HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Allyson Felix is getting even faster?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/9/19 10:05 AM

Allyson Felix is getting even faster?

https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/allyson-felix-wins-her-12th-world-championship-title-46695279

And 10 months after giving birth too!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

10/9/19 2:56 PM

Huh?

Allyson Felix is one of my favorite athletes, and while she's made a great comeback after becoming a mother, she's hardly faster than in her prime.

I always felt she was a gorgeous runner, with a long, fluid stride. She was so smooth she looked slow until you noticed she was pulling away from everybody else.

When she was in about 8th grade she was hanging out on the high school playground and the track coach was timing kids on a 60 meter course. Allyson walked over, ran, and the coach looked at the time and went back and remeasured the course.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

10/10/19 9:49 PM

quote:
Allyson walked over, ran, and the coach looked at the time and went back and remeasured the course.

Reminds me of a story my father told me. He grew up in Africa, and when WWII started he joined the King's African Rifles. He turned out to be the fastest runner in his brigade, and when an athletic carnival was held during their training, he appeared to break what was then the 440 yards world record. However, the track was re-measured and found to be several yards short.

He was still running well into his 80s.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

10/12/19 5:02 AM

How about this: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/12/eliud-kipchoge-makes-history-sub-two-hour-marathon

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/12/19 6:30 AM

It's an interesting human milestone, but it was the running equivalent of motor-pacing. There are probably several elite runners who could do this under the same circumstances. I'll be truly impressed when someone does it in an actual race.

What's next, treadmill marathons? Do runners have Zwift equivalent?

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/12/19 11:19 AM

Silly

Means nothing to me under those conditions.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/12/19 7:59 PM

I did not think it even possible:

"Eliud Kipchoge Makes History by Running First-Ever Marathon in Under Two Hours"

Nick Payne

10/13/19 3:09 AM

quote:
It's an interesting human milestone, but it was the running equivalent of motor-pacing

It's quite common to have pacing in athletics. Most Diamond League meets have pacemakers in the middle distance events - and records set in those are recognized, such as Genzebe Dibaba's 1500m in Monaco a few years back.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/13/19 4:17 AM

Yes but

He had 41 pacemakers in a rotating group of 7 in a specific formation to keep him out of the wind, all running behind a car which put a laser beam on the ground for pace and the shortest line. A great run no doubt, but I don’t much care for the event. Each to their own.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/14/19 6:19 AM

Exactly. This was so artificial that he may as well have been running on a treadmill.

Reply to topic    

LeeW

10/14/19 7:46 AM

My thoughts exactly.

I watched about 30 min of the coverage and thought it was wayyy too contrived.

Venue and time chosen for flatness and optimal temperatures. Pacesetters rotating in and out and positioned in an arrow shape behind a vehicle.

Why not start at the top of Pikes Peak (or such) and see if someone can break 1:40:00?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/14/19 10:51 AM

Next record breaker may do it in a clean room with artificial tail wind? I have to agree with the sentiment of last few posts.

Nick Payne

10/15/19 12:12 AM

quote:
He had 41 pacemakers in a rotating group of 7 in a specific formation to keep him out of the wind, all running behind a car which put a laser beam on the ground for pace and the shortest line.

Sounds like a higher tech version of a professional cycling team:-) Froome (and other team leaders) are probably sitting on for more than 3400km of the 3500km of a full TdF route.

Reply to topic    

Marc N.

10/15/19 3:00 AM

Tough crowd

Come on guys, to run 42 kilometers @ 2:50 is mind boggling regardless of the circumstances. And no Brian, there aren`t several elite runners that could do this under the same conditions.

Brian Nystrom

10/15/19 6:34 AM

Perhaps we'll see about that. Either way, I'm just not buying it.

Would you think an hour record on the track would be some great feat if it was done behind a derney or using a series of other riders as pacers? I wouldn't. Heck, the land speed record on a bike is only interesting because of the sheer guts it takes to attempt it. I don't regard it as a major athletic accomplishment.

Reply to topic    

PLee

10/15/19 7:29 AM

The 4 minute mile was broken using pacers.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/15/19 11:25 AM

Yeah, a total of two. Here's an account of it for anyone who's interested.

Since then, how many have done it in races, without pacers? Hundreds? Thousands perhaps?

Like I said, when someone runs a sub-2-hour marathon in an actual race, I'll be impressed.

Reply to topic    

LeeW

10/16/19 6:02 AM

One significant difference is that fresh pacers are not allowed to rotate in for actual track races. The pacer must start the race with the rest of the field and goes until he is exhausted.

I'm with Brian on this one. The Ineos event was a bore for me to watch, the main reason being that there was no race unfolding. Watching a 'thon on tv is not for everyone, but any drama comes from watching the large pack slowly get whittled down to a few by the time they hit 20 miles and the wonder of who is going to emerge and remain strong toward the end. Not too different from watching an HC climb in a grand tour.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/16/19 3:32 PM

Pacers

I think the reason for the 41 “pacers” was aerodynamic. They had a car with a laser beam to set pace. It is what it is, you may like it or not. I don’t think it’s comparable to a track race with rabbits, where there is one or 2 and they peel off pretty early. There is also no strategic element, as there is in any race, rabbits or no. Nor is it like a bicycle road race or time trial. It’s kind of like a team time trial where one rider is credited with the time and fresh team members can rotate in.

I say let him run it by himself with the pace car far enough ahead not to provide an aerodynamic advantage.

But I suspect it’s really a commercial money thing for Ineos.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/16/19 6:45 PM

Your last line nailed it. Based on the description of the press conference afterward, it seems like a perfect example of a rich dickhead wanting to bask in the glow of an exceptional athlete by sponsoring a team or event. It's nothing new and it's incredibly lame.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -