HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Registration Thread Split

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
daforumadm!n

7/19/18 4:28 PM

Registration Problem

I made a conscious decision not to accept new registrations a while back because, quite honestly, it was exhausting trying to validate and delete bogus usernames (sometimes as many as 75-100 a day). These were clearly bots attempting to destroy your cycling community and I wasn't going to let that happen. There was a three-year period where I didn't receive any new/legitimate TTF registration requests, so it became clear to me it was best to allow the old-timers from the VeloNews TTF days to have a safe place to remain connected with each other instead of shutting it down.

If you have a forum moniker that you'd like to update or even an old email address that you haven't had access to for years which prevents you from logging in, just shoot me a message and I'll help get it sorted out. Thanks! -ant

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

7/20/18 9:46 AM

Members only club?

Antny, would it make sense to have this be an invitation-only forum? Could you take recommendations from "members" for somebody to join? That way, you wouldn't have to do any vetting but the forum could still grow (though very, very slowly).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/20/18 9:57 AM

I can totally appreciate not wanting to combat Bot crap, be a full time job. I fear if the TTF becomes that bad bug bite that is a whopper for ANT, we can loose what we have here.

I have invited folk when cycling threads pop up on guitar forum thread, via Private Message and selectively.

If we are voting, I like the idea of by invitation FWIW.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

7/20/18 10:14 AM

"Supporter" only?

How about pay to join?

Are there bots paying to beat that? I haven't kept up my interest on the bot front.

The banner at the bottom of this page: "If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support". Made that a requirement for joining? Minimum of $1 "pledge"?

Sparky

7/20/18 10:32 AM

"Made that a requirement for joining? Minimum of $1 "pledge"?"

Having to PayPal or other donation have a good weeding effect.

We may want to ask Anthony if he is interested in doing any work on here and CC processing and dealing with that.

Not to mention changing things or growth which may require expensive upgrades to the Software. My sense is probably not.

Remember, system wise we are running on XP or earlier to attempt being analogous.

daddy-o

7/20/18 11:51 AM

Salient points so far:

• Administration is labor intensive.
  • Our host is considerate and all aspects of his participation is appreciated.
  • If you have something about your ID you want to update, he has extended an offer to help update.
  • The login page has a link that gives his email address as: antney1984 @t hotmail.com
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • The thread that prompted this thread is gone.
  • Invitation only?
  • Supporter only?
  • Pay to join?
  • Pay to post?
  • Pay once?
  • Maybe ask Anthony the level of involvement he wants to commit.
  • Software expense for updates? (This is NOT the only component but, phpBB Group, linked below, prominently describes their software as "THE #1 FREE, OPEN SOURCE BULLETIN BOARD SOFTWARE" - A major expense of open-source software is maintaining the installations.)
  • Add captcha? ( https://www.phpcaptcha.org/ perhaps?)

Last edited by daddy-o on 7/20/18 12:46 PM; edited 2 times in total

April

7/20/18 12:08 PM

quote:
doing any work on here and CC processing and dealing with that.

My sense is probably not.

This site DOES already accept payments (“donation“).

Brian Nystrom

7/20/18 12:15 PM

As I asked in the other thread, is there a way to add a Captcha to eliminate robot registrations?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/20/18 3:11 PM

"This site DOES already accept payments (“donation“)."

Only PayPal, or CC also? [you'd think I'd know] I have only donated via PayPal. But I also have some image code on these pages locked off in my browser for a long time.

daforumadm!n

7/20/18 7:38 PM

A new thread was started by someone else called "New Members". It addresses a lot of what is being discussed in this thread. http://cyclingforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12298

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -