HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Citibike or fixie?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
April

3/12/15 7:07 PM

Citibike or fixie?

PLee and other New Yorkers who had used CitiBike, please help.

I've been working downtown near Battery Park, quite a long hike from the nearest subway. Now that it's warmer, I'm hoping I can remove that long hike by riding to work.

The building is right next to the bike path. However, there's no secure bike parking. So I'm not comfortable bringing my good bike down there. Not even my not-so-good old mtn bike.

Two options I'm contemplating: sign up for annual use of CitiBike, or buy a fixie (with a flip-flop hub to smooth the learning curve).

Cost-wise, the Citibike cost $150/year. I can get a fixie from bikedirect.com for double that.

The advantage of Citibike is I don't have to ride both ways. If it's wet in the morning (or I'm running late), I can take the subway or a cab. If the road dries up, I can still jump on a CitiBike after work, assuming bike availability is not an issue. Or the reverse.

There're several Citibike docking stations near my office, one right across from the building. But I have no idea if there will be sufficient bikes there at the hours I need them. The working hours are on the long side so I won't be able to jump on them bikes before others, if that prove to be an issue.

(in my previous office, one of my co-worker uses CitiBike, his reported a bit of problem finding bikes after work, but that's in midtown. Hence my concern about bike availability near my new office)

Buying a fixie of course removes that uncertainty. And I own the bike after the break even point 2 years later. Plus, there're part of Manhattan, notably northern portion, that has no CitiBike station at all. But it's a bit more restrictive in a different way: once I ride it downtown, I have to ride it back even if I don't feel like riding (e.g. staying late due to unfinished work, or weather changes).

So, who of you locals use CitiBike regularly? What would you do if you're in a similar situation?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Jesus Saves

3/13/15 7:26 AM

CitiBike - 100%. No brainer. However if you think otherwise, then I would buy a Brompton over a Fixie. Even after you factor in the savings of not purchasing $200 in New York City locks. No risk of theft, including having parts nicked like the saddle, seatpost, wheels, handlebar, crank. Yes, I've witnessed that. Or damage like having a cab or truck back into it while chained near the curb. No scwhebbing grease tatoos. No need for maintenance or taking up space in your apartment. The CitiBike stock is very abundant downtown on the Westside. No shortage of bikes along the pathway by Rector Pl, Little West Street, Stuy-High, South End Ave, West Thames.

Reply to topic    

PLee

3/13/15 7:36 AM

Citibike - with the caveat that it only makes sense if there are bikes available at your local rack when you need them after work. You can download the Citibike app. It's pretty good about telling you the availability of bikes. Then you can use it to see what the availability patterns are like in your area. Or just make a note of checking the bike stand whenever you leave work.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

3/13/15 7:54 AM

Can you bring your own bike into your office to avoid the theft/vandalism issue? Also, why a fixie, not a single speed or even a used geared bike.

I'm sure you could buy a used suitable bike from Craigslist for less than BikesDirect charges.

Sparky

3/13/15 10:57 AM

Theft has to be a big issue. Elaine and I were downtown SAT and a cable U lock combo was attached to a citi rack with one end of the of cable loop cut. I explained to Elaine how the user must have locked it [wrongly] for the entire bike to be gone and the lock to still be there in such fashion.

Saw an ad on Craigslist here of someone selling a fixed bike, well what was left. Fork, bars, front wheel, seat and post nicked. For sale was the frame cranks and rear wheel/tire.

I see 1/2 and 2/3 bikes on rack a lot. Never sure if the owner took the missing part with them or someone nicked them. Thieves only need a few tools unfortunately.

Are you not allowed to take bike on transit in NYC. You can here, trains and buses have provisions. Although I imagine at rush hour there may be issues of spots all being occupied.

Jesus Saves

3/13/15 11:52 AM

In addition to theft, do you really want to carry locks with you? Not I. I have a bulky Kryptonite New York City lock and its weight is measure in not in ounces, but pounds, multiple pounds.

I would look at it from the perspective of City Bike vs Mass transit. Even if I have to walk a few blocks more to another docking station (can happen, but not often in that area), it is still a shorter walk than to the subway from such downtown office location (Brookfield Place?). The mobile app will help with that as PLee mentioned earlier.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

3/13/15 12:06 PM

portable bike

How about a portable bike that fits in a backpack?
No theft problem. No "no bringing bikes into this building" problem.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

April

3/13/15 1:16 PM

quote:
Brookfield Place?

Exactly

OK, Citi Bike here I come. :D

PLee

3/13/15 4:21 PM

I worked in Brookfield Place (nee World Financial Center) for a couple of years. I didn't find the subway stations to be too far away. What I did find was the walk from the subway across the underground World Trade Center Concourse during rush hour was like salmon swimming upstream - against the flow of commuters to/from the NJ PATH station.

I have no idea what the circulation is like with the new construction. I haven't been down there in ages.

Reply to topic    

April

3/13/15 4:57 PM

Some more background

Some of the question I skipped because it's "self explanatory" for people who ride lot in NYC but I realize it isn't so for people who don't live here...

Geared bike is not a good candidate :

1) more bits to break and maintain (think potholes)
2) more attractive to thief (they sell it to commuters and Chinese food delivery guys, but there's no buyer in that market for fixie with only 1 brake)
3) Manhattan is quite flat

Bring it in the office:

The office building is so crammed we fight over space to hang our coat. Never mind bikes.

Crowded apartment:

Strangely enough, that's not an issue in my case. I have a two bike wall mount that still has one unused spot. (on top, but a SS will be light enough to occupy that spot)

Lock:

Very important for a geared bike, but not so much for a fixie/SS.

Hope this clear up why I only consider fixie.

But I'm seeing the benefit of CitiBike now. So I'll give that a go.

Last edited by April on 3/14/15 11:06 AM; edited 4 times in total

Jesus Saves

3/13/15 8:52 PM

The new underpass from WTC to Brookfield Place is quite nice. Pleasing to the eye and climate controlled. . I would intently walk that way to avoid the cattle heard on the east side of west street. Eventually I would use the foot bridge to cross West Street to head back to my office in lower Broadway. In all, the detour added only an extra 5 minutes to my walking commute and the heat/cold/rain shelter was an added bonus to not experiencing the cattle heard on Broadway, Chambers, etc.

By the way, there are four Citibike stations that are closer to BP than the subway. I know that area like the back of my hand. Having worked and lived nearby for many years. I miss the hour long lunch break power walks along the esplanade of battery park, battery park city and the west village.

Reply to topic    

April

3/13/15 9:43 PM

I didn't know the passage from Brookfield Place to WTC is already open.

Though that's not where I usually head.

Jesus Saves

3/14/15 2:18 PM

I'd say it's been open for about a year and quite discretely so. Entrance is behind/up the atrium steps surrounded by scaffolding (maybe no longer). Last time I passed through there was October of last year. Retail shops may have opened up by now in the underground passageway area.

Reply to topic    

Stanley83

3/19/15 6:41 AM

Citibike

When Citibike first arrived, my brother used it for the ride between his kids school and work. He loved it, but it became a victim of its own success and he could no longer find bikes when he needed them. He then switched back to his Strida, but its frame has since failed, so he's looking for another solution.

I would get a short-term membership to see if bikes are there when you need them. Availability varies greatly by neighborhood.

April

3/31/15 8:14 PM

Been watching the CitiBike rack across from the building the last few days...

It's been chilly and wet most days. So the rack always had some bikes.

But yesterday, it was in the 50's and sunny. The rack was EMPTY when I got out at 6pm! :-(

Today, it's raining and chilly. The rack was still half full when I left at 6.

This is not good news. If the rack is empty when it's only 50 degrees, what are my chances when it's 70 degrees???

PLee

4/1/15 7:13 AM

Download the Citibike app. It's pretty good about telling you whether there are bikes available. The only problem is that sometimes it shows one or two bikes available and they are either disabled or taken by the time you get there.

So many office commuters are using Citibike that the stands around office districts tend to empty out by 5:30.

Reply to topic    

April

4/19/15 8:59 PM

getting worse

They took out the station across from my office!

I look out Friday, when it was a bit wet but still rideable weather. Didn't see one bike. So I thought to myself that's bad news. Walk passed it on my way to the subway, that's when I realized even the racks were gone!

The online status of that station is "Not installed". Except it was already a working station till 2 days earlier!

I'm afraid I'm quite disillusioned. In about 2-3 weeks, I would really like to make use of a bike for commuting. I'm start to think a bit more seriously about having my own bike instead.

Seems to me the Citi Bike has become a victim of its own success. Demand seem to outstrip supply, especially from those who really want to use it, i.e. locals rather than tourist.

On a brighter note, went with my club for an away weekend to Great Barrington. 90 relatively flat miles in 2 days, easy pace. Perfect weather and great camaraderie makes for a fantastic start of season.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -