Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Am I done with the road?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

6/26/17 5:04 AM

All paddling education helps

Paddling is one of those sports where knowledge and understanding of technique, skills and the risks involved are really important, but too few new paddlers ever bother to get any instruction. That's one of the reasons that paddlers die every year, typically in the spring when the air temps warm, but the water is still dangerously cold. Kudos for taking a smart first step, Dan.

If you're going to be paddling in Antarctica, I hope they're providing you with dry suits. If not - and you plan to continue paddling in ME - I strongly suggest that you invest in one and bring it with you. On the ME coast, you'll find it useful at least 7-8 months of the year.

Reply to topic    

April

6/26/17 12:44 PM

Close call yesterday

- Country road with wide shoulder.
- Option to go straight or turn right.
- I slowed down to read the street sigh to see if it's my turn.
- It wasn't. So I continued going straight

Suddenly saw the rear passenger side door of a car about 6" in front of my front wheel!

No time to brake. Missed the rear bumper by less than a foot as it sped pass in front of me. By this point, both my bike and the car was on the far left hand lane of that side street!

It was pretty obvious the car was making the right turn in front me. Then saw me going straight and made corrective action to avoid me by making the turn wide.

(Well, maybe not so obvious. The driver might have been intentionally making the wide turn in front of me but misjudged my speed. Had I not slowed down to read the street sign, I would have t-bone the car!)

From the body style of the car, it maybe a teenager driver.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

6/26/17 1:56 PM

Dry suits, etc.

Thanks Brian, the paddling group (Poseidon Expeditions Sea Kayak Club) provides all equipment, including "high quality Kokatat paddling suits." The kayaks are "Prijon Excursion EVO double sea kayaks."

It appears a pretty experienced charter company, arranged through an alumni organization, and they don't seem to be leaving much to chance - you need to provide a medical certification, travel insurance including $150k medical evacuation, and I had to sign something for the kayaking saying I have or will get sea kayaking experience and basic paddling skills. There will also be a Zodiac on duty with the kayaks. I also get to sleep out on the ice one night in a bivy sack which will be cool (so to speak).

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/27/17 5:10 AM

It sounds like a great adventure...

...and I imagine that the scenery will be spectacular! Definitely a "bucket list" experience.

I find it interesting that outfitters often put their clients in tandem kayaks. While they can be somewhat more stable than singles and there's less potential "cat herding" with a group of tandems, they're much harder to deal with in the event of a capsize. It also guarantees that the paddlers will have to wet exit, as it negates the ability of a skilled paddler to roll in the event of a capsize.

But hey, these guys are professionals, so I'm sure they have their reasons. I'll bet the guides will be in singles, though.

Reply to topic    

April

6/27/17 5:42 AM

For skilled paddlers traveling alone, you can call ahead and ask for a single. Be ready to offer up all qualifications & certification to justify your request.

How confident are you to roll a generic boat of unknown cockpit size that's not outfitted to your body? Are you prepared to test roll it in the freezing water at the beginning of your day?

Safety (of relatively inexperienced paddlers) aside, if you were the outfitter, would you prefer to carry x number of tandem boats or 2x as many singles?

I've kayak toured in Alaska. Yes, they do offer dry suits. So I imagine they offer that in Antarctica. Though to be fair, it's really quite unlikely to flip a double kayak.

Last edited by April on 6/27/17 7:51 AM; edited 1 time in total

April

6/27/17 5:56 AM

"also get to sleep out on the ice one night in a bivy sack which will be cool (so to speak)"

I'm assuming you'll be there in their summer. It'll be 24 hr daylight. It'll probably be reasonably warm.

dan emery

6/27/17 10:45 AM

Timing, scenery

Right April, the trip is in February, summer down there. I guess there will be plenty of light.

Brian, yes I expect the scenery to be pretty good, and I think the guides are in single kayaks. A pretty good slide show here:

http://ssp.orbridge.com/m/?album=65e8014bee3206dabc3c0948cd6f67d1149&back=0&info=1&sharpening=1

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/27/17 11:15 AM

The link...

...apparently works on IOS devices only, so I'm SOL. ;-)

UPDATE:
I did manage to get to their site and the trip looks pretty spectacular. However, with prices starting at $11K, it's way too rich for my blood. I guess I'll have to enjoy it vicariously, so make sure you have a fantastic time, OK?

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/27/17 11:39 AM

April

Doubles are certainly better logistically for the outfitter. I'm sure that if you asked, they'd be happy to tell you what kind of singles they supply, so you can determine if it's something that you would want to paddle and potentially even test paddle one if it's something that's available here.

FWIW, I've spent a lot of time paddling and doing skills training in cold water (40 degrees or less), including one particularly nasty session in 28 degree water with a 20 knot wind and air temps in the low 20's. I won't claim that rolling in those conditions was fun, but I know of what I speak. And yes, given the opportunity, I would want to determine the limits of what I could do with the boat, assuming that testing could be done under safe conditions.

Personally, I would rather be in control of my own boat, instead of being at the mercy of a paddling partner, in a boat that neither of us has likely paddled before. While the risk of capsize is minimal in either case (double or singel), there is always a risk of rolling or calving icebergs creating substantial wave activity and I'd feel much safer in a boat that I can maneuver in order to protect myself as much as possible.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/27/17 11:52 AM

better link

Yeah, it ain't cheap but I'm making up for a lifetime of not travelling and a case of VDD (Vacation Deficit Disorder).

Here is a link from my PC:

http://orbridge.com/grp_departures/overview/partner_cornell_astounding_antarctica_2018

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/27/17 12:13 PM

Your 'bucket' [as in bucket list] will be in perpetual overflow mode at the rate you are going.

I can't begin to express my admiration, not to mention envy. ;)

April

6/27/17 12:18 PM

Brian

Some outfitters will allow you to go on singles provided you request ahead of time and satisfy them with your skill set.

That's when BCU/ACA "stars" comes in handy. I've resisted getting them stars because I really have no other use for them. But I had noticed those stars got quite a lot more "respect" (than they deserve, I may say) in such situation.

I started kayaking way back, doing white water. It's customary to do a couple of rest rolls at the beginning of a paddle day, even in one's own boat. For one thing, if any outfitting materials got loose during the transport to the put in, the test roll clear that up right away! Much better than finding that out in the middle of a rapid. But in the spring, it's seriously cold to do that test roll! Many of us have hoods we never used except for that test roll!

Being a small body type, I have trouble rolling most kayaks without customized outfitting. And if the boat has a rudder, it doesn't have a solid footpeg to brace on, which add to the difficulty.

The outfitters are unlikely to take the group out except in ideal weather conditions. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

PLee

6/27/17 12:31 PM

Dan - You're going to love the trip. Don't worry about the kayaking - they'll only do it in calm, protected waters, and there's plenty of that around the Peninsula. The water will be about 30 degrees but I doubt anyone will flip a kayak.

In February, you'll see baby penguins!!!

Just one word of advice - you will want to be upwind, if possible, from the penguin colonies . . . . . Which won't be possible if you visit Port Lockroy (which every boat does). You'll see what I mean . . . I went in November - you will experience 3 more months of guano buildup . . .

And remember what I was told by one of our expedition leaders - "People come for the penguins, but they come back for the ice."

Reply to topic    

April

6/27/17 1:30 PM

Baby penguin?

Adult penguins are not that big to begin with. Baby penguins, how tall are they? Are you allowed to get close to them?

Sparky

6/27/17 1:56 PM

"Are you allowed to get close to them?"

Only with your tuxedo Tee shirt on. ;)

PLee

6/27/17 2:45 PM

You're not supposed to get closer than 6 feet from any of the wildlife. However, if you stay still and they come to you, it's fine. And they will.

The emperors are good sized, they can get up to 4 feet or so. The chinstraps, adelies, and gentoos are about two feet or so.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -