HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Huge Windows 10 update: Field report

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
daddy-o

4/28/18 6:02 AM

Huge Windows 10 update: Field report

A heads-up to maybe let you control when Windows updates instead of an arbitrary lockout. April 30 release, May 8 roll-out.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-prepare-for-mondays-windows-10-april-2018-update-1825590970

Highlights pasted from the article (emphasis mine:)
The “Spring Creators” update is no more; Microsoft is now calling its upcoming mega-update to Windows the “Windows 10 April 2018 Update,” and the company is barely locking this name in by releasing the update on Monday, April 30—the last day of the month.

You probably won’t have to install the Windows 10 April 2018 update when it launches Monday.

we’re expecting that Microsoft’s April update will be available for those eager beavers who manually check for a system update on Monday (or some evening the rest of the week.)

Otherwise, Microsoft will start rolling out the update to all Windows users on May 8

Last edited by daddy-o on 5/3/18 4:40 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

4/28/18 6:42 AM

Thanks for the heads up. It is very timely.

I was planning on working on my laptio this morning. That is download and make copies of my laptop's device drivers. Next I was going to reinstall Windows 10.

The reason is that everytime I used the laptop, Microsoft indicated that my version of Windows would not be supported after April 10. That is they drew a line in the sand and will only provide support, including security updates for PCs that have a Windows 10 april 10 or later update.

For the month prior, I was trying in earnest to get the April 10 update installed. Long story, short, I could not get it to work. Hence plan B, start from scratch with fresh reinstall.

What is confusing is that the article link you provided was authored yesterday, but the writer keeps referring to April 10 in the future tense.

I gather the main point is to skip the April 10 update, if not done already, and wait for the big one in May, correct?

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

4/28/18 9:32 AM

I agree, poor syntax (and compounded)

instead:
how-to-prepare-for-mondays- april-2018-windows-10 -update-

not:
how-to-prepare-for-mondays- windows-10-april-2018 -update-

I think the one being released Monday April 30 is the new major update, like the 'Fall Creators Update' that interrupted so many people. On Tuesday the 8th it will be officially rolled out.

Compound problem with the article syntax:
MS usually releases patches the second Tuesday of the month.
The second Tuesday in April was the tenth.

I'm betting the update MS is mandating for you is the April-The-Tenth roll out patch. Hope this edit catches you in time.

April

4/28/18 10:36 AM

Ive gone weeks without touching my laptop. The biggest inhibition being the long “wake up” time.

Most of the time, I just whip out my itzy bitzy iPhone where ever I’m: in the kitchen looking up recipes, on the couch looking up who wrote this piece of music...

My company now supports iPad as a remote login terminal. So I got a keyboard for that. I initially did it for remote access while in ski trips so I didn’t have to lug my klunky laptop with me. It worked well enough I now use that when working from home the last few weeks.

Last time I used my laptop was to do my tax return.

daddy-o

4/29/18 11:13 AM

For peace of mind you might want to pull the laptop out once in a while so the darn thing can update. It stinks to open the laptop for a minute and then walk away thinking "All I wanted to do was to...." because of updates.

Just sayin'

April

4/29/18 7:48 PM

The iPad is a new addition since early this year. So I'll try to remember to open the PC once in a while going forward. But I do wonder if I even need it EVER!

The "All I wanted to do was to...." is often NOT due to updates. It easily takes 1/2 minute to just wake the poor thing up from sleep. And "All I wanted to do was to...." was DONE on my phone by then! The poor laptop went right back to sleep!!! :(

The iPad had absolutely NO LACK TIME in waking up.

daddy-o

5/3/18 4:40 PM

Will impact your day

1 1/2 hours after starting the actual 'Spring Update,' I stepped away from keeping an eye on the progress. An hour or so later when I came back there was a 'Reboot Now?' dialog box on the screen. An hour or more later, after a few automated reboots, I got a login prompt. Another half hour later the hard drive activity light finally stopped looking like 90-100% busy.

For 98% of my work I logon with non-admin credentials. This update was run as an admin. Even though I let the system quiet down completely as an admin, when I logged back on as 'regular-me' it took ten minutes of 'better than ever' and 'almost there' messages before I could use the laptop. I expect every initial login will be the same.

Here's an overview of the major steps taken. The most important one is how to get the darn update without having to poke around too much. Not all the steps are necessary IMO, but they aren't contraindicated either:
Log out of a regular user type account, log on with an admin type account.
Start menu > gear/cog > 'update and security'
Run whatever updates are pending, I had a touchpad and Outlook posted, reboot if required (or for good measure)
Open the same 'update and security' - check for updates, the Spring Creator's release (or whatever it's called) will probably appear.

Follow the prompts and a few hours later you'll have a PC.

Nick Payne

5/3/18 9:00 PM

Well, I put the update onto one machine and it completed without problem and I haven't detected any problems since. On the other machine, the installation of the update kept failing with a 0xC1900101 error, which is some sort of driver problem. And very annoyingly, the update kept trying to install itself over and over again. I disconnected all peripherals except for monitor and wired keyboard and mouse, but still no dice. I then went into the BIOS and started disabling some of the embedded onboard devices. The problem turned out to be the onboard Firewire controller on the ASUS motherboard. With that disabled the update completed successfully.

Last edited by Nick Payne on 5/3/18 11:34 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

April

5/3/18 9:18 PM

Lucky for me, one of my 2 PC is still running Windows 8! ;-)

Not really lucky. It has its own share of issues. But forced upgrade is not one of them! :D

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -