HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Any Jimi Hendrix fans here?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
JohnC

3/7/18 12:20 PM

Any Jimi Hendrix fans here?

There's a "new" album of studio tracks recorded in the year or so after "Electric Ladyland." It's being released next week, but NPR has it available for streaming.
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/01/588947105/first-listen-jimi-hendrix-both-sides-of-the-sky?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180301

Great stuff, IMHO.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

henoch

3/7/18 2:44 PM

Oh cool, thanks for the post.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/7/18 3:22 PM

We have dead actors in Star Wars, why not in artist/music. Not the same really being lost sessions probably. ;)

dan emery

3/7/18 5:06 PM

Thanks

There is no bad Hendrix. I am not a guitarist, but to my ear, no one sounds like him.

Still remember when I heard Purple Haze, senior year in HS.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/7/18 6:55 PM

"but to my ear, no one sounds like him. "

Robin Trower, SRV??

Ever hear Jeff Beck's version of Manic Depression?

Maybe even Kenny Wayne Sheppard and less so Mayer depending on the songs.

I had to google for that last two, had them in my head guitar wise but not in name without help. ;)

daddy-o

3/16/18 11:51 AM

Highly recommended

Thanks for the heads-up. This is longer than I intended, but hopefully it's an easy read.

Now that it's available for download here are some notes, Hendrix fans.

Mannish Boy: Hendrix does Mannish Boy! Starts Hendrix, becomes Sly Stone, definite funk to it. Just the bare Muddy Waters scaffold.
Hear My Train a Comin': A Voodoo Chile, Machine Gun ~esque twelve minutes, familiar title in the oeuvre
Stepping Stone: To me Hendrix' unfinished pop opus. Remember the version on War Heroes? That's where the one on "First Rays of the New Rising Sun" grew from. This one is like a revisited sketch, it has stereo separated overdubs - a few bright flashes, but he's not settled on the lyrics.

(From the War Heroes version)
You're a woman, at least you say you are
You're a woman, at least you look like you are one
You're a woman, at least you taste like you are
But you're making love, in bed with my guitar

So far the best Stepping Stone I've heard is on "Kiss the Sky" (with a phenomenal I Don't Live Today from the San Diego Sports Arena.)

But I digress.

Woodstock Like the popular version, this has Stephen Stills on vocals, a Wurlitzer (?) drums and a bass. I guess that's Jimi tearing up the bass line.
Lover Man: Familiar, a guitar showcase
$20 Fine: A Stills composition and vocals, this time with a Hammond/Wurlitzer combination and a couple of overdubbed guitar lines
Power of Soul: Not an instrumental! I think Hendrix would write into the mic sometimes. Definitely has some 2017 engineering, maybe backup vocals.
Jungle: Instrumental, some new licks, some familiar ones
Things I Used to Do: Blues and a bluesman at the mic. (Guitar Slim/Hendrix)
Georgia Blues: Harder blues and another bluesman at the mic. (Hendrix/Lonnie Youngblood)
Sweet Angel: Instrumental, strains of Little Wing and Wind Cries Mary
Send My Love to Linda: Hendrix composing new material, starts out as an ode, not sure what happens at the second half but it sure fills out instrumentally
Cherokee Mist: Hendrix composing more new material, new sounds

Sparky, you've probably heard the story about Hendrix' London début, coming on stage with Clapton to play the "too hard*" Killing Floor. In retrospect one admirer said "Clapton is God but Hendrix was a force of nature."

If what he heard that night was anything like the Killing Floor Hendrix opened his set with at Monterrey in '67, it's no wonder back stage Clapton's hands were shaking so much he couldn't light his cigarette.

(*Clapton)

Sparky

3/16/18 11:59 AM

Tower had said Procal Harum played at same venue early on, and watching Jimi from side stage changed his playing direction in spades.

If you listen to him soloing it is pretty obvious too.

daddy-o

3/16/18 12:20 PM

Good ol' Bridge of Sighs same with SRV, and the others I recognize.

I really think there was a qualitative leap of music in the 60's and 70's, as in original compositions. That said, when the "Golden Oldies" radio trend hit in the 80's it showed not all the music was so great the second time around. Today I think the musicianship in general is higher, due to the fact that the students are competing with multiple virtuosos' recordings while they study.

And then comes sampling and auto-tune, WTF. You want to record a standard? Record a standard.

John Meyer separates himself from those, IMO, Jack White, Joe Banamassa too.

Sparky

3/16/18 3:31 PM

Here, for the Little Wing fans.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DPjpkVv9OrZQ&ved=0ahUKEwj63NTb5PHZAhVK0GMKHfemBToQwqsBCDEwAg&usg=AOvVaw3jsn2HuH1txX6-lOzhltzp

He goes a little Marty McFly here and there, but considering how he tortures that acoustic it is insanity.

dan emery

3/17/18 6:11 PM

Early Jimi

I saw his clip, which I love, on a documentary and found it on YouTube. He also played for a while with Joey Dee and the Starlighters ("Peppermint Twist") which earlier included freaking Joe Pesci!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6BHO-F4bzSk

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/17/18 7:20 PM

"The band was gr8 without those 2 sissyboys dancing there"

ROTFLMAO, the comments are sometimes funnier than sheit...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -