Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Anti-motion sickness meds?
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

1/9/19 11:31 AM

Anti-motion sickness meds?

Heading to Antarctica, I am advised to take anti-motion sickness meds along. I decided to take this seriously when Don Ferris, who has spent quite a bit of time down there, advised that he had seen 30-40’ waves washing over the decks in the Drake Passage (which my boat will cross). So the doc prescribed scopolamine patches, and advised also taking along OTC Dramamine. I don’t have a great stomach for motion, but have never taken any of this stuff. Any experience?

Also advised not to take the polar plunge with my aneurysm and episode of A-Fib. Can’t argue with that.

Don also advised he was once on a research boat that got bound up in pack ice and drifted for 2 weeks. Hope I can avoid that....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/9/19 11:57 AM

Bring some nuun electrolyte tabs or similar for after just in case I guess.

I never had any issue like this, small planes, worked up high for years in construction etc. Rickety scaffolding yada...

But and until.... When I pinched my femoral Nerve I was prescribed Gabapentin. I had stopped taking it a few days before we went on a whale watching boat ride.

I learned when you stop taking Gabapentin motion sickness and dizziness is common. Wish I had googled that prior to getting on the boat. And previously plane, boat, WTT observation deck on a really windy day, nada!

That day.... I had to lay back and keep my eyes closed. Needless to say I paid for the boat ride to watch the insides of my eyelids... But managed not to... not too... you know. But by oh boy it was soooooo close.

I quit drinking totally in 2008, yet I had to do the one foot on the deck while laying back with eyes closed. Not a fond memory. But at least I was spared the porcelain God ritual/memory, just...

Pray for you not having any kind of similar experience.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

1/9/19 1:10 PM

Back when I was into scuba, we used to use Bonine, primarily for the boat rides, as Dramamine can cause drowsiness. Although I have gotten seasick in small-ish boats, I've never needed anything in a kayak. It's just a different experience when you're down at the water level. As long as you can see a horizon or fixed point of land, you should be fine. It can get a bit funky in fog, but when that's happened I've been so concerned about nearby boats that sea-sickness was the last thing I worried about.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/9/19 1:25 PM

kayaking

I'm not concerned about the kayak, but the ship itself may get tossed around. I don't think they'll let us out in the kayaks in bad weather :)

FWIW, I've also been comfortable when I've been in a kayak, including in some decent chop.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/9/19 2:55 PM

"I've also been comfortable when I've been in a kayak, including in some decent chop."

You are a lot closer to the CG, a lot.

Top side in a ship I am guessing you are personally moving/swaying 10' or more in rough water??

PLee

1/9/19 3:26 PM

Our ship had straps on the beds so you could strap yourself in. The dining room chairs were strapped down.

A couple of days, they ran ropes down the middle of the wider passageways so passengers could hang on.

And our passages across the Drake were relatively mild.

Scopolomine patch an hour or so before you get on the boat. My daughter-in-law took hers off when she developed double vision, but she was the only one I know who came down with that.

Dramamine on top of the scopolomine only if necessary - it can knock you out.

It's going to be an amazing trip. My screensaver at work is a closeup of a penguin from our trip.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

1/9/19 3:39 PM

Having taken it for my one and only off-shore, 8 days, 12 hrs. and some painful last minutes on a (small) sailboat trip to Bermuda I knew it (behind the ear patch) could induce anxiety, which it seemed to do as I spent the first 3 days thinking the keel was going to fall off.

When I went to confirm what I thought I knew I also found this - nausea, confusion, agitation, rambling speech, hallucinations, and paranoia.

Some of that can be confused with old age and I believe you qualify, so lets cross off confusion, agitation, rambling speech, hallucinations and paranoia as that might occur anyway.

I'll think you'll be fine with the patch. Bring the pills as a just in case. And try not to be paranoid.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/9/19 3:46 PM

Just because I'm paranoid

doesn't mean people aren't out to get me.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/9/19 4:07 PM

"I also found this - nausea, confusion, agitation, rambling speech, hallucinations, and paranoia. "

Sounds like how I remember living on the east coast was? :)

Last edited by Sparky on 1/9/19 9:46 PM; edited 1 time in total

Steve B.

1/9/19 4:47 PM

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me."

Well you ARE a lawyer.

Reply to topic    

April

1/9/19 9:45 PM

Active ingredients

I get seasick easily. So I looked into the subject not too long ago.

There are basically 2 type of OTC sea sick pills, based on their active ingredients: meclizine hydrochloride ( Bonine) vs dimenhydrinate (Dramamine). The latter is well known to cause drowsiness. So why one would use Dramamine is beyond me!

(ok, I used it once before realizing what it was doing. I was just miserable, unable to stay awake to appreciate whatever we paid money to enjoy)

As for the patch, I have not used it. But for those Bonine works, that’s the easiest solution. No need to look elsewhere.

Nick Payne

1/9/19 10:12 PM

My wife suffers quite badly from this - boats, planes, etc, and has found that acupressure wrist bands work for her:

https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Wristbands-Motion-Sickness-Natural/dp/B076MSCX16/

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/10/19 9:04 AM

I've heard the same thing and I think Linda may have used them. I'll check with her.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/10/19 5:26 PM

Well OK

I ordered the wrist band so I will have 3 lines of defense.

Amazing how you can get almost anything on Amazon more convenient than anywhere else. Glad I bought the stock around 2000. :)

Reply to topic    

April

1/12/19 9:39 PM

My Mom tried the wristband thingy, but it didn’t work for her.

Fortunately, a fellow traveler who’s a retired pharmacist gave her some Bonine equivalent (they’re from Europe), which worked much better.

dan emery

1/13/19 5:45 PM

Got my bands

April, I learn that the bands are based on the Nei Kuan acupressure point, so I would think your mom would be a good candidate. :)

Anyway that is one I can try with no downside. So I’ve got the scop patches, with Bonine and the bands for backup.

I’ve paid more attention to this since learning that the Drake Passage can be one of the roughest bodies of water in the world (and can also be the “Drake Lake”).

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

1/13/19 6:36 PM

It sounds like your are shipping out of a port in Argentina ?, Chile ?, can’t recall where my buddy left out of last year.

If you need a book and want something that’s pertinent to the region, I recommend this.

“Rounding the Horn: Being the Story of Williwaws and Windjammers, Drake, Darwin, Murdered Missionaries and Naked Natives--a Deck's-eye View of Cape Horn”

Dallas Murphy the author. He well describes the concept of the “Roaring 40’s” and “Furious 50’s”, that section of the southern ocean where there are no land masses to the west and east and which allows the winds and waves to develop to significant intensities.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/13/19 7:13 PM

Departure

Leaving from Ushuaia, Argentina. Through the Beagle Channel and then across the Drake to the South Shetland Islands. Thanks for the reading suggestion. I’ve read quite a bit already and it’s fascinating. The tour company sent 4 books to read, the best being “South!” By Sir Ernest Shackleton, chronicling his Endurance expedition of 1914-17. Unbelievable.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/13/19 7:30 PM

What/when is your actual departure? Unless publishing that on the private net is a no no. ;)

dan emery

1/14/19 10:19 AM

Departure

Leaving Friday.

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/14/19 2:29 PM

Ushuaia itself is a sleepy little town with some nice shops, bars and cafes. On our return, we had time to get off the boat and spend an evening in town. Solid ground was a relief after the passage back. You might find some Shackleton Whisky on the boat - a meticulous recreation of the whisky Shackleton brought on the Endurance - based on an analysis of bottles recently recovered from the wreck.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/14/19 3:17 PM

Ushuaia

I get to spend a night in Ushuaia, at the Albatros Hotel:

http://www.albatroshotel.com.ar/

My sister, much more erudite than I, cautioned me not to shoot an Albatross:

"'Water, water everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink
Water, water everywhere
Nor any drop to drink"

Any whisky good enough for Shackleton is sure as hell good enough for me...

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/14/19 4:16 PM

We stayed at the same hotel for one night. The next morning, we caught a flight to Buenos Aires and caught a connecting flight back to the States. Kate Upton was on our flight - she was returning from her Sports Illustrated swimsuit shoot in Antarctica.

I hope your boat sails by the Albatross Memorial at the southern tip of Cape Horn. You can read about it here: http://www.annikahipple.com/at-the-edge-of-the-earth-at-cape-horn/

It's engraved with a poem at its base -

"I am the albatross that awaits you
at the end of the world.
I am the forgotten soul of the dead mariners
who passed Cape Horn
from all the seas of the world.
But they did not die
in the furious waves.
Today they soar on my wings
towards eternity
in the last crack
of the Antarctic winds."

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/14/19 5:05 PM

"Leaving Friday."

What was your address again, lost it after I sent you the hat.... ;)

PLee

1/28/19 10:47 AM

Waiting for the post trip update. With pictures of course!

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -