HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Dropout too small

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

10/10/18 9:20 AM

Dropout too small

Have a power tap branded wheel for my Strong and the...I'm not sure what you call the part of the axle that the drop outs rest on, but that bit is weirdly too big for the drop outs. Never had this issue before.

Is it possible to replace that bit on the hub or will the drop outs need to be filed out?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/10/18 9:46 AM

Did the bike get dropped on the dropout while a wheel was not in the bike?

If it use to fit and does not now, that is what I'd suspect possible/probable...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

RCoapman

10/10/18 9:52 AM

No, this was a new wheel. Other wheels fit as expected. No damage, just an unexpected sizing.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/10/18 10:04 AM

Is it ALuminum or threaded steel axle that sits in the dropout?

Rear wheel?

RCoapman

10/10/18 11:07 AM

I would assume Al. Campy 10

Rear. Front fits fine

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/10/18 12:52 PM

Should be 9mm front, 10mm rear, Did you measure the back. Sounds like you gotta decide if you wanna file Aluminum or forged steel, unless going on the Conquest.

Rob. eMail me via TTF envelope link...

dddd

10/11/18 12:47 PM

Don't file the axle unless it's spinning in a lathe or similarly fixtured.

A caliper measurement of all parts is in order!

Harbor Freight has cheap little digital calipers, now in the tidy 4" size.

Hopefully it's just paint layer interference!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/11/18 1:06 PM

Rob, go to Home Depot or Harbor Freight and get thee some 20.00 at most calipers. Seen 7.00 ones that get the job done. I have a nylon analog dial one going on 20 years of use. And a digital pair, battery lasts a long time too, years.

RCoapman

10/11/18 1:32 PM

Eyeballing it (IIRC, it's been over a year since I looked at it) seems to indicate perhaps as much as 1-2 mm diff between axle diameter and drop out spacing.

The window in front of my desk literally looks out on Home Depot.

Question I just thought of....do Campy hubs have a different axle size usually? I did order the wheel with Campy splines on the freehub....

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

10/11/18 1:51 PM

quote:
Question I just thought of....do Campy hubs have a different axle size usually?
None of the ones I've ever owned. Rear QR axle ends are a standard size across all manufacturers.

Reply to topic    

Craig

10/11/18 1:53 PM

Rear axles, until the recent through axle stuff, have been 10mm OD for ever and ever, nearly anyway. And regardless of hub brand, you don't buy frames that are Campagnolo compatible or Shimano compatible, because of the standard. My guess is that the Powertap has alloy end caps on a hollow axle to make it lighter, and that the endcap is ever so slightly oversized for added strength on a lightweight piece. Or the paint on your Strong is extra thick at the dropouts and the tolerances of a slightly heavy paint and an "as big as it can be for strength" end cap on your axle is clashing. I'd find it hard to believe that there's a 1-2mm difference, I'd bet it's more like 0.5mm, which is a lot. Because every hub you will likely, normally encounter will fit in your dropouts without issue, if a file were to be called into action I'd remove material from the hub, not the frame, an axle being cheaper to replace, even on a Powertap, than a dropout. I'd also just file the front and back facing sides of the axle so they become flat faced ovals, only removing the material you need to for it to fit. The result is your BB will be 0.25mm higher, the Princess and the pea analogy comes to mind. You won't notice it.

Measure the OD of the axle with calipers. It shouldn't be more than 10mm. The measure your dropouts, should be 10mm as well. Let us know what you find.

Reply to topic    

April

10/12/18 8:44 AM

You can go get a caliper, or you can do a "swap test":

As they're supposed to be standardized, I'd try that new wheel on another frame just to see if it's the axle being "out of standard".

Your current wheel obviously fit into your current dropout. Another test is to grab another random wheel to see how it fits into your current dropout. My money is the dropout being the right size.

If it's just "paint layer interference", sand the axil and/or dropout. If it's more than that, one or the other is the wrong size. I suspect the axle is a tad too big than it should be.

dfcas

10/12/18 9:25 AM

This is probably a dumb question, but just to make sure your Powertap wheel is for quick release and not a thru axle?

I once had a frame with a bent dropout in shipping that the wheel would not go in, I used an end wrench to bend it a little more open.

RCoapman

10/21/18 9:58 AM

Even when I was doing a tiny bit of wrenching on bikes this is above my skill level. Going to drop off at LBS today and hope they have a clue.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/21/18 10:47 AM

A quick browse to the all knowing Googal make me think you have a 15mm PT Hub/Axle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECVFaHPeWpY

Saris Phone

Give us a call at 1.800.783.7257.

The PowerTap is available only in a 130 & 135mm range of axle lengths to accommodate different
frames and uses. Only use similarly sized frames and hubs.

dfcas

10/21/18 12:16 PM

That would be a through axle diameter which would explain all.

Sparky

10/21/18 12:25 PM

I'd think a through axle hub would be disc only. Not enough data.

Rob, feel free to post some pics unless you already are going/have gone the LBS route.

Ciao

RCoapman

10/22/18 3:50 PM

Dropped her off yesterday. No mechs on site but they agreed that was likely the case.

IIRC I bought this wheel 4 or 5 years ago (and have yet to ride it!!) from a closeout on the power tap site. I can't recall there being any special note about axle or anything...it was just a campy compatible wheel. But it's so long ago I can't recall.

Major concern this weeks is that the firewood supplier who was supposed to drop off a cord of wood didn't make it so there will be some cold nights before the weekend.

Reply to topic    

RCoapman

10/29/18 2:46 PM

Well, this is what happens when I assume...

Turns out the dropout got bent in somehow...probably from some fat guy riding the bike. (looks around sheepishly)

So LBS aligned the derailleur, tweaked the dropout back into position, and it was all of $30.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/29/18 3:46 PM

Preventive

Cool it on those 1800 watt sprints, Rob.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/29/18 6:40 PM

Yeah, that was what I said first.

Maybe keep those efforts to a max of 1200 watts Rob. ;)

RCoapman

10/30/18 7:08 AM

Yup, you called it. No idea how/when it happened. Interesting from a psychological perspective that I never considered the bike could be the culprit. Lesson learned.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -