HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Medical Reaction

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lrzipris

5/21/17 9:21 AM

Medical Reaction

In my late-60s, I just had my first bout of squamous cell carcinoma, and the experience has made me leery about riding because of the long exposure to the sun. I know: sunscreen, long sleeves, etc., but I'm curious: anyone else experience this kind of heightened timidity after a medical issue? I know I'm not quite as cavalier about riding in traffic after a bad accident several years ago--a similar reaction.

Reply to topic    

Pat Clancy

5/21/17 3:20 PM

Riding in the shade

Although I haven't had a medical issue yet, one of the reasons my road riding has dropped considerably has been my worry about sun exposure. I'm fortunate to have ready access to a number of rail trails that are well shaded. If I do go out on the road, it tends to be early or late, taking advantage of long shadows and weaker sunlight.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

5/21/17 3:32 PM

Yes.

And I believe it's normal to have such a reaction after an incident. It (the reaction) usually fades with passage of time.

Years ago, when cycling was all I did in my spare time, I can't imagine not cycling. So I push my fear back into the deep recess of the brain as fast as I can and got back on my bike.

Now, I can easily think of 4-5 things that are just as much fun: skiing, kayaking, hiking, traveling the world, or just reading. Giving up cycling would means more time to do other things. So rather than suppressing my fear, I rationalize cutting back on the time I spend on bike in favor of other "safer" activities.

And, because the reaction fades with time. After a bit of time off, the fun out weighs the bad memory. I now bike only half as much as I used to, and I'm a whole lot more choosy on where and when I ride. But strangely, each ride felt twice as much fun!

Last edited by April on 5/21/17 5:48 PM; edited 1 time in total

Jesus Saves

5/21/17 7:07 PM

the early bird may kill 2 birds with 1 stone to get the worm

Ride earlier will address both concerns - less sun and traffic.

Reply to topic    

April

5/21/17 7:53 PM

Riding early and late

As a driver, I found morning and evening light challenging. The sun is low and sometimes right in my eyes.

I wouldn't want to purposely be riding on the road at such a time.

( I have a small blinker permanently installed on my bike, just for situations like that: my insurance premium paid in onces rather than dollar. I've been told by drivers that's the only way they avoided driving right up my arse)

Brian Nystrom

5/22/17 5:34 AM

In a word, no.

When I broke my hip in a crash years ago, all I wanted to do was get back on the bike ASAP; it was my primary motivator for recovery. Once it was completely healed, I went back to riding (and ice climbing in the winter) just as I had before.

I meet a lot of people who are really paranoid about riding on the road. The way I see it, there's no point in going through life worrying about every possible bad outcome from doing things you enjoy. While I'm not cavalier at all about my safety, I don't obsess over it, either. I wear a helmet and bright colors, and ride far enough into the road that drivers can't ignore me. I use lights when visibility is an issue (in fog, snow or darkness). That formula has worked fine for nearly 45 years and I see no reason to change it.

I do take fewer risks on the mountain bike these days, as it's not worth getting banged up in order to push my rather meager skill limit. I laugh whenever I meet mountain bikers who are afraid to ride the road, as MTB riding is exponentially more dangerous, at least for me. I've been doing more dirt/gravel road riding lately and I enjoy it more than MTB riding.

I enjoy all of my riding and plan to continue to do so as long as I can keep the pedals turning. If something unfortunate were to happen on the bike, I can't think of a better way to go out (other than dying of old age).

Reply to topic    

dan emery

5/22/17 8:03 AM

My name is Dan, and....

Roy, I've been basically like Brian, but I haven't had to confront cancer issues in terms of riding. I would just get the best medical opinion I could in terms of risk (I'm guessing you have thought of this). May your condition be non-recurring.

In terms of musculoskeletal injuries, as is known I'm riding now with a recovering broken leg. Usually riding hard makes it feel better, but not always. Saturday I went up a short hill hard and it bothered the leg. Yesterday as I got into the ride my leg felt good and I honked up a few hills, better than I have since the accident. I thought "if I keep this up I may not be able to walk tomorrow." Then I thought "who cares"?

So far today it feels good.

Reply to topic    

April

5/22/17 8:37 AM

quote:
If something unfortunate were to happen on the bike, I can't think of a better way to go out (other than dying of old age).
it's not worth getting banged up in order to push my rather meager skill limit.

The other way to look at this is, is cycling the only thing enjoyable in life? If not, is the risk worth getting banged up (or getting cancer) when there're so many other ways to enjoy life?

In my younger days, cycling was by far the more enjoyable pass time than all other activities. The adrenaline, the endorphin, the scenery, the sense of discovery... It WAS totally worth potentially getting banged up! Plus, recovery from minor crashes was quick and painless. Yes, painless!

Now, cycling is only ONE of many activities I enjoy. So I weight the risk of each and choose depending on the day's condition. Also as I get older, 100% recovery is no longer taken for granted.

As many probably still remember, I broke my collar bone a couple years back. It put a big damper on my kayaking. So upon my recovery, I put all the lost time into kayaking rather than jumping back on the bike. I'm not giving up cycling. But if the risk of cycling is not able to kayak and play badminton, it's totally NOT worth it! (fortunately, the risk of cycling isn't that bad)

The result is I'm kayaking more, stay home to read more, and ride less (in the summer). Not because cycling risk is all that high. But the risk puts it on the lower spot in overall enjoyment compare to other activities.

With all that said, I ski. That has the highest risk of "getting banged up". But I enjoy it so much I don't feel like stopping or even dial it back, risk and all. With skiing, I feel the same way as I felt about cycling 20 years ago.
[/b]

April

5/22/17 8:53 AM

Worth "going out" on, but not worth getting banged

Seems every post I made shows up double

Last edited by April on 5/22/17 3:09 PM; edited 1 time in total

KerryIrons

5/22/17 3:06 PM

Back on the horse

After one of my broken bone incidents, my father-in-law just assumed that I wouldn't get back into the sport. Bad assumption. While cancer is not the same as a broken bone, I think the mentality of getting back in the saddle is the same. You take more precautions perhaps, but for me I can't imagine what would discourage my cycling or my skiing.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/22/17 3:44 PM

"While cancer is not the same as a broken bone, I think the mentality of getting back in the saddle is the same"

There is a major X factor I'd say as to be an unfair comparison on a few levels. The prospect of meeting your maker is a profoundly deep multiplier when compared even to multiple fractures.

I don't know if I ever shared my sis's stage four Hodgkin's Lymphoma recovery [still in remission].

But the cancer portions of the LA story in 'It is not about the bike' allowed for me to breach the huge gap to be able to be conversational with my sis about it. And I was the one making soups and what foods she could eat for the duration, so near her side pretty much.

It is such a deep personal thing for someone who may well die from their 'state' of UN-wellness. When you start at stage four as she did as far as the knowing, the time line to follow is greatly compressed.

Rickk

5/24/17 5:51 PM

I've had early stage melanoma removed 4 yrs ago, and yes, I'm definitely leery about riding 'exposed' in the sun now - contrary to before.

My cycling buddies regularly jest about my long sleeves/sun sleeves etc. on group rides.

I guess unless it hits one close to home, it's sometimes hard for ppl to fathom it could happen to them

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -