Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Sports Gold update

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/25/17 3:31 PM

Sports Gold update

All set for the TDF.

Using my old Galaxy S4 as a media app server and casting to the TV via chromecast. Using also for HBO Now and Netflix as well.

Net connection is unlimited tether via T-Mobile for 25.00 per month. 31mbps while streaming tour de swiss replay and casting it.

Rock and Roll baby. :)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sanrensho

6/25/17 3:48 PM

Practically speaking, how well does casting from a phone work? Any issues with connectivity/lagginess/resolution, etc.?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/25/17 4:01 PM

No so far, but once the live stream is going on for the TDF stages we will see. But really we have the usual MC to Helicopter and resend to the Booth and all those prorogation signal issues being the real bottle necks probably.

But I will update the thread with more use. It even worked well in SD before I upped to the unlimited 4G-LTE after the 3G throttle back @ 10GB tether use for the billing period. [previous tether plan]

So actually the 25.00 is only 20 more than the 5.00 I was paying for the 10GB 4G Tether.

Netflix in SD even throttled back worked with no buffering pauses @ 3G. And that was from the PC connected to the tether. I am locked at 4G LTE as of an hour ago now.

It would be nice if I could cast from the device running the app. But some limits using the cast and what wifi are connected to what that limited it.

For a while I was able to DL to the phone [not using the tether data] Netflix stuff and then cast to the chromecast from the same phone running the hot spot for the chromecast connection and the Netflix app. But when chromecast last updated that stopped working.

But with the unlimited tether now that is moot.

sanrensho

6/25/17 5:10 PM

Thanks, I'll have to look into getting a stick.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/25/17 7:14 PM

Watching 2017 Roubaix from the library of the previous year offerings.

No shortage of disc bikes... And some pretty fat tires as well...

Rickk

6/26/17 5:31 PM

Practically speaking, how well does casting frm a phone work

Works awesome! At least with my Chromecast/ISP.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/26/17 5:47 PM

It works excellently so far. And with no Simm in the Media Server [my Old S4 Galaxy] the battery lasts all day and then some before I plug it in.

I just grab the S4 like a remote to do stuff. My previous Media Server, the Yoga I3 Laptop with the cracked screen may see no use now. Less clumsy to use the touch screen Android than the Wireless keyboard to load stuff like I did on the Yoga. Although it is still hooked up as a Plex Server.

Sparky

6/27/17 12:16 PM

Just watched the Mt Baldy Amgen stage, Anyone see that stage/finish??

henoch

6/27/17 1:21 PM

Mt Baldy, this year? yeah I saw it.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

6/27/17 2:39 PM

The TMobile offering sounds great. That's some serious data. It appears the only reason to go with ATT/Verizon is to buy a phone on a monthly plan, and even they offer BYODevice plan discounts.

Same for the Gold package.

This might be the wrong place to bring up broadcast TV and basic cable, but a quick search of NBC shows two hits for Tour de France over the next two weeks: the weekend of July 8/9 live TDF stage 8,9.

NBCSN has 41 hits for 'Tour de France' over the next two weeks, starting with July 1 6:00 AM previews and a 9:00 Stage 1 broadcast.

But NO Mt. Baldy, nada. Chalk one up for Gold.

Sparky

6/27/17 4:34 PM

"It appears the only reason to go with ATT/Verizon is to buy a phone on a monthly plan"

T-Mobile does that too, FYI. Monthly payments on the phone, no interest just like ATT. But you are locked in until you zero the balance on the device. And you are paying high prices as with the other carriers for current devices.

My kid got a Google Pixel XL [$769.99!, kids...] off Google directly and connected it to our T-Mobile. With that 3rd phone and unlimited hot spot @ LTE it is a dollar more per month than our 2 on the ATT with 20GB total limit, hot spot and phone data. T-Mobile Hot Spot and phone data are separate. No limit on phone and was 10GB hot spot. [Wife's still is 10MB hot spot unlimited phone data]

Now that I upped to unlimited for Streaming on my hot spot as well, we are paying 20.00 more per month than ATT. There is no comparison cost per value to the ATT we had for 5 years. Not to mention the MBPS is higher by a lot and always higher by a lot [even 'busy' times]

But there are deals that are pretty good, one free current phone with full price on the 1st one with a multi phone service. Or a Tablet included etc. But watch these carriers on the tablets, they like to charge 15.00 per mo connectivity fee or more additionally for the tablet. Which is why they are willing to give it to you I guess. ;)

henoch

6/27/17 9:30 PM

But NO Mt. Baldy, nada. Chalk one up for Gold.

Tour of Cali was broadcast on NBCSN I had it on my DVR, but now that it's passed and the Tour is coming up, I can see why it isn't on the broadcast channel anymore

Reply to topic    

Tom Price

6/28/17 6:25 AM

It appears all the NBCsn online cycling content is only available on the $Gold$ site.

henoch

6/28/17 8:35 AM

For those that do have Cable/Satellite, if you have a Roku or Apple TV or other such device you can download the NBC sports app and log in with your cable account and it has a bit of cycling content, some highlights and such.
Though nothing like the gold app.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/2/17 9:45 AM

OK, someone educate me please.

I turn on the app, hit stage 2. It comes up with the winner after he crosses the line with his team mates congratulating.

Great... How does this work as far as a 'live' thing becoming a replay so I don't start this was, or getting up at 5:00 am to watch a stage...

....And now the servers are in limbo...

henoch

7/2/17 5:15 PM

Ahh the beauty of a DVR, sometimes the old technology wins.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/2/17 8:45 PM

Got a TB DVR, but just not connected to anyplace to get the TDF to it.

I am streaming/watching/casting Stage 2 as I type this...

Sparky

7/5/17 10:42 AM

Fubo has a feature I like.

You have the option of flagging stages [in the case of cycling] for 'DVR', then after the stage is done you click 'My DVR' in the app to replay and have the option of rewind/fast forwarding etc. Live there is no rewinding so if you catch the live stream 30 second after the finish, you see the stage 30 seconds after the finish period.

Kramer

7/6/17 5:38 AM

You can now stream Phil and Paul, if you want.....

Per an email this morning (not personally verified)

We hope you are enjoying the Tour de France on NBC Sports Gold.

Check out the updated live streaming options - Starting today through the end of Le Tour, you have two ways to watch live.

LIVE STREAM OPTIONS

Tour de France Stages 6 - 21:

Select AD-FREE for commercial-free World Feed Experience

Select NBCSN Feed for TV simulcast including Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/6/17 10:11 AM

Yeah, i got the email too.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -