HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Old School Klein Road.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

2/26/18 7:19 PM

Old School Klein Road.

I think it is a first year Quantum Race, by the steel fork and press fit BB. 1990?

Built this up for a guy. He kept bringing either a BB axle than did not fit, or a crank that hit the stays with the one right press fit BB axle that fit the bearings. This has been at my place in a pile of parts since late summer 17.

The stand over is 1-1/2" taller than my inseam. I had to mount and dismount with it moving. ;)

BTW, 20 lb as pictured, sans tape. I think it is a 63CM. Pretty light for such a big bike that old I'd say.

It is kind of pretty, and with 90lbs in 25C tires ride pretty damn nice. I have an envelope of Decals supplied I have not dug into yet.

Last edited by Sparky on 2/26/18 8:32 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

2/26/18 7:36 PM

BTW, the brakes are 200SL, remember those. I think some of the featherweights here had those in the 90s. I don't see how they are going to stop a guy on a 62CM Quantum.

I seem to recall Nate had those on his Feather he got from Sandiway.

dddd

2/26/18 8:54 PM

The pictured 7410 crankset would have the best chance at achieving sufficient chainline of all Shimano crankset offerings ever. But perhaps this bike, fitted with "the spindle that fits", is set up for a Record or Chorus crankset intended to be fit to an ISO-taper 102mm spindle. That would sort of be the "worst case" in terms of chainline, assuming that the spindle is being properly centered in the bb shell.

The 102mm ISO spindle will be effectively about 6mm shorter overall than the 103mm JIS spindle FWIW, so perhaps that is what you have there.

In an age of black bikes, these old Kleins with their fat tubes and radiant metallic colors stand out pretty well in the crowd.
I bought this one not so long ago and it's a very good all-around bike, and quite quick-feeling even with it's long chainstays.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/26/18 9:09 PM

No, the taper was not Campy. The 8 speed crankset we got from you was the one planned to use, but when it didn't work... I told him to get a 7410 that it will work.

The spindle was not as narrow as a 103mm the 7410 uses. but the Shell is wide on these frames. I forgot all the measurements.

Craig

2/26/18 10:26 PM

I believe you can still get replacement BBs from Phil Wood. You could a few years ago anyway. Still going to be square taper, but they probably still have them. And square taper cranks are readily available for cheap lightly used. Good looking bike. I'd ride it, downtube shifters and all (with Cane Creek aero levers, because they are so much more comfortable....)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/26/18 10:42 PM

I had told him about the Phil BB axles, he had a problem with the price. He got a Ti Axle off the eBay that the seller mis-measured that was 14.#? that did not fit. I think it is 16mm or 16.1 or something, I forget.

Dug out the decals he gave me, They are vinyl and just different size 'KLEIN' in Caps, 2 head badge decals that look too big for a 1" steer head tube. No 'model name' decal. Couple of the round coin 1/2 'K' shields in 2-3 sizes.

daddy-o

2/26/18 11:05 PM

What's the wheelbase on that one dddd? That's crazy, but it still looks like the chainstays are going to pinch a tire the next size up.

Sparky the handlebars look like they're stuck on with JB Weld, custom job? 😈

Sparky

2/27/18 12:03 AM

That is an odd photo artifact, weird. It would be Gorilla tape if I was taping shit on though. ;)
It is a Nitto sleeved bar, and the sleeve is not as shiny. So maybe the light came off it oddly. It would be black if it was gorilla tape. ;)

Is that long chain stay Klein a Solace?

Oops, put the fork crown circle backwards

daddy-o

2/27/18 1:55 AM

👍👍

Brian Nystrom

2/27/18 2:12 PM

It looks similar to my '79 Team Super...

...but it's definitely much newer. Then again, you could probably say that about any Klein road bike. That color wasn't available in the first few years that Klein made bikes and the top tube decal indicates a later vintage as well.

I've had a couple of different cranks on mine, Nuovo Record and Synchros (IIRC) and both worked fine with the stock BB. I've used the BRS-200 brakes on that bike and a couple of others and they work great with Kool Stop salmon pads. It takes a bit more hand strength to brake, but in exchange you get better modulation. I'll have to take it out for a spin to see how it feels after using Feather brakes and clones thereof on my current bikes. It's been ages since I used downtube friction shifters, so that should be fun, too!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/27/18 2:21 PM

Except for my saddle and seatpost, ready to go home to papa.

He has some nice Heliums that are going on. Period correct too. ;)

And sexed up modern wheels and sexed up Aero for shiets and giggles.

And done...

Brian Nystrom

2/27/18 4:09 PM

When did the move to 130mm rear ends happen?

Does anyone here know? I suspect that it was when 8-speeds came out, but I'm not sure. My Klein is 125mm and I'm trying to figure out how much updating could be done on it.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

2/27/18 7:08 PM

I’ve had 2 Quantum’s, an ‘89’ish (it was on the shop floor for a bit) and a ‘95.

The ‘89 had the down tube shifters mounted on the top of the DT on a custom bracket and used internal cabling. It was thus not possible to put STI shifters on it, as there was no way to install housing stops. I’m not sure for how long Klein did this design, an advantage was you could do one handed shifts of front and rear. It was a 7 speed freewheel at 125mm, also an upgrade stopper. It then suffered much sweat corrosion of the brake housing guides that were on top of the top tube. Trek owned Klein at this point and warrantied me a new frame for a good price.

They were great bikes, sorry to have had issues with them, loved the ride,

Last edited by Steve B. on 2/28/18 12:08 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/27/18 7:45 PM

I'd still probably grab a Q-Pro flip flop paint if it crossed my path in my size. There are 2-3 color flops I could approve of under me. Although I truely hate the rear facing dropouts. I had a solid Rorange Q-Carbon a few years back with those, and 23mm tire was the max. hard points to get past for me. This older on will fit 28mm with a little breathing room. I tried it out.

A little less yellow embellishment on the top one...

Last edited by Sparky on 2/27/18 7:58 PM; edited 2 times in total

Sparky

2/27/18 7:47 PM

I'd also have trouble passing one of these by if it presented itself to me for less than a million dollars. ;)

walter

2/28/18 9:15 AM

big bike!

love that colnago OvalMaster GEO. i'd thumb-wrestle you for it!

dfcas

2/28/18 9:59 AM

25C tires ride pretty damn nice

I've heard a lot of terms to describe the ride of a Klein, but not nice.

dddd

2/28/18 11:13 AM

Lucky for me that I bought the "Performance" model with longer chainstays I guess. The ride isn't bad at all, even with fairly steep frame angles.

There's room in back for a 28mm tire, but in front the top of a 28mm tire might actually contact the fork crown. To either side there is plenty of clearance though, helpful if the rim went out of true.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

2/28/18 12:11 PM

I went from a Fuji steel road bike to 2 Kleins, then a Lemond titanium, then to carbon.

The Kleins were most like the carbons in terms of ride quality and stiffness. The Fuji and Lemond were noodles, hated them.

Note that I'm a clyde, so possibly my weight helped dampen the buzz of aluminum.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/28/18 1:48 PM

"Note that I'm a clyde, so possibly my weight helped dampen the buzz of aluminum."

And with 62-3CM frames, longer tubes usually same diameter and wall thickness as 56-8CM frames.

The owner of the Klein had an old 3.0 Cannondale road bike when we met when I first got here.. Even with 23mm tires I was quite surprised at the smoothness it exhibited when I rode it a few times.

I had one straight ga Ti Lemond in the 90s. Only stiff Ti frame I have had. The Litespeed classics I had a few versions of I found too flexy when I was 190lb.. But that was 15+ years ago, and I doubt I would find then too flexy today frankly. I was a lot more potent then with 27" speed skater type thigh diameters.

The last Classic [stiffest 2000 I think?] I came out of a turn in the big ring and did a raise my butt hammer and it popped onto the little chain ring, then back up when I sat and did the WTF was that posture.

I would bet the bank that same bike would be plenty stiff even 20 lbs heavier.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -