Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

8/23/17 2:39 PM

Not anymore...

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/23/17 3:08 PM

Meh, parts is parts. I have had so many animal and body parts in my hands in my life that nothing phases me.

Starting a new Gizzard thread.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

8/24/17 1:57 PM

Bird plucking

Mmmmm. Gizzards. When I was a kid I got to pluck and gut the birds my dad shot (pheasant, grouse, woodcock) so that brought back some memories. They smell pretty good too!

Reply to topic    

April

8/24/17 4:01 PM

I prefer the eclipse picture infinitely more!

Thanks Erik for those.

daddy-o

8/25/17 9:48 AM

Some researchers consider cycling to be a non-weight bearing exercise. Any thoughts on osteopenia / osteoporosis on cyclists?

Rickk

8/25/17 10:50 AM

Google Scholar's our friend

Good question.

Lower bone mineral density (BMD) has been observed in avid cyclists:

https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?hl=fr&q=osteopenia+in+cyclists&btnG=&lr=

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/03/bones-and-cyclists.html

Although note - high amounts of caffeine / perspiration / alcohol / smoking, sedentary lifestyles, and certain medications such as long-term cortisone useage etc. ... are all also known to potentially negatively affect BMD.

So ... is it because of road cycling being a "non-impact" sport for lower extremity bones (vs. running, jumping or ball-court sports etc), or because of prolonged sweating associated with long road races or mountain stages, or because of cyclists attraction for espressos, or because of long periods of supine resting/recuperation, immediately following long hours in the saddle... (or because majority of TTFers being white collar professionals - who mostly sit in front of computer vs. working in heavy physical labour types of jobs :p ) ???

It would be interesting (but likely difficult) to carry out post-hoc analyses on the above studies, to account for all the various, potential confounders.

It would also be interesting to see if BMD differences exist in avid road cyclists vs tracksprinters vs mountain bikers (however track sprinters generally also hit the gym/weight lift lots to help improve lower extremity explosive power and strength, and mountain bikers experience more lower extremity impact/bouncing vs roadies)

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/25/17 11:07 AM

Anecdotally

There seems to be quite a bit of opinion/conventional wisdom that osteoporosis is fairly common in cyclists. Non-weightbearing activity and sweating would seem potentially part of the causation.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/25/17 11:23 AM

Swimmers too, yes? Although the sweating component while submerged comparatively has me wondering re: effect/severity etc.

Sparky

9/7/17 8:00 PM

Update Total Hip

3 weeks two days later Elaine is going back to work. She will be doing seated work for a while, not standing in the OR for a while. But she is taking on the new scheduling system and also doing the scheduling in the old system until orchestrating the cross over.

I expect 2-3 weeks in she will start a few cases a week in the OR and acclimate back to her normal pace over a few weeks. Considering 90 days is what is normal for this procedure, She is happy to go back. She loves her job and the folks there.

She is on the Madone on the mag trainer with no mag engagement with no residual pain. She tried that 5 days in and just pedaled easy circles for 15 minutes and had to hit the Oxy. She had only taken it two days, quit and took it that one day after I guess over doing it too early. Doc said if it hurts wait a week and try again. ;)

dan emery

9/8/17 4:44 AM

Sounds good

Glad she is coming along well. Does she have PT? I found that very helpful in recovery. Best wishes to her.

I was back in the OR myself yesterday, removal of a parathyroid gland, which went well.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/8/17 1:53 PM

Glad to hear thst went well. What a year for you.

I dropped her @8:30, brought a bike and just got back to car with 10:00 to spare. Nice to get a few hours out on the bike. AQI was sooo bad here not ridden for 8 daze. Did a hilly yesterday and undulating today. I was going nuts...

She is not cleared to drive yet...

dan emery

9/8/17 2:14 PM

what a year....

and it continues. The fancy scan I had in preparation for the parathyroidectomy also showed I have an aortic aneurysm. These can range from not too bad, just keep an eye on it, to life threatening. I just had an echo to get a better look at it but don't have the results yet. The surgeon who read the initial scan didn't think it looked too bad, but I'll get more analysis with the info from the echo. I'm cautiously optimistic.

From a glass half full perspective, if it's there, I'm glad we know about it.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/8/17 3:16 PM

Jeeeze...

sanrensho

9/8/17 3:49 PM

I had my bone density checked about seven years ago and the results were low bone mass. Low bone density is very real for cyclists.

Up to that point, cycling was my sole source of exercise. I've since picked up running to add impact-bearing exercise, and also lift regularly using kettlebells and bodyweight, mostly concentrating on upper body/core.

Strength training is especially important as we age. The strength training has been greatly beneficial to both my cycling and running. The upper half of my body feels rock solid during exercise, without the aches and pains I used to get.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -