HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Extended Warranty suggestions.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/22/15 12:18 PM

Extended Warranty suggestions.

The NOX is about to go over the 36k factory coverage. The drive train is covered for 2 more years. But the A/C systems and power crap is out of coverage very soon.

Anyone have experience with after market coverage. GM used to have it, but sold it out to some other corporate interest. Dunno if that has effected it negatively...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

7/23/15 6:01 AM

Ask a mechanic.

I bought one with a carmax mercedes, and it paid for itsself. A couple of times mechanics were compelled to say how great the warranty issuer was to work with. It was carmax, the car is gone, no idea who the underwriter was.

The kicker (covered) repair was for the panoramic moon roof. At $5000 for a replacement, a part like that needs to be known by its full name.

Steve B.

7/23/15 7:48 PM

Typical advice I read is extended warranties are not worth it. "Most" cars will go well into the 100 thousand mile area before beginning to need expensive parts. That is dependent on manufacturer and I've no clue who makes a NOX, as BTW.

I opted to get a dealer extended warranty on a used Forester, as while it had low mileage (10,000) it was also about 7 mos from the end of its 3 year basic warranty. Even with a clean CarFax I was concerned enough and simply negotiated the hell out of the dealer till I got a good price on the extension. To me, it was worth the peace of mind. And it was a good deal overall, but I had done a lot of research to get to that point.

Question is, can you negotiate a deal on a extension after the initial sale ?, then it might be worth the peace of mind. Very vehicle dependent though.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

7/24/15 5:33 AM

If it is a GM product, get the warranty. My luck with GM products is the engines hold up, other stuff like transmissions, window lifts, fancy rear view mirrors, water pumps, yada yada yada, aren't so good. All of those items died on my Tahoe before the magic 100k mark.

Alenhoff

7/24/15 8:50 AM

Two ways to look at this:

The extended warranty sellers have access to far more repair data than we do. They know how likely it is that your specific model will need repairs, and what those repairs will cost. Then. they price the warranty to cover the likely repairs, their administrative and marketing expenses, and to create a nice profit for themselves. So, essentially they've done the number crunching. If they've done it reasonably well, most people will lose money on buying an extended warranty.

This is an extremely profitable business. One of the reasons dealers push it so hard is that they get fat commissions from the warranty sellers. That ought to be most folks' first clue to stay away.

(And the idea that you should buy one if you drive an unreliable model -- or an old one, or an expensive one -- is not necessarily good advice. You'll just be charged far more for the warranty, and the warranty seller will still likely come out on top.)

But this is insurance. And while most people will not find it beneficial, what if your car is one of a handful that needs an extremely expensive repair? If the thought of this keeps you up at night, then maybe it's worth it to you. But you'll pay a lot for that peace of mind, and won't likely come out on top.

Alan

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/24/15 9:13 AM

Or two expensive repairs in a row.

Tom Price

8/5/15 3:53 PM

Extended Warranty Update

Sparky,

Not sure if you did anything about a Warranty yet. I knew that GM is going through warranty changes but did not have the latest info.

The original GM plan (GMPP) was through Ally and is being switched to an independent company. The New GM affiliated plan is called GM Extended Protection Plan (GMEPP).

This Link will take you to a dealer offering the new program and is recommended on GM-Volt.com by Volt owners. Check it out and see if this will work for you. You may want to compare the pricing with local sources.

http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmepp.html

Sparky

8/5/15 5:02 PM

Thanks, this is exactly along the lines of what we are seeking. All I kept getting offered was Ally...

Tom Price

8/5/15 9:42 PM

Platinum and Silver Plans

Sparky,

I sold Chevys for 20 years before my recent retirement and was involved in a lot of warranty sales. If you purchase a warranty I would recommend the Platinum Plan for your best peace of mind. The Platinum level covers everything except the exclusions listed (mostly trim and maintenance items), see the list in the link that I posted earlier. The GM Program also covers failures from wear and tear. Most aftermarket programs do not cover worn items.

The Silver Program has a list of covered components. If your claim is for an item not on the list you are out of luck. A few of my sales were this type of program and I always explained what was covered and what was not but he customer was still upset when there claim was turned down for a non-listed item.

The GM programs are honored at any GM dealer and the dealer is paid directly through the normal GM system at retail labor and parts rates. Many of the aftermarket programs require that the dealer gives the warranty company a discount and wait quite awhile for reimbursement. This may make the dealer hesitant to make your repair a top priority.

These links also go over more details on the new GM approved program:

http://dealers.gmfinancial.com/resources/show-news.aspx?s=2013-11-gmf-marketing.html

http://www.autonews.com/article/20130508/FINANCE_AND_INSURANCE/130509896/#%20

If I can answer any questions, let me know.

Sparky

8/5/15 10:36 PM

Thanks, i am on it more so now. ;)

dddd

8/7/15 11:02 AM

For anyone who has liquid capital at their disposal (and is relatively easy on the equipment), I'd say it pays in the long run to insure oneself.

And just as the insurers might do, be sure to negotiate on price for expensive repairs.

I bought a 3-yr-old Audi around 1987 that, although very low on mileage, had a few assemblies go bad, with seemingly very high replacement costs.
I look back on how I drilled into the pressed-steel cable guide tubes of both front power window actuators to research and repair the cause of failure, and it actually went well. Both had failed at between 35-45k miles.
And then there was the power steering rack that began leaking. I would have to drain the leaked hydraulic fluid from the sealed bellows at regular intervals, taking a year before finding that factory-rebuilt units (at half the cost) had finally become available, hurray! It took me a full work-week of evenings to complete the install, so tight was the integration of the steering rack into the crowded firewall environment of that innovative car.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/8/15 7:42 PM

From Allen at the PA Caddy dealer...

GMPP as it is no longer owned or no longer recommended by GM….. Lost in bankruptcy to Ally Bank/Auto. GMPP Loses all licenses to GM in 2016 and becomes a 3rd party aftermarket…. That is why GM came out with their own new plan last year (shown below) ….. New online daily quoting system call with VIN # + odometer reading.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -