CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Domane Tire Clearance better than I thought.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/13/17 2:19 PM

Domane Tire Clearance better than I thought.

23-28mm GP4000Sii tires run big. On my 25mm wide Pacenti Disc rims the 28 rest out to 31.8. Pic here is A23 Velocity rims, few mm more narrow than Pacenti SL25s. Fresh inflation in the pic after being off rims since Crater Lake ride 9/2016

I expect them to swell to maybe 31mm.

But plenty room in the Doamne Fork for them. Back looks good for the rear as well, albeit a bit closer to the caliper. [by measurement].

Comfort direction potential I did not expect from the research on the Endurance Geom Domane. I understand the Race Shop Limited like Dan's have more clearance than the base ones. Maybe this being a Project One Series 6 has something to do with this generous clearance. I understand the disc Domanes have even more clearance.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

4/13/17 2:51 PM

Just did a non pot hole dodging jaunt in the Sub-div.

75 lb front, 85 back in a Michelin 25mm SC Pro 4, which is 28.3 on an A23 rim. My winter tires, they repel shards of stone pretty good at the expense of rolling like stones compared to GP4Ks.

I am impressed it sucks/soaks up so much while stiff feeling like a go fast bike.

Hurry up nice 60^+ weekend after rain all week...

Sparky

4/14/17 10:02 AM

GP4k/28 grew to 30.8mm when I measured this morning.

Popped a quick 15 mile ride before the rain gets here. I think I am going to like this bronco. Kinda the best of both rides, you sit and it mutes nicely. You lift your weight or stand and the BB90 comes across. Best part of both the Madone and Domane current iterations IMO, solid BB like nothing I have ridden before.

Not to mention the cable routing as compared to the Roubaix SL4 seems far better in implementation IMO.
So BB90 and cable routing better than Spesh, at least the SL4 I had.

dfcas

4/14/17 1:56 PM

Are those short reach or medium reach brakes?

Sparky

4/14/17 2:59 PM

Standard reach 7800 10s Dura Ace calipers.

39-49mm reach according to some googling. I guess that should be considered short reach?

Pads not quite all the way down in the front, but near all the way. The rear are sitting higher about 4-5mm maybe, I could measure...

Looking at the rear makes me question if the fat tire that is on the front wouldn't be a lot closer. But with the ISO seat tube the bigger tire in the back perhaps overkill anyway.

dfcas

4/15/17 4:22 PM

Sparky- What do you think about the strategy of getting a disc version to get more tire clearance, as I assume the front ISO would soften the overbuilt disc fork..Are they spaced 135 in the rear?

Sparky

4/15/17 5:13 PM

Yeah, I understand the disc version takes a 32. I think +tire size needs are mostly a case of rider girth.

As far as what I think, I went more to the dark side after the disc Roubaix. My thinking was more versatility in fitting a 40mm+ tire, or even a 650b 2.1 like my Strong fits.

And using off road more as an option where having rocks bang off powder coated steel instead of a carbon DT also seem to make sense. This instead of discs on a bike that the design limits it to pavement for the most part. For me anyway, at my clyde-ollyness, for any non paved road use I want 37-42 tire. Else I gotta run high enough pressures to compromise ride and traction. My thoughts anyway.

I am also not convinced thru axle is something I feel is required or desired. Or want forced on me. My XT and XTR 9/10mm QR wheels don't budge. And never had same budge on 26ers or 29er over a long period.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -