HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

When you got Kids... [serving and resturants]

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

5/23/15 1:02 PM

When you got Kids... [serving and resturants]

In college and serving x 2. Although #1 has quit and with a little subsidy from Mom and Pop in the grad home stretch to focus on an honors roll GPA to finish up with.. Yada

But when #1 moved to Spokane it took a little legal threat to keep them from trying not to allow a transfer. Meh. water under... I must have worded the conversation to the manager correctly as the invite to have their attorney to call me before ours called them seemed to have been fruitful.

Now #2 is in 'the' situation. And another Restaurant our kids work at closed with no warning and left them high, In this case not so dry with 2 weeks severance..

Not running out of restaurants to boycott I can tell you...

The list of the douche closing the next day includes places than sound like SnapplePeas and Ol-luv-pardens, which we don't luv or patronize ever...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

5/23/15 4:29 PM

My kid is a chef. He got his degree last winter and walked the stage a few weeks ago. He LOVES it.

Just got bought out and he got a raise. No chains restaurants for him of course. http://www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com/slightlynorthofbroad/

Take your credit card!!!

Sparky

5/23/15 6:21 PM

#2 keeps talking about chef school. But hemming/hawing.

I remember yours bring a chef Erik...

Elaine has got 5 relatives and friends already on facebook pledging boycott allegiance. ;) The scorn of Mommies... ;)
Don't mess with their babies...

daddy-o

5/24/15 7:35 AM

Kinda cryptic. Is this the Sunday puzzle?

Sparky

5/24/15 10:47 AM

"cryptic"

you don't have chidruns, do ya? I can see how enigmatic the conversation would be with out this pleasure... The cryptic nature is perhaps that this points out the painful and not pleasure side of that equation?

daddy-o

5/24/15 1:24 PM

Yeah, no children here, 27 and 28 they are. I got the gist of your post, friggin chains.

I'm a 20+ tipper for average service, better-better, worse-worse, takes truly offensive behavior to drop under 15%. Stiffing and sending back, okay there was the time I went to Outback for a ribeye and it was obviously a sirloin. They grudgingly took it back and got an average Daddy-o tip. I wish I could remember the fancy name they gave to defend that "ribeye" that looked more like flank. But other than that, no stiffing, no sending back. One reason I like to order ribeye is because they look so distinctive. No vegan I.

Steve B.

5/24/15 3:12 PM

No children and I understood all of the post, finding the truncated writing style tiresome (sorry), but didn't get the 2nd paragraph at all as the reason for legal action of some point is not clear. The issue of "transferring" is not well explained is all.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/24/15 5:20 PM

"issue of "transferring""

Leaves Iowa and is told to go the the chains restaurant in Spokane. Goes and is told sorry go away we are not hiring you. Less truncated, and it is I that is sorry for the sporadic mind to finger conversions. ;)

Steve B.

5/24/15 8:01 PM

OK, understand better now, thx.

As well, I think there's a level of autonomy in chain stores of all types in terms of which local conglomerate owns the franchise. Thus rules stated one place might not be recognized 1500 miles west.

Odd thing about Snaplebees is I though I universally hate chain restaurents, the local version of that chain is my very favorite for a shrimp fajita, being about as well done as any Tex-Mex/Mexican version I've had. As well, they serve up a bunch of local ales, thus I will frequent against my better judgement. They are as well, very well managed, fast seating, food quick, energetic staff and an older manager that has lasted years and just hustles. OTOH, the same chain store across the street from my workplace is the absolute worst possible version that could be found and even though it's literally the only sit down restaurent for blocks, we NEVER go there and I've been in here once in maybe 10 years. They don't serve local ales.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

5/25/15 6:49 AM

@Steve B

I currently work for franchise lawyers, so...

Be aware that diifferent franchise systems have very different compliance programs. I recently reviewed a Franchise Agreement that was essentially completely hands-off. The franchisor in that case didn't have more than a cursory compliance program, and when issues arose and they were notified, usually took no action.

OTOH, I know that some (Subway, for instance) are a great deal more controlling. Subway will ding its franchisees for violation of the five-second rule (if you're not greeted within five seconds of coming in the door). You have to do things THEIR way.

It turns out there's a fine line, all the finer because if a franchisor exerts too much control over its franchisees, it can be found to be in a dual employer status--making it potentially liable in all sorts of fun circumstances. I believe that the NLRB recently decided McDonald's was a joint employer with its franchisees w/r/t labor.

The place you're talking about with local ales may have that as part of a standard franchise agreement, or may have negotiated it with the franchisor.

daddy-o

5/25/15 9:05 AM

Quiznos

The worst parent company to be a franchisee I've heard of is Quiznos. They control the supply chain, mandate quotas and print drastic coupon specials; all out of the hands of the franchisee. As for labor, I don't know.

Sparky

5/25/15 10:19 AM

Apparently one of my older chidrun's friend's uncles is a labor lawyer and has got the labor board involved. Apparently with more than 100 employees the law I'm told is that the 2 weeks severance pay my son was told he is getting is well below what is required for that area. State/County, I dunno specifics.

Yada...

Jesus Saves

5/26/15 7:45 AM

I thought from the thread title this was going to be a discussion about kid-friendly restaurants. That is, ones whereby the kids are patrons. This is pleasantly a more interesting topic...

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -