HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: Ken Burns’ Country Music

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

9/19/19 3:49 PM

OT: Ken Burns’ Country Music

Anyone watching this on PBS? Maybe Sparky, the Nashville Axeman.

8 2 hour segments, I’ve watched the first 4. Fantastic (I love classic country).

One fascinating aspect it reveals is the important interactions of seminal country musicians (e.g., A.P. Carter, Jimmy Rodgers, Hank Williams, Bill Monroe) with black musicians. Plus Ray Charles recorded an album of country music, including the mega hit “I can’t Stop Loving You.” Willie Nelson said Charles did more for country than anyone else. Charles said “Country Music and Black Music are the same damn thing.”

IMHO the must see so far is episode 3, “The Hillbilly Shakespeare” about the incomparable Williams.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/19/19 4:30 PM

I made a Tivo 'one pass' for the series in the DVR, not watched any yet.

Fan of Ken Burns works myself.

BTW, series can be streamed as well: https://www.pbs.org/show/country-music/episodes/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

9/20/19 12:43 PM

We watched 1-4 thus far. Well Elaine fell asleep last nigh during #2. ;)

Elaine has today off so we coffee watched 4 hours of it before we shoot off to see Downton Abbey.

This Country series is VG to say the least.

Matthew Currie

9/21/19 10:48 AM

I've been watching it too. Although I have always liked some stuff, country is not my favorite genre, but Burns always makes things interesting.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/21/19 11:21 AM

I'd classify my interest in country music itself as minimal. Historically though, in music and artists etc OTOH.

We are talking about it on a Music forum I frequent as well.

One comment I made will sort my 'country' interest, that being:

"My Dad having come from Nashville played country every waking moment. I waned to shoot Liberty Valance myself."

My heavy rock music interest as a very young bass, then guitar player pushed it all out the back of the queue by 12 years old. @ 15 I was covering Zeppelin stuff on the 6 string reasonably.

When we moved to Nashville in 2002, it was more the Rock-a-billy and swing varieties that took a little. Straight country still curdles me mostly. But some of those players/pickers are unreal to say the least.

daddy-o

9/22/19 7:37 AM

When she was in high school (class of 2005) my daughter started to buy country CDs. I thought I'd raised her right, but figured rebellion is part of the age. These days her response is "I don't know what I was thinking."

Burn's Country Music episode 2 was good enough to set the hook, the only one I've seen. I own Hank's essential collection and some Willie from the Stardust era.

If I hear Eddie Rabbit's truck song I'll leave it on. Then again the other night in an otherwise quiet Target, the Muzak left me with a positive impression of the chord structure of a Bee Gee's hit that back in the day would've been left behind by the second measure.

So I'm not immune to good craftsmanship, whatever the hook.

Can time account for taste?

Sparky

9/22/19 9:47 AM

We got into the Shania and Leanne Rymes round that time.

"These days her response is "I don't know what I was thinking." "

I suspect your daughter got caught up in what Elaine calls the Pretty Boy effect.
Younger Garth Brooks, Blake Shelton, Dierks Bentley, Tim McGraw Keith Urban, Toby Keith etc. ;)

KerryIrons

9/22/19 10:13 AM

Paul is dead?

And if you play a country song backwards you get your truck back, you get your dog back, you get your girl back, and you get back up on your bar stool.

Ba dum, ching!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/22/19 10:19 AM

You forgot 'your Mule' back.

dan emery

9/22/19 10:37 AM

Thought he raised her right

Daddy tried to raise her better, but his pleading she denied
That leaves only her to blame ‘cause Daddy tried

Speaking of Merle Haggard, I loved his relating how at age 10 he snuck out of his bedroom and rode his bike 5 miles to watch Bob Wills.

Last edited by dan emery on 9/22/19 12:03 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/22/19 11:29 AM

Dan, so you are a Merle fan. So do the names Roy Nichols and Redd Volkaert ring any bells? Me being a git player, easy to extrapolate who these 'players' might be in Merle's world. ;)

I image by E7-8 these names will be mentioned. Probably a Redd cameo with commentary of some sort regarding the Merle years.

dan emery

9/22/19 2:14 PM

Well

I’m guessing they were Strangers.

I consider Haggard a great songwriter.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

9/22/19 7:44 PM

Finally, the root of Dan's obsession...

The first thing I remember knowing
Was a lonesome whistle blowing
And a young'un's dream of growing up to ride

(well played ;-)

Sparky

9/25/19 11:21 AM

"I consider Haggard a great songwriter."

As well as a VG vocal tone/voice. Not something a lot [most?] of the historical mentions possessed IME.

I did not know KK wrote Bobby McGee. Nor that he is/was an Oxford Rhodes recipient, English Lit.

dan emery

9/25/19 12:44 PM

Kristofferson

Plus a Ranger helicopter pilot and instructor at West Point.

Amazing story how when Kris was working as a janitor in Nashville he got a letter from his mother disowning him for wasting time in Nashville. Distraught, he showed it to the studio head who showed it to Johnny Cash, who walked in and said "Always great to get a letter from home, eh Kris?"

IMHO Cash comes across as a real hero, flawed, but a hero. Nixon invited him the the White House and asked him to play "Okey from Muskogee" and "Welfare Cadilac" (not Cash songs, obviously). Cash refused and instead played "What is Truth" "The Man in Black" and "The Ballad of Ira Hayes." Yow! And that's just one example of much progressive activity.

As to voices and all around vocal mastery: George Jones.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/25/19 5:59 PM

George Jones sure had that kind of voice, yeah.

I read KK while doing Army Air Core reserve duty landed a Helo on Cash's Percy Priest Lake Lawn to give him a Demo tape. ;)

Fun fact: Barry Gibbs bought said house, and it burned to the ground during the massive renovation and they had to start over...

I though KK turned down the West Point gig, and it caused him Mom/Dad to disown him. Following his music path instead of following in his Dad's Military Path/plans for him. I guess him being worth 160 million space bucks they could not abide.

EDIT: Old Hickory Lake, Not Percy Priest Lake. I always mixed the two up. ;)

Helo story:

For all Kristofferson knew, Cash was never going to listen to it, so he resorted to a more drastic delivery method.

At the time, Kristofferson was also working part-time as a helicopter pilot for the Army Reserve. On a routine flight training mission, Kristofferson veered off his course and headed for Cash's home on Old Hickory Lake. After landing the chopper on Cash's lawn, he walked up to the home with the demo of "Sunday Morning Coming Down" in hand.

What happened next varies, depending on who you ask.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -