Ran 10K twice this week and rode a few times

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

9/1/17 4:43 PM

Ran 10K twice this week and rode a few times

Getting it done just slowly.

And

My daughter and her husband bought a house. They were living in a horrible trailer on a great piece of land. It was a terrible place but my daughter and her farm thing was the reason they were there.

Well they found an older (circa 1988) home with an acre of land for her goats and chickens. The house is huge, but oh it is so 1988. The colors are awful but that can be fixed over time. The home has been vacant for a couple of years because the owners grew old and could no longer be on their own. In it's day the home was TOP SHELF, but today not so styling. I helped some today with auger bit dropping holes for a 6 foot privacy (goat) fence. LOL

She happy and healthy (other than the prednisone weight gain) and so am I.

It has PINK and WHITE carpeting in rooms, with bright blue walls. Who knows the retro thing is in and they may make it work in the 21st century.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

9/1/17 4:58 PM

Sounds promising, new money pit in the family... ;)

Thanks for sharing.

ErikS

9/1/17 5:22 PM

This one is self inflicted.

Actually the home appears to be pretty sound. It qualified for a VA loan, and they tend to be picky. New roof, new AC. Needs paint inside and out for sure. Paint is CHEAP.

Sparky

9/1/17 5:32 PM

"qualified for a VA loan, and they tend to be picky."

Not really as much as you'd think. Primarily roof and windows, and believe it or not screens...

ErikS

9/1/17 5:42 PM

LOL the VA was picky on this one and required a re-inspection before the closing to ensure the gigs were taken care of.

Crawl space moisture levels (seller put in a dehumidifier system and lined the entire crawl space). Termite (2 inspections and a new bond required here along with full treatment of the property). A/C as stated. New dishwasher.

Sidewalks must all be level.

Wiring and plumbing up to code (some work was done on this at the home)

Things the VA let slide, paint, unsafe trees on the lot and of course cosmetic stuff.

The inspector even lit a fire in the fireplace to ensure it flowed properly. In August.

Sparky

9/1/17 5:47 PM

Oh yeah, termites. Being here for 6-7 years I forgot about those. Was pleasantly surprised that not a problem here for homes. And with all the forestry here, you'd think... Maybe they don;t like conifers mostly, which is what mostly the trees are here. TN was really bad with termites.

KerryIrons

9/3/17 10:54 AM

Weather

quote:
they don't like conifers

It's mostly the weather. Houses all over the US are built with yellow pine so the food supply is the same. The SE is a favorable climate for bugs, termites included.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/3/17 11:33 AM

And the Douglas Fir VS yellow pine perhaps. My 70s house here is Fir girders, framing and subfloor. My 70s house in TN was yellow pine, and I did quit a bit joist doubling and framing repairs from previous termite eatings.

More heartwood in fir lumber VS yellow pine with more percent sapwood?

I think 'Oregon Pine' is actually Fir VS southern pine. I remember using all Fir in NJ in the 80s when building.

dan emery

9/3/17 1:13 PM

Glad to hear you and your daughter are doing well

Sounds good. Is the prednisone permanent for your daughter?

Maybe those goats could do a job on the carpet....takes me back to some orange shag I had in an apartment once. Of course I just forget about stuff like that in 2 days or so.

In my abdominal surgery saga after the one adrenal gland was removed it appears the other is producing cortisol normally, so I am off the supplement. Since I have some left and it is a banned PED, there are several possibilities....:)

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -