HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Calling Domane Experts

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

6/23/17 11:49 AM

Calling Domane Experts

I'm down to 1 bike sorta. I have a frame on a trainer and my old mtb I don't ride, and 1 ti bike I use for everything now. I'm considering a Domane and I'll only buy used, so I'm wondering what the group think is on the desirable models.

I want the one that has a tall headtube and a 60cm frame. I know the front "iso" is relatively recent so I think I prefer Iso on both ends, but I don't know what SL and SLR mean and I don't know if I should look for American made frames only or if the Asiam made are OK. I don't want aluminum.

What models are the most desirable now, Years, etc.

i've sold off everything else. Kinda liberating only riding 1 bike really.

I have disc and rim brake build kits so I'm flexible on that. Kinda prefer rim brakes but understand the disc ones take fatter tires. I'm in no hurry so I'm OK with waiting and looking for months.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

6/23/17 12:11 PM

I just put my 58 up for sale on Craigslist. I am going to wait out for a deal on a RaceShop limited 60CM frame.

IMO, Series 5 or greater only, the AL steer tube up front make the front end brutal, also IMO.

Realize that a 60 Domane headtube [non RSL] is Effectively 1CM taller due to BB drop and the stack relativity. I could not get the bars low enough on a non RSL 60. I actually have to slam the stem on the 58, so I have been trying the higher bars thing and not liking it. And it is not like I am talking 3" drop on what I seem to like anymore. [some 60 year old back shit]

Also, a slammed stem leave little room for Steerer flex and some compliance. [Front ISO fix?] I have come to accept I need spacers to get/let the steer tube move and it helps soften up the 1-1/2 lower race beefcake fork these have.

I did not have a problem with the short top tube BTW, my contact points and setback are on the money with a little longer stem, little longer reach bars, and mast cap with 2.5CM setback. My 60-61 bikes use zero [or near] offset posts. My longest TT the Scott is actually my shortest cockpit [by a little].

I find the front end on the Series 6 with the TUX [flexish bars] still stiff but forgiving. I find the rear ISO at my current fat ars weight moves a bit more than I like on hard hits. And also any bump spinning high RPM under power is a touch weird, but subsides grabbing a bigger gear.

Having said that, if you have some weight, the adjustable sliding ISO tuning thing on the seat tube on the new high end Domanes could be worth while. Especially if you find the above mentioned bob factor a non starter potentially.

BTW, my caliper brake version fits a 32 front and 30 back tires. I'd think deep about a disc version, the Roubaix disc bike lasted 6 months here. Noting the replacement Domane is caliper brakes as will be the RSL when that happens.

dfcas

6/23/17 12:21 PM

So which models and years are most desirable?

Do the disc versions use 135 spacing and caliper versions 130?

dan emery

6/23/17 12:41 PM

Like to help but

I only know the bike I have, the 58 RSL, which I love but is off your list. Since you're about my size, I wouldn't rule out a 58. The 60 non RSL is pretty huge. I'd favor the front and rear suspension doohickeys if you can find a used one with both. I also really like the viper red paint! Have fun.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/23/17 12:45 PM

"So which models and years are most desirable?"

First, I don't think I am a Domane expert by any stretch. Just what I learned on getting this one. And what I recall from the 4 series I test rode in 2012. Which had a brutal front end and I ran away from frankly. But I sure made myself totally aware of the geometry differences, and choices. Having posted all that in the thread NE Dan started pre-hip busting... :O

To answer your question I guess it boils down to budget and druthers. Will you find a front ISO or rear adjustable ISO used yet easily? I am thinking probably not as they are too new. But they make room for deals on the previous versions from folks that upgraded perhaps. Thus my 2015 Series 6 Project one frameset with a lot of extras for 800.00. I doubt before the SL and SLRs came out that deal was likely.

"Do the disc versions use 135 spacing and caliper versions 130?"

Without googling, I am going to say I am sure this is the case. Do you want thru axles with the disc also is a question I suppose. You will start a new wheels thing if so.

I will add that the 135mm spacing when I put the 10s Ultegra Triple on the Roubaix seem to really get along. Helped the chain line it seemed. It shifted absolutely perfect. No triple I have ever had came close.

Regarding my bobing comment, I find the flex engineered P6 Syntace post I put on the Madone adequate for dampening the back. It does not move quite as much as the Domane.

Sparky

6/23/17 12:49 PM

BTW, they were rolling out Series 5 Di2 leftovers at the Trek dealers here for 3500.00, 1k off. If I did not already have the two Di two groups I may have gone that way myself. I just did like the color personally either...

Google the Trek Superstore:

Series 6 with front ISO and rear Adjustable ISO with cabled Dura Ace 11S $5500.00

I looked close again, the 60 Endurance Geom has a 22CM head tube, and these have a CM more BB drop. So that equates to a 23CM head tube [Stack comparison]. Make sure you can have the bars low enough with that one. Exactly why I did a 58CM.

Kramer

6/23/17 1:06 PM

I'm hoping for a front Iso Boone

I hope Trek produces a front Iso-Speed Boone cross bike soon or make a f/r Iso gravel bike. I wish the Domane SLR disc had more tire clearance to clear fatter tires (35).

Katie Compton and the Telenet Fidea Lions team rode f/r Iso Boones last year so Trek most be close.

[/url] https://www.cxmagazine.com/katie-compton-trek-boone-2017-national-championships-thru-hydraulic-isospeed [url]

FWIW I ride a cross bike 90%+ on the road.[/url]

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/23/17 1:17 PM

Seeing Domane 5.2 C Ultegra Cabled for 2500.00 on clearance here, $1k off. But that is similar white to the one I saw for the $3500.00 Di2 one which also had better wheels on it.

Even the stem, and spacers are white on that one, pass for me. ;)

No idea what the C means. Size limited, but you could get lucky locally.

They also introduced an 'S' model, more budget oriented. No specific knowledge on these. Did see these when I tested the Di2 Series 5. Was not impressed at all. The white only on the one I test rode [in circles in the store to see if a 58 could work], color just was not for me...

dfcas

6/23/17 1:25 PM

I seem to remember the Boone has a somewhat high bottom bracket? I looked at trek and can't seem to find a geometry chart.

For a Domane I am only interested in a frameset as I have Campy stuff to put on it. At least Campy shifters and a frankenbike kit.

Sparky

6/23/17 1:40 PM

What is your budget limit for a frameset?

I got no idea what non Shimano cranks might fit the BB90. Also, some frames will use the direct fit brakes, which the reviews I've read speak poorly of braking performance.

Boones and Crockett's have 6.5CM BB drop and H1 stacks FWIW.

Endurance Domanes should be considered H3 stacks I'd say. RSL Domanes H1.

dfcas

6/23/17 6:24 PM

I have not thought about a budget limit as I don't know what it takes to get a recent model frameset.

6.5 cm BB drop is not enough if i can get 7.5 in a Domane. I really like low BB's so a Boone is not in my future.

Sparky

6/23/17 6:54 PM

The 58CM Domane in endurance GEOM is 7.8 drop actually.

The cheapest I have seen the 2016 SL for is 2300.00. But you are getting a new warranty when you get new. [and with new clearance $]

This search shows frame towards top results.
http://www.bikegallery.com/sitesearch.cfm?search=Domane+Frame&goSiteSearch.x=0&goSiteSearch.y=0

Looks like Series 6 start @ $2750, Series 5 @ 2350.00 Disc seem 60$70 more than caliper. These are non clearance prices. And you will need to buy the seat mast cap MSRP $130.00 IIRC. BB bearings @ LSB are 40.00 with the seals and center tube. I think the Series 6 come with both Di2 and cable bushings, the 5 cable only. At least last year when I was shopping...

As far as more current, SL is ISO fr/rear SLR has the slide adjustment on the seat tube for the rear ISO.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -