HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

NE Snowstorm

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

12/30/16 8:07 AM

NE Snowstorm

How is everyone in the Northeast making out with the snow? We got about a foot of snow that is like wet cement, but it is sunny now. I was out at 6am with my chainsaw clearing fallen wood off the driveway. Lots of people lost power but not me knock on wood (so to speak).

Reply to topic    

DPotter

12/30/16 8:20 AM

My daughter up in North Yarmouth is without power (which means no heat or water either. She says Rt 9 is blocked with fallen trees as far as the eye can see from the North Road intersectiuon.

Luckily we are OK in Cape Eliz. So far. That crap was a bitch to shovel though.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/30/16 8:27 AM

Yikes

Duncan, as you may know I'm also in North Yarmouth. I live off North Road and the intersection with Rt. 9 is about 2.5 miles from my house, but I turn the other way to go into work.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/30/16 9:56 AM

I bought a snowblower this year so we won't have snow for decades.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Matthew Currie

12/30/16 10:37 AM

Only a few inches here in Western Vermont, an easy bit of shoveling and plowing except that there's glare ice under everything. But it should be enough to try some snowshoeing this afternoon. I haven't been able to cross country ski much, because when I get dizzy I fall over, so hoping new fangled snowshoes will keep me upright.

Reply to topic    

PLee

12/30/16 12:32 PM

Good skiing at Okemo. We got about 6 to 9 inches of fluff. Nice and partly cloudy today.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

12/30/16 1:33 PM

Nada

Not a flake here in lesser New Haven.

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

12/30/16 4:13 PM

New Hampshire report

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hTEyeQxagGA

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/30/16 4:44 PM

Cute, but...

...I'm not buyin' the accent at all.

There was nothing on the Cape this morning and only 3" or so in Nashua. It was pretty anticlimactic, really.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

12/30/16 8:07 PM

By the way the new fangled snowshoes (Tubbs with aluminum frames, vinyl webbing, and a fancy binding) worked very nicely. I've snowshoed for many decades, but my previous favorites, a big old set of mackerel shoes, don't work very well in close quarters, though you can run in them, and the old fashioned leather bindings could be tricky to adjust in the cold, especially if you have the kind of brain damage that makes your balance funny. Those new style ones are pretty neat.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/31/16 8:26 AM

snowshoe

I was out on snowshoes this am, the snow is good, but there are so many trees and branches down it's an obstacle course. Got to get out the chainsaw and clean up the back yard before even thinking about the woods. Good workout, though...

I use them dang newfangled shoes too. We sold aluminum shoes with neoprene decking when I worked at EMS in 1975....What the heck are "mackeral shoes"?

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

12/31/16 10:35 AM

Sorry, I misprintend and meant "pickerel," not "mackerel." Those are the long thing snowshoes with long tails that are very nice for fast moving in a straight line. Not very good in the woods, but you can run on open fields.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

12/31/16 1:32 PM

Pickerel

Well I hadn't heard of those either, but I know the type of shoe - I've seen them called "trail" shoes. I'm usually in the woods and the smaller the shoe the better.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/31/16 6:01 PM

Dan, those were probably Sherpa snowshoes

We used to sell them, too and I still have a pair of Featherweights. The shoes are still in good shape, but the bindings are pretty primitive. Last winter I bought a new pair of snowshoes and the difference in the bindings is huge. I guess the Sherpas will become "classic" wall hangers.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/2/17 10:57 AM

No good deed goes unpunished

Over the past two months or so I've spent quite a bit of time clearing the trails in the woods for snowshoeing and XC Skiing. Luqgging the chainsaw, lots of work, had them in pretty good shape. With the last dump of a foot of wet, heavy snow there are so many trees and branches down you can't even see where the trails are.

At least it was good exercise.....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/2/17 12:08 PM

We got hit with 7" over a short period yesterday. My kid delivering pizza 15 or so miles W/NW did not even have more than cloud cover. That 15 miles puts us exactly 15 mile closer to Mt. Hood. So I guess the mountain spewed all the way out to us, but not really much more west. ;)

It is gorgeous, heavy wet sticking to the tree/limbs etc.

Since 2011 I have not seen a snow plow on this fringe dead end street. Last night I heard the rumble, looked out and low and behold. Turned out it was a training mission and the mess these idiot left in front of my driveway of bolder chucks of wet now packed snow that would have frozen sucked. I had to borrow a snow shovel from my neighbor. I don't even remember how to use one...

JohnC

1/4/17 10:31 AM

Nothing here in Hartford (about 30 miles north of where Andy MS is). A bit of rain the last few days.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -