Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Everesting!?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/17/15 6:16 PM

Everesting!?

A local dude took on the challenge and did it this weekend. He is pro cyclist skinny with veins showing on his thighs and face. No wonder he burned 10k kCals this Saturday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/370836350

http://www.everesting.cc

This is totally out of my league and more than a bit insane.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Tim123

8/18/15 4:35 AM

This guy (nutcase!) just did it 3 times over a 48hour period, nearly 30k metres!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/11802679/Cyclist-breaks-record-by-climbing-Everest-over-three-times-in-48-hours.html

Everesting is pretty popular around here, there have probably been around 15 successful attempts that I know of and numerous unsuccessful ones as well. The hard part now is finding a virgin hill.

There is about to be a group everesting attempt here, around 10 people I think, including one of the guys from Melbourne who I think started the whole Hells500 thing. (They recently did one on a city hire bike)
http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/group-everesting-22-august

Personally I have absolutely no interest in these sorts of things, but kudos anyway.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/18/15 5:02 AM

They don't have to be virgin climbs but you get extra credit if you do it on one. 16hrs on a bike. NOPE!

Tim123

8/18/15 5:28 AM

No - but everyone likes to be the first!
I know one guy who rode 20+ hours, started at 3 am and gave up in the early hours of the next day 2 laps short. You cant account for the sheer exhaustion and fatigue that sets in, descending in the dark dodging animals while nowhere near the top of your game, not great.

Reply to topic    

April

8/18/15 5:35 AM

Has cycling become so boring?

Or does our society become so competitive? That even our recreation has to "break a record "?

sandiway

8/18/15 7:47 AM

I don't think it's particularly difficult for a recreational cyclist. (I've passed that mark just doing Boston-Montreal-Boston.)

Just need a good hill with low traffic.

The quickest way to acquire the elevation gain would be with a bike on a sufficiently long treadmill.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/18/15 10:45 AM

> 16hrs on a bike. NOPE!

> I know one guy who rode 20+ hours

I remember all too well the last few miles of out yearly 180 miler. Some years it took 12 hours with all the flats and weather. But the worst 'last hours' was our fastest avg speed year. Tucker was high and you could not think about anything but getting off that bike... And we had a few hop off short rests for food/nature stops en-route.

dan emery

8/18/15 1:33 PM

16 hours on the bike

Well I get 14 hours to finish D2R2 Saturday (not that I will necessarily finish), but that only has about 54% of Everest climbing wise (15,900'). But most of it is on dirt of varying gnarliness, which should count for something.

I've done 12 hours a couple times, but that was on roads.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -