HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Varia

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
greglepore

9/24/19 10:04 AM

Varia

Wasn't expecting to like this as much as I do...significantly earlier warning than when a vehicle is audible, and better yet, you always know exactly how many cars are back there and when the lane is clear again.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

9/24/19 10:11 AM

Which model/system are you using?

Wondering if the radar unit will ever talk to iPhones/Androids over Low Power BT or Ant etc. Or do you HAVE to use a Gamin head only and always, my guess..

greglepore

9/24/19 10:34 AM

The firmware is open source-wahoo now supports varia, which lead me to try it.
Using the 510

Sparky

9/24/19 1:00 PM

I really like the idea. I am not always looking in my little mirror and seems an alert to do so while among the blunt skulls driving is a very good idea.

I see the Bundle includes Radar display unit, does it make noise optionally?

I see iPbike supports it, I use that when using my PowerTap wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_PoXhgrj8

greglepore

9/24/19 5:01 PM

No idea...I don't know anyone actually running the standalone.

daddy-o

9/24/19 8:30 PM

Sounds cool

Brian Nystrom

9/25/19 6:32 AM

I think I'll just keep using my built-in "sonar", which has worked perfectly for decades and doesn't require batteries, just Q-Tips. ;-)

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

9/25/19 9:35 AM

Sonar

Amazing. That's the exact same technology I use. I ride with a guy who as some sort of radar rear warning (could be Varia?) and my system works about the same as his. Just call me a retro-grouch.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/25/19 10:01 AM

Well, I can't speak for youz guiz 'sonar', but unless I happen to be looking in my mirror when a 1-2 ton projectile is upon me... I question the effectiveness of my reaction time to go off piste if there is a route to do so in time.

greglepore

10/1/19 6:09 AM

I don't dispute the doubt-I was the same way.

I really like not having to glance back. I have somewhat unique issues from my neck injury but still...

Brian Nystrom

10/1/19 11:36 AM

What can I say, I refuse to use lights during the day, too, and frequently feel like smacking other riders who blind me unnecessarily with flashing headlights.

I'm not casting aspersions toward you (because I know you're a responsible person) and whatever works for you is what matters. However, I just see too many examples in modern society where people rely on technology to replace paying friggin' attention to what they're doing. There's no substitute for actually being involved in an activity, whether it's riding, driving or whatever. Not only is it safer, it's more enjoyable.

IMO, educating and when necessary - punishing - the irresponsible is a better use of resources that developing technologies to avoid them and allowing their behavior to go on unchecked.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/1/19 12:44 PM

No front for me days with other riders. Alone traversing city streets, yep!

Don't use my 60 lumen tail light either unless alone. And then only when not predominant use of the MUTTs on rides. Which is most of the time anymore...

Last edited by Sparky on 10/1/19 3:28 PM; edited 1 time in total

Brian Nystrom

10/1/19 3:14 PM

ignore

Last edited by Brian Nystrom on 10/2/19 5:47 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

10/1/19 3:17 PM

That's a pretty sensible approach. This past weekend, there was someone in our group with a flashing tail light mounted flush with his seatstay, which angled it up and directly into my eyes when I was behind him. Ugh! People really just don't think...

Reply to topic    

greglepore

10/2/19 6:49 AM

Agree on the overly bright lights. I don't use lights in a group, although I have them on the bike in case I get dropped (more common these days).

I hate having lights on the bike, extra grams and bad aesthetics, but its a modern reality I'm afraid. In Va they encourage tree canopy on the roads, and riding in the dappled light is like bike cammo, so I feel the need.

Responsible? Brian, you must have the wrong guy :)

Brian Nystrom

10/2/19 5:49 PM

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. Whether you choose to accept it or not is entirely up to you. ;-)

I have nothing against "flamethrower" lights and I own some for riding at night in the woods. In the winter, if I ride slow enough, they'll melt the snow! That said, there's no excuse for jerks riding on the roads and multi-use trails during the day with bike lights that make car headlights look like candles. Yet I see this all the time.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/2/19 6:33 PM

" they'll melt the snow! "

LOL

KerryIrons

10/3/19 9:00 AM

Daylights

I started using daytime strobes (white front/red rear) about 3 years ago when I got a set of SeeNSense lights randomly through RoadBikeRider newsletter. I would likely NOT have gone out and bought lights on my own.

I haven't received any complaints from fellow riders about brightness in the group but maye they are just being polite. My rear strobe is on my seat post so it is angled down slightly, which doesn't affect visibility to cars but maybe helps keep the light out of following riders' eyes.

What I have really noticed is that cars give me more clearance, are less likely to pull out in front of me, and less likely to turn in front of me. The difference is quite noticeable. I've been riding a long time and have a good sense of these things, and once I put the lights on the positive change was immediately apparent. When these lights fail, I definitely will replace them.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/3/19 9:05 AM

"likely to pull out in front of me, and less likely to turn in front of me"

Front strobe if good high quality and bright works well for this. I ride so seldom in this situation I don't bother much. Although yesterday I did ride a wide shoulder/bike lane for a few miles where I shoulda. Turns out it was on the bike I ride and not in my mind.

Last edited by Sparky on 10/3/19 5:29 PM; edited 1 time in total

dan emery

10/3/19 4:28 PM

Daytime lights

I don’t use them but I’ll acknowledge that many skilled and experienced riders do, and I wouldn’t second guess them. They only bother me on the rare (around here anyway) occasion where someone is running a cornea burner in front on a bright, sunny day. I remember saying to one guy “you’re blinding me.” But this is very rare and I think with inexperienced riders.

Generally I am commuting in a small town or riding rural roads, and I have very little problem with cars.

I have some pretty honking beams for commuting after dark.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -