Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

For Erik

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

2/27/15 12:54 PM

For Erik

Still flying! and kept flying by 309th Aerospace Maintenance And Regeneration Group amazing what 50 years +since first introduced? This WAS a bargain...
thanks for your service

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=809949832386701&set=vb.193404834041207&type=2&theater

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

2/27/15 4:00 PM

That is cool. They rarely regen anything unless it is being sold of shot as a target at Tyndall.

Those old beast sure smoke. I also bet there are a TON of avionics upgrades that still need to be done.

The old B52s have more unused wire in them than used wire. When new systems are installed the old system wiring is left in, so as you can imagine they end up being a spaghetti mess inside.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

2/27/15 5:07 PM

Boy, that is one dirty bird!

I was hoping the camera was going to track 'stage left' it after it rotated there...

Last edited by Sparky on 2/27/15 9:48 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

2/27/15 9:19 PM

I had read they had a fire in the O2 system of an active aircraft, not worth fixing and needed a replacement.

Apparently they keep enough in decent condition they can get them up and running for not too much money, so away it goes.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/1/15 10:05 AM

Noisy, too!

That brings back memories of living on bases where we had them flying overhead at all hours (along with KC135s, C151s and assorted "old school" fighter jets). After years of that, it was funny when we moved to NH and heard people complaining about the noise from the municipal airport near our house. We never even noticed it.

Reply to topic    

Garvin

3/2/15 7:20 AM

Noisy for sure

Great story and one that hits home. I dug up my flight log actually logged over 30 hours in Ghost Rider (61-0007) as a Navigator. AMARG does amazing stuff. I dropped off a few planes there when one of the bases I was at closed.

You think they are noisy on the outside...they are just as noisy inside. Over 135 decibels during low level flight. Add in the odors and dirt of 50+ years of use and the crew compartment design flying it was an assault on the system. Still beat working for a living!

Here's more of the story:
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-ghost-rider-b-52-rises-from-the-grave-to-ride-aga-1686588702

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -