HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Something old is new again-Don Ferris by way of Spectrum

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
greglepore

2/10/18 7:47 AM

Something old is new again-Don Ferris by way of Spectrum

Next to be built this winter is an old friend, an Anvil custom that I crashed five years ago or so. Dinged the downtube and put it away for a while. Recently got the itch to ride light steel again, so I had Tom and Rich replace the downtube, shave off the barrel adjusters and refinish. Going to try etap for the first time.
Built mechanical this thing was around 17lbs, pretty respectable given the bling buttresed lugs, lugged stem and steel fork. I have a Columbus Minimal as well that Tom painted with a faux crown. I'm so happy with the pearl paint that I wanted to get pics up before the build. The care taken during the repair was exceptional, and the prices very reasonable (although things do add up when you ask for this kind of masking, an extra fork, and the gazillion coats of clear needed to hide the only decals available that happened to be vinyl). I'll certainly miss having these guys around the corner when I move south, as the entire experience was a pleasure. Thanks guys!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

2/10/18 7:57 AM

It's a beaut. Enjoy!

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

2/10/18 9:16 AM

"Light steel"

Is that like "clean coal"? ;-)

Seriously, that's a very pretty bike and I can appreciate the workmanship that went into it. I find the aesthetics of webbed lugs somewhat off-putting (I feel the same way about Calfee carbon frames), but at the BB they should offer some structural benefit. Perhaps they look better when you see them in person.

Reply to topic    

lrzipris

2/10/18 9:22 AM

OT

Is that a Nakashima coffee table? Another local craftsman.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/10/18 10:04 AM

Awesome

That is a beauty. I remember when you had it built - wasn't the original paint job green and blue?

Don't see that many lugged steel stems....

Can't quite see what happens on the backside of the seat cluster.

I like the buttressed lugs - similar to those on my old (pre-Trek) Bontrager Racelite.

I'll bet it rides great.

What's this moving South stuff?

Reply to topic    

greglepore

2/10/18 11:48 AM

Hey Dan, how ya feeling?

All blue, actually. The rear stay is brazed directly below the seat lug, its a neat joint.

Plan is to head to Charlottesville next fall...we have a house there already. Its far enough south that the snow doesn't stick, but still 4 seasons. Horse country for the missus (and I'll play occasionally) and world class cycling in the Blue Ridge.

As to the coffee table, I wish :) Its a walnut slab I picked up at a sawmill. My dad and a couple of his retirement community buddies added the legs and finished it.

Sparky

2/10/18 12:00 PM

Now that I just re-appropriated my 85 SLX Nago... Not to mention some Sarronish red going there...

Stem is sick!

That is beaut. Looking forward to seeing it all built up. Is it some version of Motorola colors, or does memory decieve me?

What are you thinking wheel wise? Some Rolf Vector-ish spoke patterns might ad some interesting style points, thinking out loud...

;)

BTW: For me, that straight steel fork is sex on a steerer, Just saying. ;}

dan emery

2/10/18 5:10 PM

Feeling good thanks

Greg, I'm doing pretty well. My busted leg is fine, my busted arm is coming along well and doesn't bother me much. I've never had any symptoms from the aneurysm, I have another scan in May and we'll see if it's growing or just sitting there. After that I'll figure out how to deal with it in terms of riding and general exertion. May not be much significant limitation, we'll see.

On a more temporary note, just got over a bout with the flu. Holy crap, I'm not sure I ever actually had the flu before, but this was it. Take all the precautions they tell you to, it sucks! Just rode indoors (Mallorca ErgVideo) today for the first time in 2 weeks, felt good.

In the words of John Hiatt "Drive South!" Sounds great.

Reply to topic    

Rickk

2/11/18 2:26 PM

Great eye candy

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -