Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

The Joy of window 10 !

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

10/6/17 12:55 PM

The Joy of window 10 !

Or not!

They're kind enough to tell me there's a large update that will take " longer than usual". Even offer me the option to schedule when to get it done. Nice, isn't it?

Saturday midnight would be ideal, so that's what I chose.

You probably guessed, it's happening right now. In the middle of a workday!

( and if you wondered why I'm still using Windows? That's because my employer only supports remote access from PC/Mac, not from linux. Even though, as soon as I remote login, I would be working on a Linux server)

[warning: political content ahead]

All that talk about limiting the power of the government. The power is not in the government. It's in the hands of the key corporations. Microsoft? Sure. How about Equifax? Yahoo? How's Google?

Pro or anti gun control? Abortion? We're barking up the wrong tree!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

10/6/17 6:50 PM

Recommended Windows 10 desktop background 4 u

Reply to topic    

April

10/14/17 11:10 PM

That was just the appetizer.

Today is Saturday night. It started right at midnight, an hour ago. It’s now 11% done!

So, if I’m lucky, it may finish when I get up, provided I sleep a good 10 hrs!!!

(but on the other hand, perhaps the forum’s host machine is also going through that samr 10hr log “upgrade”?)

dddd

10/15/17 1:13 AM

I've got Windows 10 here and am not seeing any "update and restart" notice as of yet, but mine is a home edition.
Thanks for the heads-up though, I would have started the update before retiring for the night if I had the chance.

And as for the corporations having power, it is often their shareholders who direct the biggest decisions, while perhaps staying well out of the limelight.
So it seems like it would be tricky trying to understand Microsoft's agenda as it were.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

10/15/17 5:33 AM

My Win 10-Pro laptop had an extended C: drive thrashing the other day, followed by an MS reboot message. Thankfully I wasn't typing and didn't agree to 'Now' with a spacebar. When I did reboot it was done and quiet getting back to it after dinner. Second-Tuesdays of the month Microsoft users need to be aware and accept the intrusion while the OS patches, disagreeable or not.

And no, I don't run Kaspersky. </black humor>

April

10/15/17 7:17 AM

It’s now the morning!

Not even saying what % done/to-go, just the “don’t turn off you PC” spllashed on the screen!!!

Fortunately, I’m just leaving for a ride and won’t need it for another 5-6 hrs. Unfortunately, I would not be able to download the GPS route. But fortunately again, I can get the turn instruction on my phone!

Viva Android/iPhone!

April

10/15/17 7:27 PM

So I thought being out all day riding saves me from "interfering" with Microsoft's perfect update strategy. What could be better but to leave it alone to run its course?

No such luck!

The moment I logged back in, it promptly informed me I have pending updates, and kindly ask what would be the best time to install it?!!!

It's restarted itself 3 times since then, despite my clicking on the "NOT NOW" option! I think I'm supposed to be grateful that these update to the update are small and the install & restart process brief???

But like the Trump-as-president comedy, I've now adopted a more "relaxed" mind set, and able to sit back and laugh at it! After all, I can't be sure which is more sinister, Trump as the president? Or Microsoft forced update that takes hours to install? Rather ironic that in an age where processing power are measured in millisecond, one needs to spend HOURS every other week just to "update" our computer! One wonders what might be going on during those dark hours when the computer is under the control of some dark forces...

sandiway

10/16/17 9:48 PM

4 hours

It took numerous reboots and about 4 hours to finish updating my Dell laptop today:

That's because I haven't run Windows 10 on it for about 5 months...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

April

10/17/17 4:22 AM

It probably takes less time to install a new one!

daddy-o

10/17/17 10:25 AM

Everything after the first line is piling on

Pressing the "not now" button for several patch iterations, months, is asking for exactly what is happening.

<ha ha only serious>
The next time you see a 'patches' pop-up from the OS tell yourself "I'm going to click OK, stare at the screen and chew on a piece of leather until it's done just to prove to myself that Daddy-o is an idiot.

Most months Daddy-o will be proven to be that idiot when you log back on before you finish lunch.

"And just to underscore Daddy-o is an idiot I'm not going to save or close anything before clicking." Surprise windows has gotten really good at saving the system state! (Writing as a sysadmin: Do Not Trust any OS to save your work. I wash my hands of any culpability.)

Every OS has major revisions. There was a thread a few months ago about the last one and how it interrupted coffee breaks.* It sounds like some people elected to put it off. Every OS has major revisions. Microsoft's happen to cover about 10^x^x as many variations in software and hardware as the next most popular OS's. Security. Okay, I mentioned security.

Linux is by far the easiest to ignore updates and it's a nightmare getting support for. Remember the Saturday Night Live line:
"I'm from 'Joisey!" "Oh yeah! What exit?"
well
"I run Linux!" "Oh yeah! What distro?"

By the way: I dig Linux and I've continually maintained desktops running since kernal 0.95 i.e. pre-one-point-oh. It's not for amateurs. Hobbyists maybe. You know, people willing to put in a lot of time and deal with idiosyncrasies. Logging into a Linux server is different from being the sysadmin for one. Is that Linux server rock solid? Buy your sysadmin a coffee. I mean seriously.

Microsoft vs Apple vs Linux on desktops and laptops:
90% / 6% / 3% August 2017 (99%)

MS vs Apple vs Linux hardware:
Completely open standard / proprietary / open limited

MS vs Apple vs Linux software:
Most popular / limited subset, nice audio & video tools / no no that's not fair because we are better better better and free and totally configurable if you know how to script in our arcane language that doesn't add to your resume but maybe to your CV.

As for "It probably takes less time to install a new one!"
Right you are!
...but patching that new system takes forever.
</ha ha only serious>

Thank you for making it this far. I hope it was an easy read. I'm planning to limit my reply to one pithy line or less. ;')

*The spring update thread analysis is fake news, the spring OS major revision was actually painful.

sandiway

10/17/17 11:44 AM

I use and maintain all three. MacOS Sierra on 3 Macs. Windows 10 and Ubuntu on a Dell XPS 13. And CentOS on a dual socket workstation. Nowadays I keep good notes so I can walk myself through the entire process, library incompatibilities, and redo from fresh just in case something irretrievably wrong happens.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/17/17 12:14 PM

"in case something irretrievably wrong happens"

First, Hello Sandi.. [long time]

Second, and re:quoted text. Do you find things go 'irretrievably wrong' more frequently on one platform over another?

Nick Payne

10/19/17 1:49 PM

I'd hold off on applying this update if you have multiple PCs on your home network. A lot of people are finding that it borks network discovery. I encountered this myself on the one Win10 machine that I upgraded - rolled back to previous version and problem gone.

MS have acknowledged there's a problem - a couple of postings from MSFT staff in a long thread about the problem here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1add7d03-2bc0-4d1e-9248-fef090d9ba0e/anyone-else-notice-the-network-issues-with-windows-10-creators-edition

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/19/17 2:25 PM

I seem to recall the discovery group thing got changed...

And by thing, I mean method of course. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -