HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Weight wienie question

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
PLee

4/25/17 10:26 AM

Weight wienie question

Are road disc brake systems lighter than rim brake systems?

Reply to topic    

henoch

4/25/17 11:00 AM

They are in fact heavier.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/25/17 11:20 AM

No, but not crazy heavy on the high end either. I mean if you can get a 10-11lb Emonda, a 13lb Disc bike is doable with the right coin. And if you are not Clyde, or in fact especially light yourself, wheels can be light enough as to close the gaps in weight considerably IMO.

But especially with the road disc frames taking on thru axle designs leaning heavier...

And the stays in the frame need to be more stout for the forces of hub brake, thus frames tend to be beefier as it should be.

More material for the caliper mounts, usually in the form of longer aluminum dropout parts etc. Post mounts save on adapters weight at the calipers, extra weight in the form of bolts and adapters eliminated.

Hubs weigh more, disc weight, low spoke wheel not practical generally, thus more spokes weigh more, etc. King ISO hubs are pretty competitive in the weight dept, as are other high end big bucks stuff.

Super light carbon rim with no added brake track material needed, and that is rotational as well some respite?

But with carbon frames being so light at the higher end, and the parts getting lighter and lighter, a smaller gap for overall weight toward the high end. With King figure hub set weight 1/4 or more heavier than non disc example. Shimano hub weight gaps bigger I think.

Example Shimano: Calipers are 98g, finned IceTech brake pads are 20g and a 160mm Centerlock rotor is 116g.

I'd say on the STI, approx 100 grams more at the high end??

The Spyre carbon cable actuated are under 300gr VS 6800 Calipers in the 330gr.

Non hydr lighter STIs with the cable actuated and the math there is evident. Those work great too IMO.

I digress...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

4/25/17 11:29 AM

A question might be will the stronger needed frame loose what a high end lively carbon frame feels like. And is that something you'd be OK with if it is the case.

My experience was with the FACT 8R lower Spesh Carbon offering.

FWIW: The steel Strong with steel fork only weighs 3/4 more than the Roubaix Disc bike with same wheels and XT/bar cons VS 7800 STI/Group on the Roubaix. The Roubiax had NO liveliness to it at all to me. I guess bikes like the HMX Addict have spoiled me to that feel.

Does a Fact 11R Roubaix disc have a more lively feel, dunno. Probably not being that level is S-Works. But assumptions on my part.

With all this Domane talk here of late in the search for getting less beat up on the bike for old farts et al.

More digression, sorry...

dddd

4/26/17 7:43 PM

An older friend of mine recently bought a top-of-line 2016 Pinarello disc road bike for pretty huge money, and was quite disappointed by how much it weighed.
I think he said it came out to 17lbs with pedals in his smaller frame size, all D-A 9000 and some kind of carbon disc wheels.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/26/17 8:29 PM

My 2008 61CM Addict with carbon wheels 7800 Dura Ace and keywin pedals was 13.8 lb. And that was with Aluminum Ritchey Comp Bars and the Flightdeck stuff, 1/4 lb to be had there...

Kramer

4/27/17 9:42 AM

Italian Boat Anchors

Aren't Pinarello's known to be rather heavy? There is a lot of chatter about Team Sky's bikes weighing more than other team's bikes by considerable margins.

Some blame the secret motors.....Ha!

Reply to topic    

greglepore

4/27/17 10:54 AM

Big carbon wheels are boat anchors as are Pin's.

Brian Nystrom

4/27/17 11:29 AM

Yeah, Pinarellos are heavy...

...they're known for it. They don't make any real effort to get below the UCI minimum weight.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -