HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

On the Road Again

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

3/29/15 2:52 PM

On the Road Again

Pretty nice weather this weekend (OK, 30s F and windy, but the roads are clear enough for road tires and today was even sunny). Out for 2 good rides. Nice thing about transitioning from the Sweat Lodge, riding outdoors is so different it seems like a different sport. Any other denizens of snow country getting out on the road?

Reply to topic    

Dave B

3/29/15 6:20 PM

Yeah, I got out today. It was 38 when I left and 44 when I got back and sunny all day. Not too bad considering it was 15 this morning. We had a dusting of snow yesterday with a high of 29. I am soooooo ready for this winter weather to go away!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

3/29/15 6:24 PM

On the road...

...to a ski mountain! :o)

Today is closing day for one of the smaller mountain not far from me. They have a tradition of allowing the public to ski for free on their closing day. A bunch of us went over together to help celebrate the finish of a rather nice ski season for our neighboring region.

I like skiing slushy snow in t-shirts. Except today was actually quite cold. So I was fully covered up in normal winter attire: jacket, mitten, helmet & goggles. I even had to zip up my jacket all the way.

This starts my "closing circuit" which I do every spring: skiing as many closing days as I can.

Sparky

3/29/15 7:28 PM

Enjoy you all!!

KerryIrons

3/29/15 7:37 PM

Sleet

quote:
Any other denizens of snow country getting out on the road?

We had sleet this afternoon and it actually accumulated enough to see white in the grass. NOAA had a driving warning out for the west side of Michigan. I can say without shame that I did NOT go out for a ride.

This week is another story, and it looks like I'll be able to ride every day but Friday. Yea!

Reply to topic    

sandiway

3/29/15 8:56 PM

April, I hate spring slush.

I was at snowbird Utah a couple of weeks ago.
Lots of slush lower down. Hard stuff high up facing south.
Fortunately there was some powder left on the north facing mogul slopes.
Otherwise it would have been a waste of a 11 hour drive.,,

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/29/15 9:28 PM

"spring slush."

Exactly what I was plowing through when I busted my leg in 2006. East TN Slush.... With East coast ice carving shaped boards I would add.

Brian Nystrom

3/30/15 5:37 AM

My first fat bike ride was yesterday

I finished the bike on Friday and we went out and bounced around in the snow, slush and mud. The weather was nice, in the low 40's. Fat bikes are bizarre beasts and riding one in these conditions is a serious workout, which is just what I needed to get out of my winter exercise funk. Oddly, the toughest part was riding up a couple of hills on pavement, as big squishy knobbies make it feel like riding through wet cement. Once a few more potholes get filled, it'll be time to hit the road and I'll really appreciate a light bike with skinny rubber.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

3/30/15 7:01 AM

Rode Saturday and Sunday

Saturday 36 degrees and snowing (nothing stuck) easy L-1 effort. Got out late on Sunday for close to 3 hrs down to the RI border with some intervals thrown in mid way, beautiful late afternoon ride. Sunny breezy cool at around 42. Had to book it for an hour to get home in time for a yoga class....

Surprised after doing so much high intensity trainer work yesterday was the first time on the road I felt good, loose and fast. Previous rides have been difficult and not that comfortable albeit with less nice weather and temps. Hoping this ride is a harbinger of spring!

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

3/30/15 8:06 AM

Yep

I've been out a little; commuted Th/F; lots of snow on Saturday; a pleasant ride on Sunday. This week I've got jury duty (yeah, I got selected) so I *may* ride if the weather looks good and I can find a reasonably secure-looking location to park the bike.

I am *so* tired of driving!

JohnC

3/30/15 9:00 AM

Commuted 5 days last week here in central Connecticut (I live about 30 miles north of Andy). 3 of 10 rides were rainy; 2 mornings the temp was 20 or lower. It was great. I hadn't ridden since the second week of January, The roads aren't as bad as I expected. It was snowing a little this morning, but not much, so what the hell.

Haven't been out for a weekend ride yet. All rides so far have been on the bad-weather commuter fixie, with cross tires. I should get out on the road bike soon.

dan emery

3/30/15 9:37 AM

Feelin' good

>Surprised after doing so much high intensity trainer work yesterday was the first time on the road I felt good, loose and fast<<

I felt good over the weekend too. So good that today my legs are tied up in knots and I'm pedaling squares on the commuter bike...

Reply to topic    

April

3/30/15 5:46 PM

quote:
"spring slush."

Exactly what I was plowing through when I busted my leg in 2006. East TN Slush....

How did it happen sparky? Did the binding not release?

Sparky

3/30/15 7:43 PM

Did the binding not release?

It did, but I believe the percussion of the late release while highly stressed twist on my leg did the deed. I stupidly thought the high din setting from a few years earlier last use due to my 20lb additional weight was OK and good to go. And worse did not effect and test releases prior to the use. Dumb!

Ride wise; the Paramount got 53 miles of luv today.

April

3/30/15 8:46 PM

hmmm... perhaps the binding did not release remotely close to the DIN settings? 20lb isn't such a big difference, though combined with a high DIN setting could do the deed.

DIN setting is a fine balancing act. I had a couple of premature release a few weeks back, very unpleasant!

Sandiway:

quote:
Fortunately there was some powder left on the north facing mogul slopes.

Slush on mogul skies a lot like powder. Next time, look for slushy bumps lower down. :D

Sparky

3/30/15 9:01 PM

I was hitting mogul field back last use and kept upping the settings to keep the skis on. So I hear ya. I paid a big price for not being more proactive about it. Or maybe it was just in the cards with the combination of things as you suggest.

Andy M-S

3/31/15 7:55 PM

Did it.

Left my bike locked up in downtown New Haven all day, and it was still there when I came back!!

henoch

4/2/15 7:06 AM

I raced on Saturday morning, then did a long ride on Sunday
As you can see it's still pretty cold around here.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/2/15 8:47 AM

good for you

Henoch you are a Hardman. I'm still transitioning from the Cave, looking at a group ride Easter am weather prermitting.

Reply to topic    

henoch

4/3/15 9:35 AM

Dan, it's probably colder up in Maine, was about 32 (with a wicked wind) at the race last Saturday and in the high 30's (though again with a crazy wind, so the windchill must have been below freezing) in these pictures on Sunday.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/5/15 8:16 AM

I finally got out on Friday

The temp was nominally in the low 60's, but it was cloudy and in sheltered and/or low lying areas where there was still a lot of snow, it was significantly cooler. It was really good to get out and work the legs a bit and I felt a lot better than I expected.

We're going to try to get out on the 'cross bikes today on some local dirt roads where the snow has melted.

Come on Spring!

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/5/15 4:28 PM

Out today

About 60 miles, hilly. 30s F rising to 40s, sunny, freakin' beastly windy. Actually thought about turning around and riding indoors, but stuck with it. Felt quite good after I got into it a bit. Happy Easter all.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

4/6/15 8:13 AM

This weekend

It blew! and blew and blew. Got up early Saturday to avoid the worst of it (forecast-ed 50 mph gusts in the pm) I wanted to get down to one of my favorite places to ride... 60 or so miles down to Cumberland RI but as you can see it is kinda open no shelter from the wind:

Words for this weekend's riding:
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange ....
I'm going where those chilly winds don't blow
Winds don't blow
And I'm going where those chilly winds don't blow

Lot of po men have dem Cumberland Blues

https://youtu.be/sNDjlV-goI4

Sunday a little less forecasted only 30 mph gusts but kept in sheltered roads

Reply to topic    

greglepore

4/6/15 10:15 AM

They can't win for losin'

Had deep 50's on on Sat and did a Thomas at one point, and several unintentional jibes...

70 here today, finished moving manure so guess I'm goin' where the weather suits my clothes.

Sparky

4/6/15 11:05 AM

Was glad I had on SL23s yesterday, especially towards the end of the ride. I made it back to my car, loaded up, headed toward home and within a mile the rain hit. Lucky timing. There where sporatic gust during the ride, good thing I cut it short at 30 miles to get back to the car before the rain. ;) But that last 3-4 mile it was obvious the front was upon me, and the HED jet/deep would have been little fun, albeit only for the last little bit.

Considering I was pretty sure I was getting wet before I was done, but rather not skip riding... I feel luck prevailed.

70 sounds good, it made it in the 50s [but felt like riding in a fridge] here yesterday and was a stiff headwind on the return as well. Glad to be out in it either way as I am sure you all are as well.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -