HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cool tandem sighting

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

8/3/19 8:18 AM

Cool tandem sighting

On the ferry over to Peaks Island yesterday, there was a couple with their Santana tandem with couplers. Nice bike, titanium I believe. He said he bought it used and it was actually a triple, but you can just leave out the middle and it’s a tandem. Kind of like a table with leaves. Had the biggest honkin’ disc brake in the back I’ve ever seen. It had Ultegra, but he said they were considering SRAM wireless as they had some shifting issues plus it could be easier assembling/ disassembling minus a few cables. Sounded like they’d traveled with it a lot.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/3/19 8:44 AM

"it was actually a triple, but you can just leave out the middle and it’s a tandem. Kind of like a table with leaves"

I'd have appreciated that, seeing it in person. When we were in Tacoma, another couple staying had their one off custom gravel bikes by the door in the foyer. They had been on Mt Rainier 150 mile 'hilly' ride. ;)

I asked in front of all the folks eating breakfast what kind of investment the two bikes represented. You should have seen everyone at the table [except me] almost choke when he said a little over $32k.

I bet that tandem originally was huge expense...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

8/3/19 9:06 AM

I've only tried a tandem a handful of times and it's definitely not for me. I can't even imagine what it must be like with a third person in the equation!

It's interesting that the put a huge brake on the rear, but I guess with a triple, you'd have enough weight on the rear axle that you wouldn't have issues with locking up the rear wheel. It must take a LOT of stopping power! I have some friends with a tandem and IIRC. their front brake is larger, as one would expect.

Reply to topic    

Smunderdog

8/7/19 12:44 PM

I'm getting ready to adjust the stoker spot on our Santana so my 7 1/2 year old can ride to see if she will enjoy it - she digs the tag a long so I'm hopeful! Purchased a set of crank shorteners from TandemsEast and now just need to sort out handlebar options + getting a seat/post her size fit to the seattube. Will post pics once I have all the parts pulled together...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/7/19 3:52 PM

"need to sort out handlebar options"

A pair of TT bar bars upside down and facing backwards could be an option. Done that on a few for short stokers. And best part is the Captains butt is not between the stoker bar drops, nor is there the need for wide rear drop bars for the stoker to clear the capt butt.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -