CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

I gotta stop reading Walter's eMails to me...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

10/10/18 1:48 PM

I gotta stop reading Walter's eMails to me...

They usually end like this.

I dedicate this baby to the 'Dans' here, as I think this should juice then as much as it juices MOI.

20.5 lbs as picture with SR / Chorus mix & KEO clone pedals. Using a Quill Adapter as I just popped the cockpit off the Tomasso and built as pictured to ride and see if luv replaces Molteni Lust!! Then source some nice Cinelli quill/bars etc.. Although I do love the drop shape and amount on these 3T Ergonova bars

Anyone wanna buy a hand made Reynolds 753 61 CM frame with silver soldered Investment cast Henry James fittings? ;) Copper steel steed probably has to go...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

10/11/18 5:55 AM

Nice

Molteni orange is always good. Is that an old Merckx (as opposed to a paint job)? Definitely want the quill.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/11/18 10:16 AM

Walter took a blue 90s Corsa, and did the inspired restore. It was a blue Merckx Corsa when new. The chrome is mint too. Must have been an inside frame. ;)

True Molteni frames had a chrome drive chain stay only. Painted fork too. This inspired re-dux is more sexy I guess. ;)

The Stem is a carbon stem, so it is bulky. I intend to shop for just the right stem bar combo. Non ergo long deep drops, double groove for the Ergo cable runs etc.
Stem either matching bars, or maybe a ti quill. I have the one on the Copper 753 bike, may wind up on this beast.

Not positive it will be staying yet. It has a real short front center and I got big feet.

I found some B-Groove bars locally, but 26mm stem only, so that limits things a little. Yada

It has some beasty Columbus Max sized TT/DT and stays. My 10 mile shake out ride yesterday showed a stout frame with a pretty stiff BB. Walter had a chain stay brace added and a few other things prior to sending it out for the re-fin.

Walter doesn't screw around with his projects. I am sure there is a 2013 thread here Walter posted re:Molteni.

Orig:

RCoapman

10/11/18 12:36 PM

Also...

"I gotta stop reading Walter's eMails to me..."

This implies you will continue to read Walter's emails to other people?

Reply to topic    

dddd

10/11/18 12:37 PM

You can't go wrong with a Merckx!

And what a coincidence I have to say.
Just this weekend, a fellow delivered me his old bike he hasn't ridden in 25 years, you guessed it!
I may sell it back to him, he indicated that he wanted to try it after I get done rebuilding it. It needs some frame straightening, so will take a little longer than usual.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/11/18 2:12 PM

Get that quill in there

Like the fluted stem too.

https://qq0u.app.link/e/kJUM10v6VQ

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/11/18 3:43 PM

Dan's quill sphincter is in crisis... ;)

Although the engraved Panto stem and Fluted Record post I let go with the Nago when I sold it in 2015 are some nice pieces. At least I got the Frame back. ;)

dddd

10/11/18 10:44 PM

Dan, nice Molteni, er, Colnago!

Reply to topic    

dan emery

10/12/18 7:33 AM

Thanks

It's the Eddy Merckx Special, similar to a 'Nago Eddy rode in the TdF.

https://www.allposters.com/-sp/The-Incomparable-Eddy-Merckx-Posters_i14368484_.htm?AID=96280778&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg8zR4IKB3gIVzksNCh0pHwBKEAQYAyABEgLkYfD_BwE

Reply to topic    

dfcas

10/12/18 9:34 AM

I had a Molteni orange Merckx MX Leader with Max tubing for a while. Great bike.

Sparky

10/12/18 10:26 AM

"had a Molteni orange Merckx MX Leader with Max tubing"

I rode a Max bike once, that thing was a truss. The only other bikes I recall being that stiff were the C-35 Nago and a Litespeed Ultimate.

This Corsa is Thron, but has a replaced DT of Deda01.

TT 28.6, DT 31.7, actually nice fat-ish tube for this fat-ish clyde. So I think beside being so damn pretty, it is sensible stiffness for the size and my girth.

I was mashing it into a stiff headwind yesterday, and the frame stiffness performance was there. I faded after a few miles of 20ish MPH head wind though, and dropped to the little ring. ;)

Same spot on the Scott a few years back a gust caused me to stop and balance for a second or two with a 30+ gust. Stretch is lined up with the turn in the river and the wind from the gorge shoot strait thu there.

Sparky

10/12/18 10:41 AM

FWIW, I think ultimately I'd prefer the Colnago. If the Saroni Red was not higher on my list than Molteni orange I might have Molteni painted my 85 orange.

I thought about painting the Reynolds 753 some version of orange or Moteni scheme. But I don't repaint things that have good condition paint, especially if I don't hate the existing color.

I am not any kind of fanboy that I appreciate Eddy's facha in the decals twice and his name Splashed on the DT.

But it was a matter of time before the Orange was in my stable.

Last edited by Sparky on 10/12/18 11:00 AM; edited 1 time in total

greglepore

10/12/18 10:55 AM

You think max is stiff in your size, try it in a 51. Had a Motorola MX that had to go - it was like riding gas pipe in a 51.

Sparky

10/12/18 11:04 AM

GP, can't even imagine that.

Even my old Litespeed blade with the tall wing shaped seatpost tower and the 6/4 tube has some compliance. I suspect a lot of that is due to the huge Front Center and WB.

But these 99CM WB period race bike are stout, even in the 60-61 range of the ones I have.

I wonder if the Max tubeset for the smaller frames had thinner tube at least. I will consult the great seer googaal.

EDIT: MAX, thinner mid butting than I expected.

TT 37.3-26.1 0.7-0.4-0.7

DT 40.3-30 0.8-0.5-0.8

Foco/Life DT/TT are .035 mid tube thiness. Carl used MTB True-T Platinum DT/TT tubes on my frames with balance being Foco/Life. I think he is calling me fat...

Actually, the 2000 road has a Teardrop Columbus DT.

dddd

10/12/18 7:36 PM

One version of Max that was oddly used in certain Merckx bicycles was MiniMax, which employed more-standard diameters with the thin Max walls!

And even this large, fillet-brazed Ciocc uses bi-ovalized MiniMax, so well suits my spidery physique:

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/13/18 9:04 PM

CIOC filet brazed headtube and unicrown fork?

Did 40 miles on the Corsa today. I think me and the geometry are going to get along better than it did for Walter.

dddd

10/14/18 8:13 AM

That's correct, the Columbus "Foderi Laminati" fork blades are welded to the steerer, and the headtube joints are fillet.
The toptube and stays are fillet-brazed to the seat-clamping lug as well, but the bb shell is spigoted.

I'm not surprised that the Corsa handles well with such a long stem, which is often the case on bikes with such steep HT angles, short front-center and overall tight geometry.
My TSX Century has the same HT angle, and I like the bike much better with a 110mm neck than with the former 100mm. Even with it's old 74xx 8s gruppo, It's possibly my favorite rider.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/14/18 10:29 AM

>Corsa handles well with such a long stem.

Maybe the opposite actually.

That carbon stem on there is supposed to be a 11CM, It measures out to 112.3 reach with my caliper.

The bars are Ergonova LTD. I find these crazy comfortable, the oval top with my huge hands are a match.

Advertised reach c/c @ 77mm. I measure an effective reach of 97mm. So not sure what effect the long foil tops have actually to effect reach, other than it is longer. With 8CM setback I can see the front axle behind the bars, just. But I don't use the drop I once did either.

Ramble on:
My take: Walter had a 135 Stem, I do not recall what bars, but his reach on a road bike is 1" longer than mine. He employs 1CM more setback than I have the Corsa setup for, and I went 1CM more than usual for me to find the fore/aft CG on this short speed machine.

Walter thought it steered slow, with 135 stem and who knows what reach on what 1" bars, that is a long lever. My Cinelli bars on one bike are 118mm reach for example. I remember having bars in the day on quill stems with as much as 128mm reach FWIW.

He told me never liked the front end on the bike. And he had a tight headset for a while initially that made matters worse.

I told Walter after 1st ride I though it steered fast. He said "really??" But I had been riding the Redline and Strong disc bike with gobs of trail for the last 10 rides.

It felt perfect, the Corsa as I passed the 100 mile mark in a few days of riding.

walter

10/18/18 7:53 AM

for me, i think it was simply the tight HS

the merckx cornered great, but getting into corners was where i had an issue.

initial turn-in was met with resistance, it took a deliberate move of the bars to initiate. once on your intended trajectory it was all-good.

i also found it hard to ride no-handed, any subtle balance adjustments required big hip movements to correct.

all speaks to directional "stiction" courtesy of an over-tightened headset.

Sparky

10/18/18 8:35 AM

"i also found it hard to ride no-handed"

I find it the most co-operative bike to ride no hands I have ever ridden. So stiction in the headset sounds exactly like what was going on.

Sparky

10/26/18 10:32 AM

Last cfg and how I am riding the Corsa currently. Was really, rainy season is upon us. I got 7 rides in on the Corsa before wet hit. ;)

I grabbed a 3T Stem to go along with the 3T Ergonova LTD bars, it looks a lot less bulky that the Carbon stem I started out with. I am going to leave it like this for now. I was quill shopping, and looking for some 2 groove bars. But abandoned that effort.

I like these bars too much to remove them. Deeper round drops, aero flat tops, and little to no hand fatigue in use.

The seat angle may look odd/askew, but this old T-Gear Pinnacle saddle actually works best like this. This my original late 90s double century saddle, for good reason.

I know the quill police among us want to see a nice period quill on it. But Neo/Modern Retro with 11s Campy is more to my liking in function than older tech gear and non modern cockpit appointment.

walter

10/30/18 1:12 PM

#realnice

walter approves!

ps. make sure you're on the big/small combo for glamour shots! ;-)

Sparky

10/30/18 1:49 PM

Not sure it will even go up to the big ring. I am to fat and slow to use over 83 [34/11] gear inches anymore. ;)

#MolteniOrangeRules

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -