CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Steel disk fork for flat mount calipers?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

3/1/17 4:22 AM

Steel disk fork for flat mount calipers?

Anyone know if such a thing is available as an off-the-shelf item? The Soma straight blade CrMo cyclocross fork is almost exactly what I want in term of axle to crown height and offset and width between the blades, but it uses post mounts. I had a look at the Surly forks as well, but they're the same in that they all use post mounts.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/1/17 7:38 AM

700C and 400mm axle to crown CX type??

Not steel, but Nashbar carbon CX seems like it is a Winbond. Have one for years and happy with it. 391mm Axle/crown. Fits a 42C Conti Speed ride with some room, but not too much extra...

Last edited by Sparky on 3/1/17 1:10 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

3/1/17 12:42 PM

Have you contacted Soma?

They do custom work and perhaps they'll be able to build what you want.

Reply to topic    

dddd

3/1/17 12:46 PM

Since you seem likely to be using cable-operated calipers, wouldn't this be a good time to consider updating to a newer, better front caliper?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/1/17 1:21 PM

"newer, better front caliper?"

I have to agree, the TRP design that moves the inner and outer pad actuators [pistons?] equally IMO have much improved action and performance.

Then there is the TRP HY/RD Hybrid Cable actuated hydro with the little mineral spirits slave cylinder on it. I have one on the front of the Strong Monster Green Machine and could not be happier.

When I had got the Disc Roubaix with BB7s the upgrade from Road BB7s to the TRP/SC Carbons was better on all fronts [and rears ;)]

As much as I like my Avid Juicy on thr 29er and the Hybrid front on the Strong, I would go back to the TRP/SC cable brake with no trepidation on a Road/CX setup.

Nick Payne

3/1/17 2:28 PM

quote:
Since you seem likely to be using cable-operated calipers

No, the calipers I'm using are reasonably new SRAM Force hydraulic flat mount. I just want to swap out the existing carbon fork for a steel one so that I can fit a front rack for some touring.

The frame is a Kinesis Tripster ATR V2, and I'm presently running 48mm 650b tyres in it, so any fork I get needs about 60mm between the blades to accomodate the tyre. The existing fork is 45mm rake and 398mm crown height.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/1/17 2:50 PM

Don't rule out looking for a 26er disc fork. Also, the right 26er canti fork with a flat mount added then powder coated and the canti mounts used for the front rack mount also viable IMO.

90s steel 26er fork may be more likely to have the 390-400mm A/C you are looking for. What constituted suspension corrected was a lower A/C when the shock/forks were 80mm. So a nice Trek butted Chro-Mo [or other higher end] steel 26er may be the ticket for modding.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -