Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cheap Laptop for training, help needed
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
henoch

12/27/16 7:38 AM

I might try the Boi Taull route.

Just as an FYI The 2 routs that I tried yesterday were Campolongo-Pordoi-Sella-Gardena (the first 10 minutes or so), which was very choppy then I rode Gordans Bay, which also seemed to have a very high resolution (by that I mean that I felt like I was watching a HD program, perhaps the best picture quality that I have seen so far on VT) and the choppiness was still there but much less.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

12/30/16 2:34 PM

Henoch: Since having issues with the Crater Lake route, I've streamed the Icmeler and Solda premium routes without problems.

So three out of four premium routes streamed without issue. The VT customer support person seemed surprised that I had issues with the Crater Lake route, said it was running smoothly on their end.

Reply to topic    

henoch

12/31/16 7:17 AM

Hey Sanrensho, for some reason it doesn't let me stream the premium routs, but I did try another route yesterday that I hadn't tried before, still a bit of choppiness, though in all honesty I wasn't paying that much attention to the video as I was also watching the Giro.
Based on what you are saying, I am pretty sure that the issues that I am having is based on the fact that I am using a 5 year old low end laptop.
The good thing is that only the video is choppy but the actual program/riding isn't affected

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

1/1/17 4:15 AM

If your RAM is maxed out, then yes, I'd guess its your processor/GPU.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/2/17 1:03 PM

Just saw an I3 4GB 1TB drive 15.6" screen Lenova at best buy for 269.00. Smokes.

My kid just got an i7, things is crazy fast. We have I3s here. Older dual core relegated to Computrainer and HT media servers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-110-15isk-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i3-4gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5496140.p?skuId=5496140

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

henoch

1/3/17 8:28 AM

Thanks for the link, looks like a nice computer.
Looks like the price went up to $330 but still not bad.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/3/17 2:11 PM

Try looking on the slickdeals.com site.

Via this site I just got a Classic Series Fender Telecaster that has a $799.00 MSRP for 379.00 shipped. For this price I am going to part it out pretty much.

This i3 box for 179.00 if you can go the non laptop route seems a excellent buy.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9627044-hp-proliant-ml10-v2-tower-server-with-intel-core-i3-4150-3-5-ghz-dual-core-processor-8-gb-ddr3l-1600-ram-500gb-hdd-350w-psu-for-179-99-ac-free-shipping-newegg-com

Sparky

1/3/17 2:24 PM

Test your net bandwidth for steaming use before blaming the hardware:

https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Comcast for example has the pipe you are paying for pretty loaded with other lanes of traffic, or should I say gridlocked lanes of traffic?

henoch

1/5/17 8:16 AM

Thanks for the link
I rode a new course yesterday and had virtually zero chatter, so it might have something to do with how each course is built.

@sparky, in the case bandwith isn't the issue, because the courses are downloaded on to my computer not streamed.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/5/17 11:01 AM

If you are running W8-W10, consider running Spybot Anti Beacon

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -