HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

TV set?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

6/19/17 3:26 PM

TV set?

My Mom wants a new TV to replace her 10+ year old boxy, non-HD TV. Being the older generation (older than even most of you guys!), this will probably be for the next 10 years.

This is for a small apartment. So probably 25" max. So picture quality probably can be taken for granted. What "new" functionalities are available these days that might actually be useful?

I'm particularly paying attention to what "future" functionalities that may be right around the corner and maybe available in some sets but not in others. Not going to pay a huge premium for fancy features she may never use. But if there're some feature that are useful and not too complicated to set up, Mom is actually quite brave in embracing new technology. Though since I'm her "1st line support", I don't want to sign up for weekly "support call" either.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

6/19/17 5:19 PM

Note that pretty much none of the modern HD LCD/LED/whatever screens have speakers, or have such lousy speakers as to be useless.

Thus budget in a sound bar/subwoofer unit to provide audio.

I use a vintage Bose CineMate unit, it's 2 speakers and a sub. The remote runs the TV, cable/whatever box as well as the audio. It was not cheap at $250 way back and Bose tends to be expensive, but it works and sounds fine. I don't think I'd buy Bose again due to their gear being overpriced for what they deliver, but the CineMate is a very simple and easy unit to use.

Lot's of soundbars out there, which are essentially linear speaker units that sit under and in front of the TV. If getting a small TV (will a 32" fit ?), also plan on space for the sound bar, or speakers, etc...

Reply to topic    

April

6/19/17 6:32 PM

Steve, I'm quite aware of the sound issue. There was a long running thread I started a few years back. :-)

Budget is not restricted. I have only one mother. She only turns 80 once.

That's said, I hope I don't need to spend a fortune to get a decent TV. I do want to get one that's somewhat "future-proof", knowing my Mom loathe the idea of getting another new one again.

daddy-o

6/20/17 6:52 PM

Live a little, get a 32", it will surely weigh less than the one she has now. Measure the height of her current screen, don't just go by 'diagonal.' The reason is 16:9 vs 4:3. A 27" in 4:3 is as tall as a 32" 16:9 so there's optical illusion to consider.

Don't go with all the doo-dad smart TV software. It's firmware and it can't keep up. Look for connections, multiple HDMI, component/composite (RGB/RWY,) multiple USB, analog and digital sound.

You might consider getting the smallest 1080p unit you can find. They look so much better than the 720p in a 32".

I know, you subordinated picture quality. Maybe take a tape measure to her place and see what fits. Frankly, I think she will be hypnotized by a PBS wildlife special on a small 1080p.

I also looked into recruiting a computer monitor for myself but it didn't really work like it seems it would. You can get a monitor, 1080p, they cost more and have fewer connections. One of their strengths and expenses is the number of resolutions they can conform to. But that's irrelevant to your need. This is a nice display resolution chart on Wikipedia.

Best Buy store brand gets high marks. She's going to be so happy, good job!

April

6/20/17 8:54 PM

Her current TV is 20", non-HD.

So between HD and LCD, any screen will look snazzy!

Part of the reason for not going crazy on size is the distance to the screen. It's a small apartment, and the way she lay it out, the TV is on the narrow part of the living room (that's how I lay MY apartment out also, BTW. I have a 21" and could use a 25" instead. But I don't want a 35" for example).

But I'll take your suggestion and see how small I can find a 1080 unit.

Sparky

6/20/17 9:50 PM

Just keep in mind the aspect ratios of new units are wide. So a 32" has a viewable height of 15". So if you are viewing 4.3 format media is will be like watching a 15" screen.

Brian Nystrom

6/21/17 5:00 AM

Actually, it's more like a 25" screen

They're measured diagonally, remember? A 15" (high) x 20" (wide) screen is 25" diagonal.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/21/17 10:26 AM

I measured the 32 Hitachi in the bedroom. Actual screen is 15.5" high x 31.25 diag. My comment stands.

April

6/21/17 10:56 AM

But the "traditional" screens are also measured diagonally too.

So at 15" height would translate to "screen size" of...?

Brian Nystrom

6/21/17 11:22 AM

The aspect ratio of a old-standard TVs is...

...4:3 (width:height). Therefore a 15" high, 4:3 screen is going to be 20" wide.

A right triangle that's 15" tall by 20" wide has a hypotenuse (diagonal) of 25" (this is especially easy to calculate, due to the "3, 4, 5 Rule" of right angles).

Consequently, a 4:3 (20" x 15") image displayed on any TV 15" tall is going to be the equivalent of a 25", old-standard TV image.

If Sparky wants to argue this, that's fine, but the math doesn't lie.

Applying the same formula to Sparky's assertion that it would be equivalent to watching a 15" diagonal TV means the image would be 9"x12", which is clearly wrong.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/21/17 11:26 AM

Bring a little tape measure with you to Best Buy. Screen size need is directly related to viewing proximity. IMO, a 32 is marginal when your eyes approach 9-10' away.

39" is a popular size and reasonable cost these days. We have two of these. The 32 I refer to was in the LR until the 39s came out due to fitting in our TV cab. previous 40s did not fit, 39s just do.

The second 39" was given to me and is the Computrainer screen. It has a flaw which does not show in the mode the PC uses it.

FWIW, the Best Buy house brand seems good, we have one.

Given the limited warranty these come with these days, I suggest you buy the service contract. We had a bad run using the service contract to replace a few in a row.
Visio and a Samsung, and I previously had revered Samsung up there with Panasonic and Hitachi, also always liked Toshiba.. But who knows anymore...

Sparky

6/21/17 11:46 AM

Not arguing, I measured the 32" Hitachi here. Lets assume I know how to use a tape measure. ;)

How you get "my assumption" out of having actually measured it is well beyond my understanding frankly.

Last edited by Sparky on 6/22/17 12:29 AM; edited 1 time in total

April

6/21/17 5:45 PM

Size controversy aside, what other feathers/functions worth looking into?

daddy-o

6/21/17 8:28 PM

No streaming, etc. because it will turn into a compatibility troubleshooting nightmare for you by 2020. Just think how fast technology is evolving and then layer on mergers and acquisitions. Firmware content access is a dead end and it only makes the menu system complicated.

Get as many HDMI and USB ports as you can. At least that way you can connect different devices to the unit, like your computer with HDMI or Chromecast with USB.

Does Mom have internet? If she doesn't then streaming is not even a consideration.
Does she have a DVD/BluRay player? You need HDMI
Does she have an old VCR? You need composite/component input (difficult to find.)

Budget $250, buy a Samsung, a beautiful bouquet and dinner after you set it up and show her how it works.

You will be able to find off-brands with more ports but on the electronics board level the components are almost guaranteed to have some circuits out of spec with the demand, i.e. one capacitor will overheat a few hundred times and the TV will stop working before you think it should.

She has heard of Samsung, when her friends come over that badge will mean as much as the picture. Sony, Panasonic, you see where I'm going with this.

daddy-o

6/21/17 8:51 PM

dp

April

6/21/17 10:05 PM

She does have internet. A wireless router which her iPad connects to. She watches Chinese mini series on the iPad.

I was thinking something along the line of somehow docking the iPad to the TV, say Bluetooth or over the wifi network. So she can watch Chinese programs on the TV...

Sparky

6/22/17 12:26 AM

So you will want the ability in the tv to be cast to, or get a chromecast device to cast to the tv. As mentioned above.

I am casting via chromecast/device for sports gold app for cycling. Just started this when i last posted in thread re:sports gold etc.

Casting hbo and netflix as well. Fwiw

henoch

6/22/17 12:45 PM

Apple TV

Get a non smart TV, and then a Apple TV, this way she can easily stream things from the iPad right to the TV, works seamlessly and easily.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/22/17 1:27 PM

Some friends use Apple TV, never heard any complaint what so ever.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -