HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

SLX Colnago comes home to roost

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

1/24/18 5:33 PM

SLX Colnago comes home to roost

Sold the Nago I had since 94 in 2014. Frame popped up on local Craigslist over the summer for $400.00, then $275.00. The ad got edited recently, $150.00. So after 3.5 years away, the prodigal Nago returns...

I never had it striped down this far to weigh it in the 20+ years I had it. But to my surprise, the 1984 SLX frame/fork and steel campy headset is 5.8 lb.

The chrome on the fork is the weakest link. So I plan to paint fork to match and get repro panel/decals. Stay tuned for a Spring time rebirth. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

1/29/18 2:17 PM

If you really want a nice lightweight steel frame, the Cherubim Sticky comes in at 1.35kg (under 3lbs). Both TT and DT are 1" diameter.

http://www.cherubim.jp/bikes/sticky/index.html

Edit: very nice detail work on the frame, too:

Last edited by Nick Payne on 1/29/18 7:27 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/29/18 2:48 PM

I think it broke as soon as I looked at it...

greglepore

1/29/18 5:30 PM

Saroni, baby!

PLee

1/30/18 10:58 AM

Man, I now need to take out my steel Tomassini and polish it up.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/30/18 11:19 AM

"take out my steel Tomassini"

And show it off. ;)

Sparky

2/11/18 3:06 PM

Greg's Anvil juiced me up a bit.

Spent some effort to clean chrome [not fork] and paint deeply to decide how recoverable the Nago is. Not unhappy so far, still need to hit the Chain stay with some semi-chrome.

I kind of don't want to make it so nice I won't ride it. As in total refinish. [$!?] So leaning cleaning up and redoing the previous touch ups I did years ago.

Once I mix a matched/faded Saroni batch of paint, I will use that for the drop fills and to just paint the fork to match. Refilling yellow in all the right places/engravings prior. Partial repainting further over chrome CS probably. Then clear over it all including new Panels and other decals. Shooting for a 90+% mostly orig aesthetic.

The paint is pretty good actually for 33 years old.

I ordered some re-pro vinyl Nago panels and SLX Tubing decal I trashed in the bike stand years ago not realizing it was not cleared over.

Will probably just toss on a 7800 Groupo, have two still from 11s upgrades. Unless I find a nice ERGO groupo at some point before/during/after. But 7800 is pretty light as groups go FWIW.

greglepore

2/13/18 3:16 PM

Looking better. Problem with vinyl decals is the amount of clear it takes to make things level, the Anvil took 18! coats.

dan emery

2/13/18 4:51 PM

18 coats?

Dude, were you off your medication?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/13/18 5:15 PM

"the Anvil took 18! coats"

Coats of what is my question?

I expect I'll use two part Urethane to seal down the vinyl repro panels, then use Nitro to re-clear and build/level. I actually have a lot of experience doing this with Electric guitar I build from scratch. And a filtered positive pressure spray booth I made in a corner of the shop.

Example of material glue down fill/level clear here:

And this got even more clear coats after the pre assemble state in this pic.

greglepore

2/13/18 5:36 PM

Not me bro Dan, I'd be happy to fax you a copy of Tom Kellog's invoice for the repaint though. Yay.

Sparky

2/13/18 6:24 PM

"invoice for the repaint"

$675.00

Brian Nystrom

2/14/18 6:24 AM

Why do you care if the decals are level?

It seems pretty pointless to pile on a bunch of paint to do so.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

2/14/18 7:58 AM

RE: 7800- still the Shimano pinnacle as far as I'm concerned. The exposed cables are funky, but every other solution to get the same light action has resulted in cable wear issues. My c40 came with 7800, and I was going to pull it off and put on 10 spd Campy, but after a few rides I sold the surplus Campy and decided to keep it.

Brian-if you saw the frame irl you'd get it, looks painted on as opposed to applied. Not sure if 18 was hyperbolic, but that's what he said :)

dan emery

2/14/18 8:19 AM

decals

Places like CyclArt will make any decals they can't get. I've thought of having them restore my '83 Fat Chance with the ubercool original "cartoon" decals.

Dunno if that would be cheaper than 18 coats of clear coat (albeit not as shiny!)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/14/18 11:40 AM

"7800- still the Shimano pinnacle "

I've yet to find any other shifers as buttery. Being I have two mint sets, I will have to decide. The Di2 has spoiled me back to no cables jutting out again.

My disc Strong has 10s indexed BarCons, total run under tape and shift perfectly.

"pile on a bunch of paint to do so."

I get that too. My first Strong I had no decals under the clear. I have updated the over the clear 'STRONG' to his newer style at a point. I didn't bother with the disc one, all cleared over.

The panels on the 85 Nago panels are applied over the paint, I am about to get the blow drier out. ;)

daddy-o

2/15/18 9:34 AM

Decals too

Turns out clear 'water decal' substrate for ink jet and UV printing is a thing. (New to me)

Not saying a desktop inkjet printed Raleigh red and yellow panel will hold up to very much direct sunlight, but 21st century vehicle advertising demonstrates the inks do exist.
Betting this is where Dan's CyclArt note comes in.

This is where I started: http://www.decalpaper.com/
(It's too bad in the video she used a pure white mug, but for a fleeting instant while she applies the decal, the substrate reveals to be clear.
Now how well will that mug hold up in a dish washer?)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -