HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Agrazziato!

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/20/18 3:32 PM

Agrazziato!

As mention previously, I picked up some 2009/2010-2014 Super Record Ergos and RD.

As I did not want to take anything [built bike] apart to put them on. I remembered the Tomasso frame/fork/headset I got for $80.00 [for mostly Fork] was hiding in the corner up high. It was easier and faster to toss on the Shimano crank than the UT Chorus Compact I have. Who knows if I like the bike I may toss it on rather than put the bars/stem/Ergo on something less junky perhaps.

So tossed [parts is parts] together yet another plastic bike for now. It is a little short in the stack dept for my back, thus the flipped stem. [Rather ride in shame than not at all.]

The Stem/Bars/Ergos weighed 1.2 lb before cables and tape etc. Lightest cockpit I have seen, installed, serviced..... yada. Pretty sick.

The SR and Chorus Ergos feel exactly the same to me. I couldn't tell the difference in a blind fold test. But I don't like to test ride blind folded anyway.

Some black campy brakes, FD and the UT Chorus cranks would round this thing out to be a pretty nice sled.

So I present [and in the interest of bike content]

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

7/20/18 4:55 PM

Interestingly, after a quick intervals ride/session... The bike being named 'Agraviatto' is aptly descriptive. It has a politeness to it in it's manor rolling. I had only done a few 25 mile single speed blasts to try it out when I first got it.

dddd

7/22/18 8:58 PM

You never know how a build will ride until you build and ride it!

The new normal for frame geometry seems to be around 73.5-degrees seattube and 72.5-degrees headtube. Very balanced in use, at least in the ~56cm size range. Your larger frame might use a slightly steeper headtube and slacker seattube(?)

I built up an older NOS Argon18 Gallium frame for a friend last year, and who ended up selling it to me recently. I only had to add a 1cm-longer stem and the unique Argon18 headtube extender to accommodate my added height, and end up with a 15lb bike that I really enjoy riding.
As they say, "the price was right". R-Sys wheels included, I've got under $1300 into this thing!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/22/18 10:43 PM

Nice looking go fast bike there.

daddy-o

7/23/18 8:40 AM

$1,300, Well done.

dan emery

7/23/18 8:57 AM

all in a name

Name a bike after an inert gas?

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/23/18 3:16 PM

It's more than that...

...it's a bike company named after an inert gas.

Reply to topic    

Craig

7/23/18 6:18 PM

It was an homage to the gas used to shield a tig weld, from when they started out building bikes out of steel. Never really considered how absurd a name it is now. Argon 18 has been around a lot longer than most think, founded in 1989.

Reply to topic    

henoch

7/23/18 8:37 PM

From what I have heard those are some nice bikes

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/24/18 10:14 AM

"Your larger frame might use a slightly steeper headtube and slacker seattube(?) "

Looking up geometry, This Tomasso is an XL, the Top Tube is 58CM, so I called it a 58. It is more like a 60 which is what I ride for Road Race Geom.

In this bigger size as you mention, 73.5 HTA and 72.5 STA. In a '56CM' it shows 73/73.

On a side note, I have said here over the years I never like the feel of a positive rise on a stem while out of the saddle. Particularly when honking on the bars. This all carbon fatty stem is so stiff I do not notice that.

Spelling correction: Aggraziato

Steve B.

7/24/18 11:01 AM

You or somebody painted the downtube ?.

My Aggraziato had obvious large yellow lettering.

I had the Tomasso for about 6 mos. then it developed a crack right above the seat post clamp. Randall Scott (the on-line dealer) warrantied the frame, couldn't replace it so sent me a Team Carbon with no matching fork. They told me to use the Aggraziato fork, which was had completely different logo's and color scheme. I even offered to buy a new $200 TC fork, but there were none to be had. I ended up using a butt ugly Profile fork. The experience left a bad taste in my mouth for the RS company, now re-branded as Giant Nerd.

Bike was a stiff ride compared to their Team Carbon.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/24/18 11:50 AM

I read stuff like that a lot on the net about these. I was just after the fork and headset for the 80.00. Easiest thing laying about to get my Super Record parts on to sample. I had to repair the chainstay cable stop, just rubed it. ;)

I want to put a DT graphic that just sez Turd or something. ;) Giro d'feces maybe...

Yes, it was flat black painted 90%, guy said he hated the over the top graphics. Don't know what to believe.

It is stiff and responds well OTS and honk efforts. To the point my interval honks the other day burned my quads like I've not done for a few years, still rode next two days too. I sit a lot and try to keep in zone three since my heart started acting up these past few years.

I expect the SR on it will be short lived, or I will ride it as a beater until it cranks or something. Super Record Beater. ;) Well some SR.

The 6600 CT cranks are chain drop city, I remembered fast why they were not on a bike. So I tossed on 6800 11 speed cranks.

Current iteration cleaned and some tape here and there.

Sparky

7/27/18 6:11 PM

Speaking of Argon bikes.

This guy has a TT custom repaint Lamborghini Green [so the ad said 2 years ago] on the PDX Craigslist, for like 2 years now. The $6950.00 asking if it had the right aero TT wheelset would be untenable. A junker X-spoke and pedestrian spoked commuter rear/normal wheel. I doubt this is worth 1500.00 frankly. But hey, it has 10 speed Ultegra. If I could get it for 1000.00 I'd probably pass.

It is a sexy frame granted, personally the color for me is a 10, but wake up dude. A quick search I found a newer model with SRAM deep Carbons for 1800.00.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/d/argon-18-road-bike-racing/6650431622.html

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -