hanger. Only use for tandem with both wheels off. Used that wheel loop one a lot. And have a Saris Bones that is well made used for the Fit occasionally and gets lent out more than I use it.

But, Fit got a hitch when I lost the CRV hitch on trade in. The PHEV Pacifica would get the warranty effected/voided if one goes on apparently...

dan emery

6/5/21 2:37 PM

Geez!

Got the rack last night (UPS delivered at 10 pm) and put it on the car today.

What a PITA! Three times I thought I was done and would have to return it, but somehow I managed to get through those crises. This rack has some complexities like a swing arm and tightening wedges for the hitch connection which complicate the install. The wedges were improperly adjusted so I couldn’t insert the arm into the receiver until I figured out how to change the adjustment (not addressed in the manual) which fortunately I could do with a trusty Park offset wrench.

And then there were some long bolts to be threaded, and would only go if everything was lined up correctly, but it was blind so you couldn’t see if everything was lined up correctly. Twice I thought threads must be stripped but it turned out the alignment was just a bit off and eventually they threaded.

It didn’t help that I was doing this at 90 F.

So now I think the rack will work fine but assembly and installation is not user friendly for a mechanical dweeb like me!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/5/21 4:51 PM

I am a never need/read instuctions guy. My mechanical apptitude has always worked in my favor.

But the garmin varia proved more challanging recently. Not really mechanical as much as guessing (googling) what color and blink/pattern showing BT mating etc. as what came in the package was useless.

dan emery

6/6/21 11:06 AM

Carries bikes nicely

Did a test ride with 3 drop bar bikes, no problem. Skipped one space as there was a conflict between a rack on one bike and handlebar on another. But that could be easily solved by twisting the bars sideways (decrease the lever arm I will say, so as to pretend I know what I’m talking about). The strapping system for securing the bikes to the rack is very simple and effective, and there is a nice cable lock going over the bikes (it would be easy enough to cut, but still nice to have).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/6/21 11:14 AM

When we traveled, the rack and the bike got cable locked to the hitch frame. But if a thief with the right bolt cutter did a hit and run in in the time you are looking at the menu...

dan emery

6/6/21 4:52 PM

Locks

This rack locks to the hitch receiver, so I’m not worried about anyone taking that. You have to loosen the wedges to remove it, and the lock disables the loosening mechanism. Someone could cut the cable and undo all the many straps and take the bikes, but I’m not worried about that anywhere I’d leave it unattended. The only place I might leave it on our upcoming trip is a Tesla charging center, and I’d probably chance that.....

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -