HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Windstorm fun

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

11/4/17 9:54 AM

Windstorm fun

Any other Northeasterners get punked by the windstorm? Lost power at home and office Monday early, office back Wednesday, house a few hours ago. My fence, which is key to my lifestyle as it contains my dogs, was smashed by trees in 4 separate places. I was really lucky to get a guy who spent all day yesterday clearing the trees and fixing the fence. Of course with my arm and aneurysm that is exactly stuff I can't do (along with splitting wood, which would have allowed use of the wood stove). I don't have a generator but I got to listen to everyone else's.

But now it's good!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/4/17 10:20 AM

Glad to hear none landed on you and broke anything else considered a branch of Dan. ;)

I have both almost been hit, and been hit by falling trees or branches a few times. Remember the clav/ribs in 2000 when that one did not quite miss. ;)

I had two on top of my shop 2016 windy part of weather change into autumn. It is the old farm building from original property made from what looks like overpass corrugation panels for pouring concrete over. It is overbuilt being the point, barely a dent. But I think really the branches with leaves acted to abate the fall before the trunks hit the edge of the bldg.

I got up there with the chain saw and made a lot of fire wood. My shoulders for two days from the task ached like trauma. ;) So you don't need a sling to decide to do it or not...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

11/4/17 10:44 AM

Dan's pics:

Fixed and pre-fixed

Steve B.

11/4/17 3:11 PM

We got a lot of warnings of high winds and many inches of rain, but excepting the eastern end of Long Island, it was just rain and a bit windy on the NYC area. I think the Hudson River valley got more rain then we did, but it was out of the news in a hurry.

I do know that Maine and parts of NH got hammered, with a lot of folks without power - 300,000 or so, but I only know that as I watch the weather for your region.

Sorry to hear about the damage.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/4/17 3:42 PM

Outage numbers

Actually in Maine over 500,000 lost power. I think the State's population is about 1.3 million. More outages than the fabled ice storm of '98. Fortunately for me the effect was mostly inconvenience.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

11/4/17 7:13 PM

I was mtb,ing one time and on a calm windless day I heard a crash behind me. Stopped and looked and a huge tree had fallen across the trail where I had just ridden through. 20 seconds difference and I would have been smashed.

Matthew Currie

11/4/17 11:40 PM

Mine went out Sunday night late, and we got it back Thursday night. Long though that was, we did better than some, and the power company's estimate was for Friday night.

We have a generator, so were sitting pretty with everything normal except for turning off the electric water heater. We probably could even have run that but turn it off so things don't bog down when the furnace, pump and refrigerator all go on at once.

The outage map for Vermont was quite surprising. We had very little visible damage where we were, but large parts of the state were hammered, and somewhere up the road our line got it too.

Reply to topic    

April

11/5/17 4:25 PM

quote:
with my arm and aneurysm that is exactly stuff I can't do

Dan, I must have missed a thread some time back... what happened to your arm?

Sparky

11/5/17 5:17 PM

His arm had an anyeurism i think... Or was it his dog? [insert snickering muttley gif]

dan emery

11/5/17 5:47 PM

Arm, shoulder, aneurysm, etc.

Well I'll admit that my medical issues this year are hard even for me to keep track of.

I broke my humerus about 5 weeks ago while walking my dogs and they went after a skunk. I may have described it before as "shoulder" as it is kind of both (the ball at the top of the humerus is broken). It is coming along pretty well with a plate and lots of screws, but I ain't doing no chainsawing for awhile.

Update on the aneurysm is we will do surgery to repair it in January or possibly December. The surgeon feels it is beyond the monitoring phase, and that may be not be all bad as with monitoring you are in a kind of no man's land which is not without risks. I talked with a friend yesterday who is a fine cyclist and seasoned medical malpractice defense lawyer, and when I told him they were doing surgery he immediately said "good."

Reply to topic    

April

11/5/17 7:54 PM

Oh, sorry I forgot.

I knew about it but thought that was a while back. Didn’t realize it’s only been 5 weeks.

Sparky

11/5/17 8:54 PM

I was trying to be a little humerus, very little. :)

PLee

11/6/17 9:40 AM

Here's what you need for firewood.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-5-Ton-Electric-Log-Splitter/4774133

Reply to topic    

greglepore

11/9/17 8:20 AM

Dan, is that a full on open chest or can they do it laproscopically now?

dan emery

11/9/17 10:26 AM

surgery

Greg, this is a full boat open chest - the aneurysm is just above the heart and currently they can't get there through a vein.

There is also some more ambiguity. The surgeon scheduled a CT with dye and a diagnostic cath in preparation for the surgery. When I met with the cardiologist prior to the cath he said the CT with dye showed the aneurysm smaller than the previous imaging (and should be the most accurate), so he didn't want to do a cath before revisiting whether surgery is still indicated. So he will talk with the surgeon about the recent CT and we'll see where it ends up. 3 different types of images of the aneurysm show 3 different diameters. I am OK with surgery if the surgeon still feels that is the way to go.

Nothing is simple...

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -