Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

best 1k I've spent in a while

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
greglepore

8/25/17 3:20 PM

best 1k I've spent in a while

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XR6c6K] [/url]

Need to make a few mods and cut the steerer. But its close to perfect, and the ride is as legend has it.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

walter

8/25/17 7:40 PM

welcome to the club

very sharp looking mk-2 you have there...chapeau!

what fork did you go with -- is that a painted "colnago street" or something else? i like the one-time-cutting-edge zipp cranks, too.

greglepore

8/25/17 7:47 PM

I'm not at all sure about the fork, but my best guess is Easton EC90, due to the easton top cap and the shape. A decent enough fork that Crumpton used it for his builds, and the correct rake.

I'll have to post pics tomorrow of the cheesy faux Colnago painted wheels it came with and the saddle with the deco guy stenciled on.

The cranks are going on ebay along with the ti bb, I really want a compact at this stage of my life; have a quarq elsa at a good price on the way.

I have campy parts waiting to go on, but 7800 shifts soooo nice. I just don't like the cable spaghetti. Someone on another board suggested I could use nokon and get it under the tape, but I doubt it. Will try the Campy stuff and see if I want to go back.

walter

8/25/17 7:50 PM

EC90 is a good option, i used an easton EC50 on my first C40 -- in 2005 the value of a Star was too great so i had to cash in!!! as you've found, the legendary C40 ride is...sweet and smoove.

Sparky

8/25/17 8:48 PM

Green spaghetti at that...

sanrensho

8/25/17 11:34 PM

Dura Ace 7800 shifts like a dream. Best shifters Shimano ever made.

I miss hanging onto the cables with my forearms on the top of the bars (aero position).

Reply to topic    

dddd

8/30/17 9:07 AM

7800 can shift really well, and the exposed cabling is smoothly routed and easier to service. Hint, I always test for the shortest possible housing lengths during setup by turning the steering full-lock in each direction, for less of the "criss-srossed sagging cables" look. Shops leave extra length for possible future stem swaps, I usually don't.

One lesson I learned the hard way was to always use Shimano chain on Shimano 10s road gruppos. A SRAM chain I installed had to be replaced because of hesitant shifting, it was perfect afterward.

This Colnago looks sorta like a C50, but I can't see a model name and have no memory of which paint scheme went with which model.
I recently got my first Colnago in carbon for the same 1k that greg paid, and it is a well-behaved bike. I had to search to find a good used longer stem with that new 35mm clamping diameter, but did finally get one off of Ebay for a decent price. I just hope that having a 34-32t low gear doesn't spoil me for riding my older bikes!!!

Mine had been crashed, but it's not this one. Did somebody say that they needed a left crankarm?

Reply to topic    

walter

8/30/17 9:57 AM

fwiw...the crashed pic is a C40

as indicated at the top end of the seat-tube remains. the rear triangle remains indicate it's a mk3 variant.

greglepore

8/30/17 8:17 PM

It looks much better now with silver braided jagwire. It'll have a stripped quarq shortly as well.

The real news is that I stole a set of Lightweights. The rear needs a simple repair, the front is perfect. Poser wheels for me, but they will certainly complete dressing out this bike.

7800 staying for now, but I gotta say that I swapped the DA fd for a Record 11spd, and the front shifting is worlds easier. Single swipe now rather than 2.

Every freaking cable ferrule was stuck, even the ones in the shifters. Lots of time with a drill, no fun.

I have a set of record 10 shifters and a rd ready to go when I'm ready, but the darn 7800 stuff shifts so well. Modern Shimano stuff eats cables, this is flawless.

Sparky

8/30/17 9:49 PM

7800 doesn't eat cables. It is the the later groupos... especially eary under bartape shifter cable varieties mostly.

dddd

8/31/17 12:09 AM

I see a lot of premature cable failures, mostly with the newer shifters that force the cable across a guide with a sharp bending radius.

The cable failure is mostly preventable though. The usual cause is riders or mechanics making their lo-limit (rear) and hi-limit (front) adjustments so tight as to over-tension the cable with each shift to the largest cog or chainring. And with many frames that somewhat cycle the cable tension with each rotation of the cranks, a tight limit screw literally cycles the cable to fatigue failure in just a fraction of the time/mileage that a proper service interval should yield with proper adjustments.

I always adjust the limit screws after the cable tension adjustment is finalized, making sure that each derailer has at least some tiny bit of motion left to accommodate cable travel beyond each shifter's largest cog/chainring index position.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me though that shops and even riders prefer to set their limit screws on the tight side, to play it safe with chain control around expensive components, but it's damaging to the cables and makes shifting to largest sprockets harder, which quickly gets the rider out of the habit of shifting with a lighter touch that's likely easier on the shifters and cables.
And I see a lot of cable adjustments made not just for stretch compensation, but for wheel swaps and such, where no subsequent examination of the limit screw's interference was made.

So the life of the wires (as well as the service interval of routine cable adjustments) is imperiled by haphazard/uninformed application of limit screw adjustment, or by failure to make such adjustments after cable tension has been changed.

Shimano has apparently noted the problem with shift cable failures and has added solid travel limits inside of both shifters on their most recent higher-end road shifters. This acknowledges the difficulty of educating oftentimes self-taught riders and mechanics to use reasoned care whenever they are adjusting cables and derailers.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

8/31/17 2:56 AM

Lightweights

greglepore, I'm guessing you snagged the Lightweights from Weightweenies? I'd like to see how your repair turned out.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/31/17 8:03 AM

'Nago with Lightweights

You be one stylin' dude, Greg.

I ran into a fairly large guy in Mallorca with Lightweights and he told me they really helped him in the hills. So there.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

8/31/17 8:18 AM

Yes, the weightweenies pair. Figured the rear was free as the front was worth more than the ask, plus he threw in a set of tires. Great guy.

Looks to be a simple repair as the wheel isn't detensioned and the spoke is intact. Will post photos of the repair.

Bob-yeah, I know that 7800 is easy on cables. Its really the last generations with the sharp bend radius. I know several folks that have had the cables fail and the head drop into the guts of the shifter, ruining it or at least causing a lengthy repair.

Sparky

8/31/17 9:47 AM

After messing with customers 6700 STIs when i worked at the LBS... I decided to use the 6600s with the 6700 kit. 6703 actually on the disc roubaix. Shifter incredibly. I did want the cables under the tape, but they shifted poorly for the most part too. Returns with complaints galore, and broken cabled ducked to fix if you could.

dddd

8/31/17 11:22 AM

Things seem to actually be a little better now with 11s, though still quite intolerant of any cable path issues in the slightest.
Where 10s often had problems was with the largest 11-28t cassette, with the B-tension screw thus jacked nearly all the way in so the top pulley tracked with quite a large gap across the most-concave region of the cassette about 4-5th cog in. Lazy shifting resulted with no tolerance for any brand-X chains and cassettes, often enough forced me to reverse the customer's top/bottom pullies to eliminate top-pulley float.
11s derailers don't use perceptively floating pullies at all and the increased cable travel ratio seems to handle all of the recommended cassette ranges ok.
Hard to believe these 11s chains can handle mtb abuse, even mtb Ebike abuse!
Looking forward to seeing those crazy-extraspensive Lightweights(!). they were the show-bike wheelset du prefere during my Interbike days.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/31/17 11:42 AM

Agree, i have a 5800 setup and it is remarkable frankly. The two other 11s are di2, thus not applicable. We mention 7800/butter feel. The 5800 seems as close if not closer perhaps to any 10 spped ultegra i have run. But dont use it enogh to have shifting degradation experience or am i likey too.

I have some low use unscathed 7800 STIs if someone wants to barter for them. I dislike swinging the lever for upshifting anymore. Di2 and the micro shifts have swayed me away from this actuation.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -