HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Coming Back Road Fear

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Ibis99

8/18/15 11:14 AM

Coming Back Road Fear

So it's been a long while since I've ridden and I have really missed it. So i have decided to return , but i am having an issue with riding on the road.

The bottom line is I'm frightened. The cars seem faster and the drivers more stupid than ever before.

Any advice on how to overcome the fear? I really want to feel confident with the ability to ride anywhere.

Thanks folks!

P.S. I'm happy to see you are al well and good!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

8/18/15 11:29 AM

Yea, and depending on how long your hiatus, the distracted driving / texting component makes for some valid concerns on your part IMO.

Group or club riding, a mirror, picking best times of the day, etc.. For example here I found Fridays especially dangerous. More 'get outta my way' demeanor perhaps due to folks fleeing for the weekend [or just preparing for] or something.

A 60+ lumen rear blinky to be sure.

Get some local crib sheets, folks riding regularly most likely use best routes for traffic.

Good luck, and enjoy...

Steve

8/18/15 12:17 PM

Just do it!

I too had a comeback of sorts this year, in that retuning to competitive racing. I took off 12 yrs. from road racing and the first couple of months were interesting. Add that on top of overcoming an injury (ACL/MCL), it has been an interesting ride.
The mirror comment that Sparky suggested is spot on. Many people make fun of me for it, but it has saved me a few times. Never mind, it is great for the neck as always turning around is bad for the vertebrae.
Group rides, especially seasoned riders is a good thing too. I agree that Fridays are bad days to ride, thus they are normally my rest day. i.e. beer.
It is an old saying, but you just have to get back on the horse.
You will not regret it. Many municipals have improved their cycling infrastructures, so it may be safer to ride in your area now.
Ride on!
..........__o
..........\<,
.......( )/ ( )

Sparky

8/18/15 12:33 PM

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/third-eye-mirror-on-lens-micro-mirror?gclid=CI2ru_egs8cCFQEcaQodNMINUQ

I some time think I may get hit while not looking in the mirror. But the eye and slight head rotation at tired mile 50 seem to ave me hold a line better than turning and looking over my shoulder. ;)

Been using the lens mounted 3rd eye type since Nate of early TTF days turned me on to them late 90s. We both had NJ consulting gigs and got lots of miles [him more than I] riding with beeper on board for a few seasons. ;)

I am still using M frames too. :) Have not tried different glasses as with contact lens, the mirror fit well and the heater lens on the M-Frame sit tight to my face. Even at 40+ MPH no lens issues on the road in a few decades.

What is your riding local Steve ?

Steve

8/18/15 12:39 PM

Riding local?

Do you mean, where do I live/ride? If so, Louisville KY. Nice town to ride, not too bad in terms of motorists being jerks. There are exceptions to the rule though.

sandiway

8/18/15 4:52 PM

quote:
But the eye and slight head rotation at tired mile 50 seem to ave me hold a line better than turning and looking over my shoulder. ;)

Why twist and contort your head? I look UNDER the shoulder to see back...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

sandiway

8/18/15 5:01 PM

quote:
I really want to feel confident with the ability to ride anywhere.

Don't know where you live, but having recently visited NJ, I've noticed the traffic is worse and drivers are so impatient (because the traffic is worse). And if the speeds are high and the car and trucks passing within mere inches, a simple brush or wobble can be a life-ender.

You have to find less-traveled routes with good visibility and hopefully with decent shoulders.

I rode in Manhattan recently on a weekday, jamming with traffic. Lots of people ride there but I don't think it's possible to feel "can ride anywhere" - it's simply unsafe and if you ride enough, chances are you're gonna get hit sooner/later. For me, it was just for the thrill of it. And I figure the traffic speed is low enough due to congestion that a brush shouldn't be a big deal. (But my wife refused to high-five me until we walked back into the lobby of the hotel where we were staying.)

Reply to topic    

sandiway

8/18/15 5:06 PM

And even bike paths don't necessarily offer a safe haven from accidents. Though, the low speed of collisions should mean a non-life-threatening situation.

I recently rode the Cape Cod bike trail (44 miles roundtrip) with a friend. That friend returned to ride it again a few weeks after he rode it with me - and broke a collarbone in a head-on collision with another oncoming cyclist. Go figure.

Reply to topic    

April

8/18/15 6:01 PM

Choose WHERE to ride

...and WHEN to ride

I think the key is find roads that has very little traffic. And if that means getting up and riding between 5:30 and 6:30, so be it.

Weekends tend to have less traffic than weekdays. Fewer trucks too. Just make sure you're nowhere near any mall. Strip malls are the worst.

If you can find a group to ride with, it would be a big help.

There're some roads that are simply unsafe to ride on. Perhaps your fear is well found.

dfcas

8/18/15 7:18 PM

I took a cycling course that is offered in most areas of the US. Even after 20 years of road riding, I found it helpful in that it let me know what motorists expect and helped my confidence. I strongly recommend it-I think its offered by the league of American Bicyclists..??

daddy-o

8/18/15 8:02 PM

Every morning I used to bomb down a steep dark hill. When I was able to see my max speed I was disappointed if I didn't break 50 mph. Eventually I realized potholes form overnight and I had elementary school kids at home.

I let a series of life events break my regular riding habit and didn't ride down hills very often. Finally I found one, a little bumpy, that led to the lake. It was nerve racking going so fast, thirty five.

You'll get past it. Lots of riders are using lights all day. Maybe that wards off the texting drivers. I haven't seen the statistics. Also, if you once liked slicing through turns for instance, try to make sure you get a good turn in every ride. If you liked going down hills fast, find one. If you liked flipping people the bird, leave that in the past.

greglepore

8/19/15 6:38 AM

Stay out of NJ-seriously. Its bad everywhere, but the 'tude I get in Joisey is worse than just about anywhere. Must be a cultural thing.

SteveS

8/19/15 8:55 AM

Don't be a Gutter Bunny. Choose smart routes and times to ride. Ride with other (safe) riders.

Here is a nice article on interacting with motor traffic.

http://www.bikewalknc.org/2015/04/why-cyclists-ride-two-abreast/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

8/19/15 9:42 AM

what's a gutter bunny?

daddy-o

8/19/15 9:56 AM

Okay, I scanned the link. I'm comfortable riding near the white line and I think motorists appreciate it, but no statistics to support my thought.

When I see a rider in the middle of the road I think they are not confident and more likely to do something unexpected.

Gutter bunny sounds like someone who will dart out unexpectedly. My experience is more like "center line squirrel" and "white line warrior."

Sparky

8/19/15 10:52 AM

From link:
"Most roads feature marked travel lanes that are too narrow for drivers of motor vehicles to pass a cyclist safely within the same lane."

Too narrow to be sure, but it does not stop them from doing it most frequently, IME empirically. Especially problematic when there is no place to cycle to the right of the white line as is the case out in the hilly boonies here, as it was also in TN.

I find being subject to having my personal safety jeopardized a major issue. Too often on some roads I get passed on double yellow line roads into curves and at rises in the road where there is no way for a car/driver to see. They are gambling with my chips, and while not every driver, any is too many. And of course it seems these are the ones already pushing speed, and about 1/2 of them use the throttle liberally in these situations.

I used to take more lane to discourage this, but then I am the one going all in on the bet. The last stretch/mile to my house is about the worst case. It is a 45MPH straight undulating run between a county highway and an old also southbound road that go to 35MPH.

They race across the 1+ mile 45MPH to hop on the County 55 MPH at speeds usually exceeding 45. Worst is as soon as they turn on that county RD most go for the cut through, within the next mile it goes to 45MPH anyway. The 35MPH area they just cut through to avoid goes to 45 also. So it is not really any kind of shortcut in time.

Said stretch has passing and solid line non passing sections. But gets treated by a lot of drivers like it is all fair game to speed and pass the entire approx 1.25 mile to a sharp curve. So great for me to have to to hurry through the cool down zone that last 2 miles to home. ;)

A technique I've taken to is mirror, take more lane, then signal and pull into a driveway and track stand until they go by. The taking more lane usually gets a foot off the throttle, and then as they are deciding and still back a bit see the hand signal.
I wave as they go by and car appreciate not getting behind the slow moving vehicle.
But that is only most, still got the entitled car/driver and the "get out of my way" techniques behind the wheel. Luckily between the undulation and not reallt being exactly straight it is a bad texting run. ;) And with 3-4" of pave beyond the white line and then a 2-3' deep ditch, seems like that does not occur anyway...

I get more big gear pull off form stops for my exercising efforts and feel i am that much safer with the technique. There are times IMO when looking a little unpredictable and squirrely on you line is useful. Before they get too close, but I have had folks/other riders disagree with this technique. 'before they get too close' is the important aspect of it. I can hear the throttle lifts or tire RPM noise of the cars lesson.

mirror, mirror, mirror, good tool for us IMO. I do not ride without it...

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/19/15 6:09 PM

Pick your roads and timing wisely and get back on that horse.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -