CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Google and bike Path grants Silicon Valley Model?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/27/15 12:22 PM

Google and bike Path grants Silicon Valley Model?

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Google-has-an-ambitious-plan-to-make-Silicon-6351347.php

This kind of sez a lot alone...

LIKE!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

6/28/15 9:42 PM

Speaking of Google, their self-driving cars that is, how do these vehicles handle the act of passing a cyclist?
Do they force the driver to take over?

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

6/29/15 5:36 AM

That's funny!

I really have to wonder where they got this data. I actually find typical multi-use bike paths/rail trails to be much more stressful than riding on the road due to all of the inattentive, self-absorbed idiots on them. I would guesstimate that per mile, I experience around 10 times as many incidents of concern on a bike path as on the open road. All I can figure is that they must have spoken with a lot of people who are simply afraid to ride on roads with motor vehicle traffic. In my experience, despite how crazy and stupid drivers can be, they can't hold a candle to the numbskulls I encounter on bike paths.

Reply to topic    

Tom Price

6/29/15 3:42 PM

Answer: A Google Car moves to the left when passing a bike.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150628/BLOG06/150629912/self-driving-cars-already-have-ethics?cciid=email-autonews-daily

Jesus Saves

6/29/15 7:48 PM

Red line = elevated heart rate, just so you know

What kind of climbing and descending gearing does Google suggest for traversing the High-Stress, great reward route?

Reply to topic    

Dave B

7/2/15 8:37 AM

quote:
In my experience, despite how crazy and stupid drivers can be, they can't hold a candle to the numbskulls I encounter on bike paths.

+1 My experience exactly. The only time I will willingly ride our local MUPs is on a cold, rainy day in November when everyone else stays home. That's the only time it's reasonably safe.

dan emery

7/2/15 9:12 AM

+2

I don't like bike paths either and I also dislike many bike lanes. Some bike lanes are so confusing that I can't tell what I'm supposed to do either as a cyclist or a driver, and I've been doing both for awhile.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/2/15 9:26 AM

MUT sanity is good here. Two issues being weekend slow polks and all the time that one idiot that thinks it is a good place to TT train and won't get off the TT bars when encountering slow polks.

But I ride them mostly as we have some good long ones and 20 mile out it is all yours as compared to close in where the mess seem to congregate.

daddy-o

7/2/15 3:29 PM

+3

" despite how crazy and stupid drivers can be, they can't hold a candle to the numbskulls"

Dogs, kids, squirrels what can we expect? But yeah, the ones with a sense of entitlement, give me a break! They look so normal but do the strangest things.

I swear, give me a 6" strip beside the white line, I promise I won't take my half in the middle.

April

7/3/15 4:48 AM

Can't agree

quote:
I really have to wonder where they got this data.

All I can figure is that they must have spoken with a lot of people who are simply afraid to ride on roads with motor vehicle traffic.

Where? Probably SF bay area, where bike trails actually goes almost the entire length of the pennisula!

"The people they've spoken" are probably those who use the MUT during the week rather than just equally self-obsorbed weekend worriors?

I use bike trail to commute to work for years. During commute hours, I don't see any "numbskull" on the bike trails. My only problem is there aren't enough trails for the growing number of riders, just as there aren't enough roads for cars.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -